Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 86
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (gunner, gavin eisler, LarryLebel, Hillbilly bike, BigBars, BeezaBryan, Chris Johnson), 41 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
its 330 Acres
they rent golf carts on site ... but not clubs .

British motorcycles on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Dwight, tips for newbs:
Forget the bike. Cumbersome on and off, in everyone else's way. If you are looking for bits, you'll waste too much time lugging the bike around when on foot you can go from one vendor to the next quicker.
Know what you are looking for by checking parts books and their pictures now. So many people are one make/brand only in their choice of bike that they don't know what this or that is sitting in a random parts box because it isn't their chosen marque.......and they aren't too aware of it's real current value/price. Good room to haggle price.
Do not leap up and down waving that part while hollering "I found the Holy grail!" Price just tripled on ya! Instead try, "i dunno, gonna take some work to make it fit. I'll give ya xXxX."
Gloves for see below.
Boxes are made for digging, and the gold is at the bottom. Expect to get greasy fast.
Look for ratty Brit bike in vendor stall with 20 Harleys or Hondas. Then dig though those boxes for gold. If it ain't Harley, it's not worth [***]........and might be priced accordingly to that philosophy.
Several plastic bags to double up and carry things in. Also good to hand a couple to that guy struggling to carry a lot. He'll remember you later.
Small bills ones, fives, and tens. Vendors can run out of change quickly so it helps them out.
A few oranges. It's hot, and a lot of guys can't leave their piles of parts to get lunch or a snack. Can easily turn into a clutch cable for free, if you get my drift.
NOTEBOOK AND PENCILS! You may not make the deal today, but next week his wife might take the dog and the pickup truck and head south, leaving him with a sudden desire to negotiate low for cash.....

My best cheap golden finds were like that. Harley guy wanted 20 bucks for an old horn that wasn't Harley, got me a $100 Altette for that twenty; same with a chronometric Speedo or two..........

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Oh, that old white universal fit fairing in the corner of that swap meet space isn't really for sale. It's purpose in life is to travel back and forth to swap meets and find a new home each meet. That's why it's in the corner....really easy to nudge into the other guys pile of parts so he gets stuck taking it home. I should know - I helped it move through four spaces back in the 90's on the west coast.......

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
There's also Flat Track racing at the Ashland County Fairgrounds on Saturday night.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks guys. We're going mostly for the swap meet. My buddy for Japanese stuff, I for the ever-elusive Enfield crap or a Moto Morini V-twin (because a British bike hasn't caused me enough pain).

1964 RE Interceptor 750, 2007 RE Bullet 500
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
I disagree about walking the swapmeet. The swapmeet area alone is 30 acres. Walking simply takes too long. I use a pitbike. There are plenty of vendors that you can tell immediately are not going to have British or Italian stuff, even at the bottom of wet boxes. I typically ride from my vendors spot, figure out where I am going to concentrate and take it from there. Of course at this point, I have bad legs (if I was a horse, my name would be Elmer), but I learned the necessity of using a pitbike 25 years ago when I started going to Mid-Ohio. And I actually enjoy the crowded hustle and bustle of bikes going up and down the pathways of the swapmeet.

Ed from NJ

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Elmer you aren't, but good laugh Ed...

If you don't like change, you're going to hate extinction...
75' Commando
71' Bonneville
71' BSA Firebird
71' B50 Street tracker
62' BSA A10 Super rocket
60' BSA DBD Goldstar roller
97' Buell S3T
09' KTM 990 Adventure
00' Sherco 2.5
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
The pit bike with the side car was my favorite

laughing

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
No vintage racing at Mid-Ohio?

That's sad...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Not since Iannucci debacle... do you still live on Earth?

If you don't like change, you're going to hate extinction...
75' Commando
71' Bonneville
71' BSA Firebird
71' B50 Street tracker
62' BSA A10 Super rocket
60' BSA DBD Goldstar roller
97' Buell S3T
09' KTM 990 Adventure
00' Sherco 2.5
1 member likes this: PINEMONKEY
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Be a bit careful of riding bikes with no plates on the roads of the Mid Ohio facility. They have rent-a-cops everywhere and every now and then you can run into one that actually thinks he has real authority and tries to enforce the license plate rules.

I admit, I had forgotten to put a plate on a bike a number of years ago, but one of their Barney Fife's let a pack of unlicensed dirt bikes go by, then stopped me on a street legal bike and proceeded to pretend he was going to go all Terminator on me for no plate.

It de-escalated quickly when:

A. I got off the bike and he realized I was considerably bigger than he was

B. He also fathomed that his butt head attitude had triggered a response that was likely to get his night stick inserted painfully into a dark moist place.

He quickly backed down and told me I could go.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ron T. in KY
Not since Iannucci debacle... do you still live on Earth?
I thought WERA had jumped into the gap?

Actually, I stopped following this post/section when AHRMA went away, but something caused me to click on it...

Last edited by GrandPaul; 07/10/21 3:03 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by quinten
its 330 Acres
they rent golf carts on site ... but not clubs .

No, it's not. I'm talking about the swap meet area that you walk around.

The entire area bounded by the pit fence, the perimeter road, and Steam Corners Road that includes the entire swap meet area plus the entire parking area next to the swap meet is only 80 acres .... Just measured it on Google Maps just to make sure.

