Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
makrph, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby
11,840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gordon Gray, Doug P, Tridentman, Gary Caines), 28 guests, and 85 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#854582 07/24/21 3:10 pm
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Hi,
Both fuel taps on my 1937 250B are so tight to turn, needs a pair of pliers. I took them off and apart, and they are made from brass with a cone design. It was quite green in the body, so I cleaned them up but I am not too confident of the design.
Can anyone recommend a fuel tap in keeping with the vintage? Its 1/4" in and out with a fuel filter around a brass post.

Royal Enfield on eBay
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
My experience with the various reproduction taps is not good. It seems to me that with the all-brass taps like you have, stiffness is quite common. However, there is a special assembly grease made for the job. I've seen it advertised by firms which sell vintage spares.
..Gregg

Spyder Integrated Technologies
Lucas & BTH Magneto Restoration
Lucas & Miller Dynamo Restoration
SMITHS Chronometric & Magnetic Instrument Restoration
[email protected]
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
I had a career with natural gas. For plug valves we had a product called Walruth grease that could withstand methane. Your local gasfitter, or gas utility staff may be a source. You need only a dab, not the whole can.

MM turned me on to EZ-Turn from Aircraft Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...fGhOlxEjB5YXdyiSVTqolAuLjEYaAiILEALw_wcB

Works a treat.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
You can polish/grind the tap internals together with something like brasso.

This is a very fine grained abrasive for polishing brass, if you don't have it in your neck of the woods.
Valve grinding paste may be a possible alternative, although you need the finer sized stuff.
Don't overdo it, or they may not longer have sufficient size to work !

This enables a very good fit together of the taps.
Even unmatching ones can be ground together to work.

Ye seen the original-ish G on fleabay ?
Back again, price (slowly) coming down.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bo8AAOSwuA5g8nLc/s-l1600.jpg

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Those taps are probably the best of the lot,as Rohan says just lap them in and they work perfectly again,not like
cork inserts that always leak after a short time.

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Thank you gents, that was a very informative reply. I have looked at the various links and in the UK, the grease products are very expensive (£35). Its actually cheaper to buy 2 new taps with a vitron seal, although I hate doing that. I will try brasso, then use 100% silicone as a lubricant.

If I want to post a picture, is the only way via a link?

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Steve W 1959
If I want to post a picture, is the only way via a link?

Yes, although you can make it display by putting the [img] fore and aft of it, with the / in the 2nd one.
(if I actually post both of them here in full, they won't show in the text.).

If you post your pics to an image provider, they are free and easy.
I use www.postimage.org you don't need to sign up, just upload and grab the link and post it here.
Don't forget to save the link, it may be useful later.

P.S. Soap makes a good lubricant for tap mechanisms, and also for preventing leaks.
Roll your tap threads in soap and they will never leak either.
If you moisten the soap first ...

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Ok, lets give this a try....

For those who are interested, here is a picture of my project bike - a 1937 Royal Enfield 250B.

I would be interested in views about whether to keep with the 'war' colour or restore to factory colours. The bike has provenience in that it was used by the home guard in Manchester just prior to WWII. Manchester council would have painted it green.

https://postimg.cc/S2RsDKnW

V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
The cone type fuel taps i know, have a small spring with a nut in the back of the lever. Tighten the nut means compressing the spring and tighten the lever. Maybe you just turned the nut too tight? I´ve a cone tap on my AJS and it turns very easy..
On my 1930 RE i have the push pull type, they also work pretty well with new cork gaskets. But the cork needs constant wetness from fuel. Otherwise it drys and than leaks.

Rico

Last edited by vintagebike; 07/29/21 7:58 pm.
V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
That is definitely a bike to keep as is. As a fellow 250 sidevalve owner I can tell you it doesn't matter how fancy, polished and painted it is, no one will be remotely interested.

A 250 sidevalve still in its warpaint and ridden hard is another thing entirely. The aim is to keep it clean (no rust). To make it absolutely as reliable as possible, and then to ride the bejabbers out of it.

It has no performance to speak of so you have to flog it anyway.

The idea is to only enter it in riding events (the upcoming Levis Trial is made for it) and NEVER in shows. Ride it to shows to leave it in the carpark for others to stare at. I guarantee you will generate far more interest with it on the road than any other way.

It'll teach you how to ride and squeeze a quart out of a pint pot.

Get out and enjoy.

1 member likes this: Chris Overton

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com