Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
makrph, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby
11,840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (bill50cal, Magnetoman, Gary Caines, Steve Erickson, GJVGC), 22 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by wadeschields
Great photos Tom !!.... Really sorry I missed Oley this year again... Work always getting in the way .....

Work: the curse of the drinking class! beerchug

But look on the bright side, brother- you'll have another chance to miss it again next year! laughing

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
lol laughing

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Well gang, I’ve sold my R100RS, to be delivered to its new home this Saturday. Next bike is going to be a 2011 Triumph Sprint GT- to be brought home sometime in the not too distant future. So I’m one step closer to an All-British motorcycle stable!

EDIT: dropped the bike off to a very nice guy who had a stable filled with several Airhead BMWs, a modern R9T, and a large handful of Honda Dreams. Oh and there was a small single cylinder BSA tucked away- back in a corner.
Kinda feels like my RS is staying in the "family" of true motorcycle enthusiasts!

Stay “tuned” for more moto mojo.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/09/21 10:50 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
New scans in today. These are Film Photos from Gratz AMA Vintage Flat Track racing, Oley's AMCA meet, and NYC too. I'll pop off a few and we'll take it from there.

Sixth Street Specials window w/ trophies. Shot this numerous times but this might be the best to date.

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

back to Gratz at the Starting Line:

and..... GO!

meanwhile at Oley, here are 2 lovely, matching 1965 T120Cs- ONE VIN number apart from one another!

Oley was packed with fantastic bikes- loads of BritBikes among other interesting stuff

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
How about some color shots?

and, back at Oley for some good old American Iron... with one my absolute favorites from this run of film shots

I like this one pretty good too

nice paint, dude now where's my apple pie

here's one you don't see every day

and finally, this old truck was pretty darn sweet!

Here is a LINK TO MY ZENFOLIO GALLERY if anyone cares to give it look.

I'll post more later, probably.
Cheers!
Tom

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/12/21 1:39 am.

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
At the beginning of this year, I decided there are some bikes I want to own & ride, and daylight's a burnin. Nothing for it then but to sell off some stuff and bring some new Iron into the fold. First step in this direction was to take my pair of 6TAs down to Beno Rodi. Next on the list was the sale of my long-time fr ind, the Big Rig, the mighty mighty K1200RS. I intended to replace the Big Rig with a Sprint GT... but along the way, I fell into the lovely BSA A65T- a purchase I hadn't seen coming, although when the chance came along I went for it. This kind of forcedly hand somewhat- after a bit f thought o n the matter, I made the choice to sell off my beloved BMW R100RS in order to purchase this Sprint. And so this morning... There's a new "beast in the east"- and I'm at the point of having an all-British bike stable.Brought this 2011 Triumph Sprint GT home yesterday afternoon. Not only the most modern bike I have owned yet, it's also my 1st modern Triumph. Feast your eyes and "say hello to my little friend", the Silver Bullet

Got to roll over to the DOT in a few minutes to get it registered, tagged, & titled in my name, then as I have the day off and the Sun is shining, I'm going for a ride! Look for more pix of this later on...

Cheers.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Looks good Tom...

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by wadeschields
Looks good Tom...

Thanks bro.
After some minor mucking about, the Silver Bullet is Road Legal. thumbsup
Time to ride.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I made the choice to sell off my beloved BMW R100RS in order to purchase this Sprint.

Of all the bikes I've sold over the years the only 2 I wish I still had are the R75/6 and my 65 Panhead. Polar opposites but fun enough in their own right to want them back. Looking good Tom! Hope to meet up somewhere this summer.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

2 members like this: ricochetrider, Gordon Gray
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
You will not be disappointed in the Sprint. An amazing big mileage muncher

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by MikeG
I made the choice to sell off my beloved BMW R100RS in order to purchase this Sprint.

Of all the bikes I've sold over the years the only 2 I wish I still had are the R75/6 and my 65 Panhead. Polar opposites but fun enough in their own right to want them back. Looking good Tom! Hope to meet up somewhere this summer.

