Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 80
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (bsalloyd), 15 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#854904 07/29/21 4:06 pm
R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
I am wanting to report on my experience with Moyer Fuel Tank Renu in Greensburg PA. I got their information off of this forum and took my tank to them to be repaired. They have a very convincing website. There are 140 miles from me so I drove over to their shop to deliver the tank instead of shipping it. I when back over and picked up the tank on 3/15/21. The cost was $425.00.

They removed metal on the inside of the tank tunnel, cleaned and repaired the tank. They welded panels back in the tank, installed a liner and primered the tank. After finishing the rebuild on my 71 thunderbolt I had the tank painted and installed on the bike. After making 5 or 6 test runs on the bike for about 30 miles total I found the tank was leaking at the top front and paint was bubbling up. returned tank to MOYER on 6/30/21. Asked to talk to Joe who is the owner and the one who repaired the tank. I was never able to get him to talk to me, I dealt with Jim and he told me the tank would be done by 7/9/21. Finally got ahold of him on 7/13 and was told it would be done on 7/16.

Jim called and said I could pick up the tank on 7/17. He said he had welded up the cracks. I asked if he had repaired the liner that was in the tank and he had not. I told him I was not happy with the repair because I had paid for the tank to be lined and the liner was comprised. It should not have had gas leak through it the first time and was damaged when he welded the tank. He stated that they probably should just redo the hole repair. Called back on 7/23 and he said it would be done on 7/28.

I drove back over to get the tank and there was still no repair the the liner. Jim stated that was the best they could do with it. I asked if he had pressure tested it and hs said he had, I brought the tank home and used a mirror to lock in the tank. I can see the weld through the liner inside of the tank. I can only hope it does not leak again. Needless to say I am not happy with there service and would not recommend them.

BSA on eBay
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Wow...not good service at all. I can only imagine the nightmare you went through for months.

I had my original fiberglass tank (with original gelcoat) lined by a radiator shop here in Texas. So far, so good.

1968 BSA B25 Starfire
Parked in 1978
Restored in 2021
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
If a tank doesn’t have a liner, I wouldn’t bother with one unless it really needs it. Trying to successfully remove it is like Russian roulette. There’s a chance you will remove it all and there’s a much much higher chance that you won’t remove it all. If the tanks repair has been successful then you shouldn’t need it also.

Of course this is of little help to you as your horse has bolted and long gone.

I lined a tank of mine, to be honest it didn’t need it and I did a crap job of doing it also. It took quite a lot of methelyne chloride paint stripper and some specific tank liner remover, and setting fire to it all too. And I still am not convinced I removed it all. However I left the tank strip in for a fortnight and rotated the tank to a new position every few days, and nothing leaked so I’m quite convinced that the tank is ok.

You could try the same with some Acetone or something else with a low viscosity that isn’t water.

Did you get the paint repair sorted?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That's very bad service you've had from them and I guess the only redress you could get is to try and hold them to their guarantee of no leaks, whatever thats worth.

I agree with Allen, and since its a steel tank it probably doesn't need a liner assuming its been welded up OK and doesn't leak.

Their website mentions that tanks are sandblasted internally before applying their patented RENU coating, so I assume no further corrosion will happen.

The only worry I would have is whats happened to the RENU coating where its been welded up. My guess is that its been burned off but whether that will cause an issue is an open question.

Probably best to leave as is and carry on as long as its not leaking. Trying to remove the coating could end up being a big job involving a lot of toxic chemicals so best avoided.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I had a small fuel tank, 6 gal ?, on one of my old tractors that sprung a small leak. A friend who restores Porsche's recommended I take it to the radiator shop and have them clean it and then tin the inside. Worked a treat. Apparently it's something they do to old Volkswagen and Porsche tanks to remove rust and seal. Wonder if anyone has tried that with cycle tanks.

Bill

Boomer
Fuel Tank Renu is a franchise operation.
A word to Head Office usually lights a fire.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Boomer #854964 07/30/21 1:46 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Boomer
I had a small fuel tank, 6 gal ?, on one of my old tractors that sprung a small leak. A friend who restores Porsche's recommended I take it to the radiator shop and have them clean it and then tin the inside. Worked a treat. Apparently it's something they do to old Volkswagen and Porsche tanks to remove rust and seal. Wonder if anyone has tried that with cycle tanks.

Bill
All my cycle tanks that need lined for one reason or the other are done at a local radiator shop. They dip in a tank to clean, pressure test(fix any leaks) and then line. Cost of about $70 and is worth every penny.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
1 member likes this: SpeedyV
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
[/i]...Their website mentions that tanks are sandblasted internally before applying their patented RENU coating...[i]

I would be concerned about how effective their sandblast process is. How does one sandblast all of the difficult areas in a tank. I suppose if the bottom is cut out then easier acess would be available. Then, what about sanblasting the weld after the bottom is re-attached.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
Gary E #854979 07/30/21 7:03 pm
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by Gary E
[/i]...Their website mentions that tanks are sandblasted internally before applying their patented RENU coating...[i]

I would be concerned about how effective their sandblast process is. How does one sandblast all of the difficult areas in a tank. I suppose if the bottom is cut out then easier acess would be available. Then, what about sanblasting the weld after the bottom is re-attached.

And how do you remove all that blasting media without causing flash rusting inside the tank?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Just my 2p on liners. I did the tank on my Bonneville with por15 close to 20 years ago. It's had e10 gas in it everyday since and looks like new. Followed the instructions especially the part about getting it completely dry, then I let it cure about a month before adding fuel.

R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Took the tank to my painter and he is going to try to spot paint where it was welded. All I can do at this point is hope it does not have anymore leaks.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com