My and my son have 330 acres here on our farm ... I know what it looks like. It's half a square mile, way bigger than the Mid Ohio swap meet.

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There is AMA vintage road racing at mid-ohio plus trials and motocross!
Dwight are you bringing your enfield? I am bringing my 1965 new bullet 350....I'm In first swap row by the golf cart rentals. Brian

Last edited by royaloilfield; 07/12/21 1:46 am.

Brian
1 member likes this: wadeschields
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Nope, bringing a pickup truck and a gullible friend.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
No vintage racing at Mid-Ohio?

That's sad...
There's racing. Most disciplines.

I'm signed up for Road Racing.

1 member likes this: GrandPaul
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
For those that area in the ‘hood early, we are meeting at Hog Heaven in New Philadelphia Wednesday evening for dinner and possibly an adult beverage or three.

“If” the hole in the wall diner is open on SR 39 north of Millersburg, breakfast there Thursday morning about 9. If they are not open…..we will figure something out.

I am pre-registered for the hare scrambles, so we can get in Thursday at a decent time. I only have 1 canopy, so if anyone has a pop up or access to a canopy, it would be appreciated.

Yesterday morning, it didn’t look good for having a trailer to use. After a L O N G day, the trailer is mostly functional. Now to get a Brit bike functional eek. The Bul is ready to go! And sort out stuff to put in the trailer. It is gonna be a long week…..

Since so few people show up anymore….I have some smoked sausages to grill either Thursday or Friday. Will get buns and onion/pepper. Likely chips too. If anyone wants more, please bring it or go to town and acquire.

David Duke…..I have your tickets printed, let me know roughly when you are arriving so I can look for the call.

See everyone this weekend

1 member likes this: royaloilfield
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have to work on Friday so its not practical for me to get there this year... Very upsetting !! I was looking forward to seeing everyone .... Damn It ....

Ill look forward to the stories and photos

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Well, went for the swap meet mostly. $50 admission per person was steep, IMO. But, you can park reasonably close for no extra charge. We took the bicycles and glad we did. Lots of walking otherwise and it was nice coasting down the hills even if we had to walk up. We only saw one food stand, painfully overpriced for just hot dogs and hamburgers. Two manufacturers present, Royal Enfield and Honda. No long pants so couldn't test ride (my own fault but too hot to not wear shorts). The few races we watched seemed to have minimal entrants.

As for the swap meet, if you were seeking metric dual sport bikes or parts Bob was your uncle. I saw very few British bikes or vendors. Really nothing there to draw me back. Even my Honda/Yamaha pal who came with me was underwhelmed. We were both put off by the incessant riders on bikes, quads and SxS's just aimlessly riding the aisles and clearly not shopping for anything.

Not sure who this event is geared for but it's not me.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Well, just got back from the 9 hour drive back home from MidOhio, Fay and I did.

Overall, had a good time this weekend. Stayed in a nice B&B where we know the people who also stay there every year. Got to see the folks that I enjoy seeing in the BritBike world at the meet and catch up with what was going on with them, review to see if they bought anything neat, hung out with the Ohio Valley BSA OC crew. Got to see RichB and No Name Man and royaloilfield and David-in-Atlanta, and two Mikes and Don and Dave Kirk and Tiger Joe and Jack Adams and others.

When Fay and I popped over the hill on Steam Corners Road and saw the spectacle laid out in front of us (the world's largest motorcycle swap meet, 10,000 people in the campground, and 3 racetracks), Fay said "I can't believe that you want to go to a thing like this. It looks like a cross between the Quidditch World Cup and Bartertown!" And that's exactly what it looks like. Sort of fun to be a part of, for just a bit.

The weather was decent, low 80s and dry although it got hot in the sun on Saturday afternoon. The food stand in the swap meet was pretty expensive (cheaper down by the track) but it was OK and you're not expecting CostCo prices in the middle of this thing. The traffic marshals got everyone in and out of the facility with minimal lines - just ride up, get scanned, and you're in. Organized pretty well, although even though the rules were "ABSOLUTELY NO DOGS", dozens of people had their dogs with them. I was selling things so didn't get to go over to the track, but heard scramblers scrambling and road-racers buzzing all day Saturday.

The downsides were the usual. Half of the crowd in the swap meet was just people endlessly riding their pit bikes and dirt bikes and ATVs up and down the sales aisles, up and down, up and down, ad infinitum. I saw the same old men on 125 Suzukis, and the same 975 people on Honda Trail 70s go by my spot 20 times in the course of the day, and the same 2,500 open-pipe chambered two strokes throwing gravel and dirt clouds all day long, the people on them never even looking at what was for sale, just riding up and down. The meet is 90% Japanese trail bikes from the 60s through the 80s; if there weren't 1000 CT-70s there, I'll eat all of them myself. All priced at stupid high prices. I sold a good bit of my random stuff, but most of the crowd was not there to buy, just to walk or ride up and down and look around. Royaloilfield sold some Norton stuff and had big boxes of random parts, but nobody bothered looking through them to see what was good in there; 10 years ago, those boxes would have been ransacked 15 times. It's definitely different than you remember from 20 years ago. All the serious buyers from that day are now old men riding on the back of golf carts peering around at the crowds ....

I'll probably want to go back in a year ....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ron T. in KY 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com