I loved that R100RS, but figured I'd had a good run with it. Not that mono RS's are all that readily available but airhead BMWs are practically a dime a dozen, so no worries on ever having another. Hope to see you too, Mike! Looks like things are gonna get busy for me starting mid July, but maybe we can all get back down to Georgia to meet and ride again?

Originally Posted by bodine031
You will not be disappointed in the Sprint. An amazing big mileage muncher

Thanks man, initial impressions are good!

Had about a 140 mile ride yesterday on the new bike... didn't get too far out of the realm, in fact I didn't get out of the realm at all! laughing
So here are some pix of a different bike in some of the same places you have probably seen already...

top of the ridge between Perry & Juniata Counties on PA route 274

lunch stop (boom boom burger & fries) at the little honky tonk store where PA routes 75 & 641 intersect

typical old arched stone bridge just outside Fannetsburg PA, going south towards Shippensburg on PA route 533

coming out of a world of BMWs with their top-of-class fairings & windscreens, the "protection" level of the Sprint comes up lacking... that said, I'm certain there are taller windscreen options- and my legs felt like they were tucked in reasonably well behind this bike's "sport" style fairing.

Overall impression: lovely.
Ergos: comfy.
Ride quality: phenomenal.

Bike rides and turns like it is on rails.The 40 pounds difference off the weight of the massive K1200RS, combined (I believe ) with the 17 inch tires give the bike a nimble feeling all around. The triple is awesome and this bike feels like it wants to run! I found myself riding generally faster on average, with the bike feeling best around 70- 75 mph on long, open valley roads. This bike really does do everything pretty darn well- and not that this is a negative, per se- but it definitely leans more towards the "sport" side of "sport touring" - although I feel 100% certain it's going to be absolutely capable for distance riding.

Over the next few weeks, I hope to get out on a run around Pennsylvania and at that point, with any luck, I'll get to ride it under any & all conditions. Not that I'm all that enthused about riding in the rain but I want to see how the bike- and its fairing- perform in wet conditions. Sooner or later, I'll be traveling on this and it's gonna be rain or shine anyway. Hopefully a wet weather shakedown will reveal any possibility for "comfort" upgrades in rain riding. The stock windscreen basically does zippo, it's like a sport bike screen. I know there's a world of taller options, I gotta talk to the community to see what everyone loves best. All that said, there is zero buffeting, my head is completely in "clean" air during travel- so there's that.

For 2-up riding, I had Cynthia sit on the bike in the driveway. The seat has an exaggerated "step-up" between driver and pillion positions- she's taller than me anyway, so she's really going to be propped up well into the wind- I know this is something she doesn't prefer; she'd much rather be tucked in behind me. BUT we w not know for certain how much she'll hate it, until we ride together. The saddle is well padded and has a somewhat abrasive texture to it. End result: zero, absolutely no sliding around while riding. While this may have it's downside, I think generally it's a positive- and time will tell. We all know there are many saddle options.

I pan to ride the thing a while before deciding on any upgrades or changes... the terribly ugly stock silencer is 1st not eh "list" tho, that much I CAN say. smile

Cheers.
Tom

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Hey Tom. I finally got around to printing a couple of negs from my first toll of P-30. I can see a lot of uses for this film. The base is quite clear and the the contrast is enhanced so it will make a decent copy film when working with faded originals. I've been using a Kodak film originally made for printing movies from original negative movie films but it isn't made any more and I'm down to my last 100 foot roll. As I recall, P-30 is derived from a motion picture film not unlike the 5302 Kodak emulsion I have been using. Hence the clear base and slow speed. Great for putting some bite into old bike photos shot on dull days to get some life into them.

Nice bike. The only " modern " Triumph I have had the pleasure of riding is a '98 Thunderbird Sport. On one of my birthdays, my nephew came over from Vancouver on his and announced that the tank was full and handed me the keys. Nice birthday present! ( the ride, not the bike......)

