Regrettably, as often, Quinten's 'argument' contains a number of basic logical and technical failures ...
the old finned rectifier had its own ground .
... and suggest that the fuse should have been put on the ground side of the battery. Well, in 1966 they did just that, but they discovered: if the fuse failed while the bike was running the bike would keep running and damage the rectifier. The next year they change the harness with the fuse on the feed side of the battery
In quoting JH, Quinten fails to remember your wiring diagram only a few posts earlier in the thread:-
... which clearly shows "POD TRONIX" ... like the vast majority of reg./rec., the Podtronics
doesn't "ground" through its mounting ... its DC wires connected directly to the corresponding battery
terminals, a fuse next to either battery
terminal, if the fuse blows, it will isolate both battery and
reg./rec from the rest of the bike, which will stop.
What a fuse next to battery
+ve on a "negative ground" bike won't
do is - as I posted before - protect the harness from something metal touching the battery
and a random metal bit of bike.
Otoh, a fuse next to battery -ve
on a "negative ground" bike will
protect the wiring from that short. And
it'll protect the harness in the event of a short anywhere else in the harness.
electrical convention defaults the fuse to the switch side )
And where every new car and motorcycle made has it .
No idea on this "convention".
Perhaps Quentin will enlighten us from his vast expertise?
However, his logical and technical failure here is every new car has and most new motorcycles have an electric starter. That present, "ground" cannot be fused because the current used by the starter far exceeds any other component's consumption, any fuse would have to have such a high rating, it couldn't protect from a short anywhere else in the harness.
It's specifically why I posted, "non-electric-start bike
" in my post #854448 ...
I'd ignore the advice about moving the fuse to the negative side .
What Quinten is also ignoring are the regular posts in BritBike and every other old-Britbike internet forum detailing wiring damage caused precisely as I've described, "something metal touching the battery
+ve terminal and a random metal bit of bike". While I'm sure you aren't heavy enough to bend the seat pan to the battery
, you never charge the battery
without removing it from the bike and any tools kept under the seat are wrapped securely, you perhaps don't always remove the battery
when doing a 'quick fix' under the seat ...? In the event of wiring damage due to an unprotected short, I wonder if Quentin's offering to nip over and fix your bike's wiring ...
Quentin's and my advice posted, you choose?