Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
royaloilfield
royaloilfield
Trenton, New Jersey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 67
quinten 61
DavidP 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
Allan G 18
Newest Members
neilhart, Dguzzi, Peter McCarthy, Seb Clare, Trevi
11,779 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (BeezaBryan, Tridentman, Blown Income, gunner, Boomer, OriginalScott, quinten, LarryLebel), 36 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#853872 07/16/21 7:29 pm
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Hi all,
I have a T140E 1980 with spoked wheels. I’m getting a shake from the front wheel, I fitted stainless rims and used the original spokes. Wheel was trued, no wobble, not oval, all spokes tensioned, fitted an Avon Road Rider 100/90 19”. Set wheel up on axle stands and balanced with spoke weights.
From about 35 to 55 MPH it shakes, above that speed smooth,
Pulled the forks apart and checked all the internal components and order with the genuine workshop and parts books, reassembled with SAE5 fork oil and 1” spacers on the springs. Forks are not sticking and work smoothly.
Still the same from about 35 to 55 MPH it shakes, above that speed smooth,
Fitted a Vee Rubber VRM191 100/90 19” tyre at 28PSi, balanced tyre, now it shakes from 30 to 42 MPH, when you get to 50 MPH and above it’s smooth.
My last bike was a 1972 TR6, I fitted stainless rims, new tyres, balanced tyres, trued wheels and all that, no problem, no shakes just smooth at any speed, so I have done all this before and on other bikes as well. I know the change of tyre altered the vibration period which points back to balance but as I ‘ve said I have balanced wheels before with no problems so what’s happening here?
Can any one tell me what I am missing or do I just live with it as it’s not un-ridable.
Thanks in advance, Steve.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
check the engine mount bolts ?

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Yes done that and all tight.

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
OK an update, missed the white spot on the VEE RUBBER tyre, I have now lined the white spot on the VEE RUBBER tyre with the valve and rebalanced, sorted, vibration gone, smooth at any speed! I contacted Avon and received an EMAIL back saying there tyres do not use a balance spot, they should work in any position, this was from the technical department. So I have a front Avon tyre which is four years old with about 200 miles on it, and it seems to be faulty as I could not get it to work in any position on the rim. Never fitted a VEE RUBBER tyre before but it seems to be grippy and stable, how it wears I shall find out in due coarse!

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I would suggest the wheel was not balanced correctly with the Avon tyre fitted

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
I would suggest the wheel was not balanced correctly with the Avon tyre fitted

Or mounted correctly.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com