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
1 member likes this: ricochetrider
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Hi WIlf,

The P30 is indeed based on an old movie film- I've not seen it yet but Fellini's "8 1/2" was shot on the original P30. Some evening soon, I'll queue it up and watch it with popcorn & beers.

I shot a couple rolls of Kodak Vision3 250D film but it requires special treatment- it's an ECN-2 development IIRC but most places these days cross process. it in C-41, if I'm not mistaken.

I shot 2 rolls of it and the first roll had a weird tint but roll 2 I sent to a different lab and loved the results.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Been riding the Sprint GT every day. Not long rides just 100 mile +/- loops around the local roads. Liking it pretty well.

One thing I will say: it's faster & quicker than I am!
Oh, and...
It's more modern, too!

laughing

Went out today to dodge some rainstorms. I was mostly successful, still drying out... Came back into my home town of Lemoyne behind what must've been a pretty serious storm. It had pushed off east of the house and I could see lightning bolts shooting down out of the black clouds over there.
Hopped off the bike at the house, pulled my phone out of the saddle bag and found a text from Miss C that read, "Please tell me you are home safe and sound." Guess a real humdinger went through up where her office is, and she knew I was out riding.

Sure is nice to have somebody who cares. thumbsup

Here's a shot from a couple days ago, the Silver Bullet at the newly rebuilt Dellville Bridge, out to our north & west in Perry County, Pennsylvania.

Cheers!
beerchug

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/26/21 9:16 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
OK, too cold to ride, so what to do on a cold damp day other than post some pix?

right o then... how about a couple more from Sixth Street Specials to begin? This shop is amazing in so many ways, not the least of which is the historical aspects of NYC motorcycling and the motorcycling community there. Hugh has been in The City for a long while and has been deeply immersed in the community all along. The amount of interesting eye candy in the shop is vast. I feel like I see something new every time I go there, and Ive been going there for a number of years.

These B&W photos were shot on Kodak Tri-X 400 iso film, in my Viogltander R3m with the 40mm f1.4 Nokton Classic lens

and in living color...

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/30/21 7:12 pm.

1 member likes this: TR6Ray
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Back to Oley, and to Gratz as well....more color photos. These color photos were shot on Kodak film- either Ektar 100 or Gold 400. Camera used, was my gifted Praktica LTL which you might recall was a fellow BritBiker's father's camera- bought on the black market in Soviet era Poland. Prior to this, I'd only shot B&W film in the LTL, and was excited to shoot some color film in the camera. While I've liked what I'd gotten in monochrome with it, I LOVE these color photos even more! The lens on the camera is a Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.8 Jena Pancolar lens- and it's a widely celebrated vintage lens. It really shines here, and I couldn't be more pleased with these color photos.

Furthermore, the LTL has an in-camera light meter which I've never used. The camera is also fully mechanical, one reason I love it. In fact all my cameras may be operated mechanically, but I do use the battery powered light meter built into my Voigltander rangefinder.These color photos were metered with either an app on my phone, or perhaps I checked exposure settings using the R3m before the shot. Either way, all the exposures are pretty darn good, IMO- another reason I'm so pleased with these photos. It's quite easy to rush through shots and completely blow it all! Slowing down and paying attention pays off when it comes to Manual film photography- ya can't just set the camera on "auto" and take off- nor are any of these lenses "auto-focus" lenses, so in addition to getting the exposure right, you also have to nail the focus.

Hope you all enjoy these as much as I do. Any commentary is welcome, if any of these spark you, do speak up.

Cheers for looking.

Tom

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Had the Silver Bullet out for another +/- 175 mile lap yesterday. Getting to know the bike a bit better after nearly 1000 miles in the saddle over the past couple weeks. Yesterday it got its 1st taste of Pennsyltuckey dirt on some forest roads up in our Bald Eagle State Forest, more or less dead center of Central PA.

Had to turn around to get this photo- this stone abutment has all the hallmarks of a railroad bridge abutment- made of large ironstone blocks... except there's no bridge and no railroad and the side of the mountain falls off behind where I was standing to get this shot... but hey- it makes a great background, eh?

