Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Robert Dentico
Robert Dentico
Mid -Coast Maine - US
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Cyborg 69
reverb 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 17
Newest Members
DucatiPete, mk31755, MAM, Jonez69, Ian Nash
11,976 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Magnetoman, Richrd, Mark Z, Stuart Kirk), 20 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,252
Posts757,941
Members11,976
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Lately I've had the bike jump when starting out as though I just dumped the clutch instead of steadily releasing it. Now I find myself very slowly releasing it from stand-still. I did fully lubricate the cable not too long ago but I've never had to baby a clutch like this in my life (11 bikes). This is a set of clutches from MAP with ~1000 miles on them. Clutch components appeared excellent at the time. Haven't changed oil type (20/50 Valvoline Motorcycle oil) Primary shares oil with engine. Is it time to inspect or just learn to use it very slowly and carefully? Is there a known cause for this and is it damaging if left un-handled. Thanks! Brian

1972 TR6RV
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I had a similar situation recently. I changed the shock hub rubbers and it's gone now.

"The Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, once they've tried everything else" Winston Churchill
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by DavidP
I had a similar situation recently. I changed the shock hub rubbers and it's gone now.

Thanks DavidP. I did fail to inspect these when I was in there and I'm sure they are original. Somehow it doesn't make sense that this would cause rapid engagement but I may have a look-see and change these out in the process. -Brian

edit; How difficult was it to change them out? Where did you buy yours?

Last edited by BAinLA; 08/12/21 6:11 am.

1972 TR6RV
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
The importan question is what are the slots in the chainwheel like & which plates are you using ?

Bike Beesa
Trevor
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
SENSODYNE tooth paste also cures "sensitivity."

B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
The importan question is what are the slots in the chainwheel like & which plates are you using ?

Slots were pristine, M.A.P. set of steels and frictions.

1972 TR6RV
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
Originally Posted by BAinLA
Originally Posted by DavidP

Thanks DavidP. I did fail to inspect these when I was in there and I'm sure they are original. Somehow it doesn't make sense that this would cause rapid engagement but I may have a look-see and change these out in the process. -Brian

edit; How difficult was it to change them out? Where did you buy yours?
+1
bad rubbers can cause the cush drive to skew as it compresses .
Rather than just compressing and rebounding , the hub in action , adds a bid of "wonk"
in an area without much room to spare to begin with .
( once the rubbers are taken out )
a really bad cush drive will show gouging on the backing plates
where the spider arms rubs troughs .( hardened metal sliding against hardened metal )
At some point replacing the rubbers isn't good enough .

Last edited by quinten; 08/12/21 11:59 pm.
2 members like this: gavin eisler, kommando
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks DavidP and quinten, I appreciate the tip and the explanation. I guess I need to get in there and have a looksee. Leaks a little oil anyway from the primary. Low miles bike (21K miles) just old. If I remember from the last ice age, It is sometimes a bit of a bear getting those new suckers in there. -Brian

1972 TR6RV
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
You can make a tool with an old steel plate and a a bar.
Grip the hub in a vice and use the plate/bar to twist the centre. Not too bad a job.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
To rebuild: There are a number of videos and how to's out there on the internet showing you in varying degrees of detail how to rebuild the clutch center. For example, Lunmad has a real helpful video with practical tips on how to do this,
and the Lowbrow site covers it, but far less completely. https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/blogs/motorcycle-how-to-guides/triumph-650-clutch-inspection-service and there is a Lowbrow movie part 12 at about 5 minutes on Youtube
, but neither Lowbrow video or guide really sheds the practical light on the process that Lunmad does.

Or, if you have the budget, and the rebuild job is not for you, you can just buy a new complete hub. There are lots of places with these for sale, such as in LA near you https://www.classicbritishspares.com/products/triumph-bsa-complete-clutch-hub-assembly

Take a look at all the wear parts and surfaces. Although you said the slots were pristine, you may need a new assembly anyway, once you get in there, depending on how much wear there is on the front and back plates from the spider; after 21,000 miles it all could be worn out. It is worth fixing that wear too, and practically speaking, by the time you buy the plates, maybe the spider, and the rubbers, you may just find buying new is a better alternative, but YRMV.

1 member likes this: gavin eisler
M
Britbike forum member
Online Sleepy
Britbike forum member
M
BA, are your new discs cork or Surflex? The Surflex discs can be exceptionally grabby. I put a set on a T140, and they were so grabby the owner had me switch it back to cork discs, which performed "as normal".

(Note, I'm not saying you DON'T have a problem with your clutch rubbers. Inspection will tell the tale there; if the rubbers are hard and shrunken, they should be replaced.)

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
They were put in new about 1000 miles ago, bought from M.A.P. as a set of steels and frictions. If I had to guess I would definitely say Surflex but I don't really know what material is used. Good to know about your experience.If it gets any worse at all I will have to do something. -Brian

1972 TR6RV
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've heard nothing but praise for the MAP clutch discs.

"The Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, once they've tried everything else" Winston Churchill
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
I love my MAP clutch. It never sticks but it is very "grabby" when cold.

B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by chew652
I love my MAP clutch. It never sticks but it is very "grabby" when cold.

Hmmm. Good to know, thanks. -BA

1972 TR6RV

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com