Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
makrph, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby
11,840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gary Caines, Jeff K., Gordon Gray), 30 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks Don, The idea of using an exhaust pipe expander sounds promising. I'll order the 2 seals and pop the timing side cover off and cure that leak and do the crank seal while in there.
I will most likely keep this bike for short trips around town. It's like a dream really. I never thought I'd have another bike and then this thing fell in my lap so I got it running and had a little fun. Riding in L.A. is risky business and a second of complacency or bad luck can really cost you. But it is more fun than driving my car. I would like to be able to take some really long rides with a more reliable bike though. So I might take your advice and see a dealer near here. Maybe he'll take my bike in trade lol. Or I'll go the used route. Not sure. My first real bike was brand new, why not my last. -Brian

1972 TR6RV
Triumphs on eBay
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Brian, Studio City is not so bad. Downtown is really bad. Miles to get out of city. I've ridden through San Francisco a few times. Terrifying. First off I don't know my way well. Lots of cars parallel parking, & pedestrians. Once out of downtown not too bad. Sad fact of life for us city slickers, we must travel bad traffic to get to the good riding areas. Getting rear ended is my biggest fear. 405 is really worrisome. Diamond lane is 65, next lane over at stand still. Cars getting in/out of diamond lane is so risky. Brisk acceleration & good brakes are a must. But not too far to some good riding areas for you. We had friends in Pasadena & the Mercedes training center was in Rancho Cucamonga. Many trips & tours of the greater LA area. I choose to drive to Rancho so I could take my mountain bike as class got out early most days. 20 years once or twice a year to Rancho & I toured every spare moment in the car or bicycle. I hope to get a bike trailer & do some of the BSA owners club rides in your area. As well as Lake Chacuma rally each spring a little north of Santa Barbra. My new truck is too tall for me to load bike by myself safely. So I need trailer. I was going to Chacuma when covid hit so canceled. I'm not quite yet comfortable with large gatherings due to the rise in delta covid. As you know LA county just did new mask mandate. They should do that up here too. Cases are really going up locally.

Anyway, nice chatting. Basically what we do on every ride. Take a look at the new bikes & let us know what you think. Bad thing happened in next town. Triumph dealer ACE motorsports Concord CA lost the Triumph brand. No idea why. Only 5 miles from me. Google needs to update this on maps. Closest dealer is Dublin, 20 miles from me. Only Dublin, San Francisco, Marin, San Jose remains. Very low stock on Bonnies. They seem to go fast. Looks like your Burbank dealer has a few new 2022 in stock. Looks like prices are same as here. 15 miles from your house. Not too bad. Depending on traffic of course.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Does anyone out there still bore and sleeve AMAL's? I used to send out brand new carbs to make them better. Reliable. It's up to you to make one of these old turds reliable. I have been in parts of Nevada, Idaho and Mexico where no one in their right mind should not have been on a 40 year old Triumph with no problems. I used to live in Van Nuys, so you are close to Angeles Crest and Moorpark at the west end of Simi Valley. Moorpark is the gateway to some of the finest, twisty mountain roads in Ventura County. The Norton Club Hanson Dam Ride is coming up. It is a must do.

https://socalnorton.com/calendar/

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
desco, I see that the Norton Club Hanson Dam Ride is in November. I'll probably have everything sorted by then.Crap, I missed the Prince of Darkness ride 17 July. I would have gone if I knew about it! Idaho? Mexico?? You must have some brass ones. The furthest I ever rode in all the years was from near Berkeley to Lodi and once to San Francisco on my trusty '66 (or was it '68?) 441 Victor (special?) which I had gone through 100% including the obligatory big-end bearings.
Don, I wasn't even aware of that dealership in Burbank. It's just 7.8 miles from here. I'll go out there today maybe. I went out to the Simi Valley dealer (~30 miles) about 8 years ago and looked at the Thruxton, which I thought was too hunched over for me. Thanks for the tip. -BA

Last edited by BAinLA; 07/23/21 9:44 pm.

1972 TR6RV
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
A little clarity. I lived in Idaho for a year. Nevada is thirty or so miles on the other side of the mountains. I used to truck the 72 down to Temecula and explore San Diego county and Mexico from there. I had friends in N. Calif. and trucked the bike up there to explore there and Oregon. I've been on the Coast Highway from Oregon to Mexico, Some sections many, many times. Took a few years. I like trucking through the boring, dangerous stuff and unloading where the signs say "Winding Road. next 28 miles".
Some where in the Triumph Owners Handbook it says, "You need two Triumphs, one to ride and one to work on". Some times I have had two to work on but, once they are sorted out it's more like two to ride. And "If you own a Triumph you should also own a pickup truck" Trust me, it's in there.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Exhaust stub repair;
https://www.shopevengineering.com/
Reasonable and great customer service. They did my 72.
Candle for a headlight;
Run a ground wire from the headlight socket back to the battery. Turns it into a flame thrower.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
desco, thanks for the link and for the ideas. I just came back from the Triumph dealer. If I buy one, I know which bike I'll be working on at least.

Yes I have a pickup. It's older than my bike but runs like a Swiss watch. If I ever need to load the bike into it, it will surely be a YouTube moment. It's basically a one-ton with high sprung rear. It would definitely take 2-3 guys to load it up using my 2"x12" lumber. Getting it off backwards, maybe one guy or 2.
I'll try the ground wire trick and report back. Thanks again. -Brian

Last edited by BAinLA; 07/24/21 3:54 am. Reason: typo

1972 TR6RV
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I used to know every place in SoCal where I could drop the rear wheels of the truck into a ditch so I could unload my bike by myself. Same for loading. Trust me, there are ditches all over the place. Hansom Dam, Moorpark. If a bit away from the ride start at least people will think you rode to the start line. Ha.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
I'll keep my eyes peeled for good ditches. When I unloaded it from the rental van on day one, I just pulled up to the high curb plus raised lawn we have here and rolled it off the side door no sweat. My truck bed is 32 inches so the ditch trick will work better. Thanks for the idea. Brian

1972 TR6RV
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Brian, Which new bike was you thinking of?

Adding ground wire to head light will only help if it has poor/weak ground. Volt drop test all parts of circuit with headlight on. It will show where any weakness is. End of day the little bulb just isn't enough to any old persons eyes. It was not so good when new. Modern lights have certainly spoiled me. The LED BPF bulb may give more useful light. The one with 16 little LEDs 8 on each side of light. The one Classic British Spares sells. I can see a fair amount better with it. Certainly not way better, but $40 better? I think so. Cars can see you way, way better in daytime & it uses a fraction of the electricity as normal bulb. A big help for us that deal with city traffic.

I'll be mostly off line for a week. A little access now & again.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Hi Don, I liked the Bonnie 120. I see a 2020 one for sale there for 10K new. I didn't go for a test ride though. I spent more time in the parking lot fielding questions from admirers. A lot of guys were just fawning over the ancient antique LOL.

I thought LED with the old BPF lens/reflector was too disbursed and lousy pattern out front. Anyway, I don't drive at night. I did check the grounds but not under load so a quick check with a length of wire as desco suggests will be interesting. I bypassed one bullet connector already to get my flashers to flash so maybe the headlight connectors are equally corroded (30 years sitting outside). Enjoy your trip or whatever. -Brian

1972 TR6RV
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com