EDIT: as an aside, these stones are massive indeed. If you look more closely at them, compare them to my bike which has an OVERALL length of about 88 inches. The stone blocks appear to be roughly 4 feet long and 18 inches to 2 feet tall. Of course there's no way to know how deep they are but let's estimate a depth of 2 feet on these. This ironstone (diabase or dolerite for our English friends) was used for all the local railroad bridges and tunnels because of its strength and resistance to breaking- and its ability to withstand weather. Most ironstone blocks created for railroad bridges (including bridge piers at river or stream crossings) are of similar large-scale size. If you're into it, here's an ARTICLE discussing Ironstone, for the geologically inclined among us. The bridge pier where we put the Statue Of Liberty replica, Lady Liberty On The Susquehanna, is built of the same blocks as these.

Probably rode 5 or so miles along a couple dirt roads... I've ridden so much of the area within about a 200 mile radius of my home that lately, I've been making random turns to follow creeks, or sometimes mountain ridges... it's tough to really get "lost", as mostly, I'll come back out to some road I know. It doesn't always work out but I have fun noodling about in places I've never been. Yesterday I was following as closely as possible, a large creek named Penn's Creek that runs more or less E-W, when I came to a 3 way intersection with the road ahead labeled "dead end". This left me me with the option of turning around or turning right onto dirt. I knew I was in the Bald Eagle State Forest, and I knew I was in or on my way to Penn's Valley... and assumed PA highway 45 would lie at the end of whatever dirt road I was turning onto.

As I was mulling over the choices, a couple DCNR guys pulled up so I flagged them down to quiz them about my whereabouts. They were super nice and gave me a Bald Eagle State Forest map for future reference. They also confirmed that the road I was turning onto would indeed lead me out to PA rte 45- and I had options along the way to turn over the ridge and come down into Woodward (to the west) or go more or less straight out to 45 which would put me east of where I'd originally been headed- which was more out towards Aaronsburg or Milheim. Being as it was ~ 4 PM, I chose to head out towards the east and aim my front wheel homeward- as I was probably 70 some-odd miles from Harrisburg.

As an aside, Penn's Valley as I know it, exists between US 322 to the west and Woodward to the east. Just east of Woodward is a high plateau that PA 45 runs across for a few miles before it drops back down in the area of Laurelton. 45 goes on east, to Hartleton, Mifflinburg, and eventually out to Lewisburg, situated along 11/15. From Laurelton (where PA 235 intersects 45) east it's all open valley, but I believe Penn's Valley ends at Woodward.

My route, should anyone wish to follow along, went something like 11/15 N > PA 944 W > 34 N > 850 W > 74 N > 75 N/E > 333 N >35/333 > US 522E > 235 N.

235 had just gotten a fresh treatment of "tar & chip" or "oil & chip", whichever... this is a hillbilly method of "preserving" a road surface, where they spray the perfectly good road with oil or tar, then spread a thick layer of tiny limestone "chips" all over it!. I was just up there last Thursday, passing thru while riding another route that put me on 235 briefly, and the road was as normal- so this had JUST been done within the past couple days! It's quite unpleasant to ride upon, so when 235 crossed Penn's Creek, I made a left turn to follow it. I rode at least 10 miles or so along various roads sticking as closely as possible to the creek bottom before turning more or less North to get back out to PA 45 eastbound.

I then rode 45 E > 104 S > 11/15 S > 22/322 E > I-81 S > 11/15 S downriver past the Enola Norfolk Southern Rail Yard through Summerdale and Enola and Wormleysburg to the house.

Along the way where 104 crosses PA 35, I stopped to gas up, and popped in to this VERY tiny little "cafe" known as Cruiser's Cafe- an old place with a fair amount of character, to get a milkshake!

Edit: pardon the lack of quality in this particular shot- all these images were taken with my phone, looks like I might have smeared something onto my phone lens? Hopefully it's enough to get the vibe of Cruiser's Cafe tho? It's really quite quaint. Cheers!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 06/02/21 2:12 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Just got a bunch of scans in. Leftovers from Oley, stuff from the last Jalopy Showdown a few weeks back, and also the AMA National Hill Climbs down at White Rose MC.

Here's a couple quick teaser pix

Been something of a crazy week; as the entertainment industry gears up, work begins in various shops and rehearsal spaces... gotta get these tours up & running, and out on the road again. By year's end we expect to be moving at full speed. 2022 has more shows than ever before booked- so I get to really crank some money into my social security account as I near retirement!

Had an open calendar day so tomorrow I'm taking one of Wade's bikes up to New York State for a photo shoot- as he's in Florida on another gig. Things are busting loose all over the place!

Hold my beer Red Bull coffee water bottle and watch this! crazy

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Howdy...
Hope this finds everybody well.

I'm getting busy lately with Entertainment as a general industry getting back to work but still be managing to get out to shoot bikes& cars n stuff. I haven't sent anything to the lab time lately, so there is a considerable back-log of film to get developed. SO... meanwhile, here's a few pix of the JAP powered speedway bike from Oley back in April at the spring AMCA national. These were shot on my medium format camera with Fuji Acros 100 film. This bike was super cool! I glowed onto this shoot asI was looking at the bike when the Official AMCA photographer walked and started looking at it and talking to the owner- who is shown sat on the bike. I asked the gentleman of he minded me shooting over his shoulder and he was amenable- and super nice about it too. Unfortunately, I did manage to get his hands and camera in one of the pix... more unfortunately still is I don't have the skills to clone this dude's hands out of my photo! I gotta get up on some technique!

Enjoy, cheers!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/16/21 12:56 am.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
here are 3 from the 1930s folding Voigtlander Bessa, a handy and amazing little medium format camera that gives a 6X9 (cm) negative. OK so it's not a "real 9 cm, but more an approximation of 9 cm... Unsure what's up with that but I've been called on it already. All the same that's how the camera is advertised. For a camera that's roughly 85 years old, it works darn well! I've been shooting it more lately so at some point I'll have more pix to share from this little jewel of a camera.

The below pix were a total experiment. I shot the camera only a couple times up til this summer with mixed results. I figured I'd take it out and shoot mostly fresh film in it to see how it goes- although these pix were shot on expired Kodak Portra, so there's definitely some noticeable "effects" (discoloration most notably) from the old film stock. Other than that I'm super happy with these 3 I got -out of a possible 8.

Since these were taken, I shot the camera at the Triumph National Rally (1 roll), and again more recently at the South Mountain Raceway vintage Drag Racer's Reunion (2 rolls). I have more than a couple rolls of film to send out for processing so at s one point I'll have some stuff to show for my efforts. I'm super jazzed about this diminutive jet of a camera tho!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Loving the colors on that film

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Just got a bunch of film developed so hers some BritBike shots- from the June Triumph National Rally at Oley, PA. Been shooting my antique 1930s folding medium format Voigtlander Bessa a fair amount lately, so here are some photos from using modern "slide" (aka color reversal) film- Fuji Provia 100f- This camera amazes me, always- it's in very good condition and just turns out lovely photos. It's kind of difficult because you don't focus the camera precisely- it's a "zone" focus, in meters. Because of that it can be real hit-and miss. Luckily enough, with STILL objects it w works (for me) more often than not (so far). Moving objects, not so much! Another thing of note- I shoot almost exclusively in f/8. Theoretically, this means that everything beyond X number of feet away will be in focus. Well that's a nice theory, but as you can see, it doesn't hold 100% true. That said the out of focus areas are, IMO, pretty nice. The f inlanders photo with the 3 blue/white Bonnevilles I think is the worst of the lot, focus-wise- but I'm posting it anyway.

Anyway, the Fuji Provia renders colors very nicely and these are stand-out examples of a VERY old camera at its very best. Better yet, these are shots of BrtBikes!
Bear in mind also that there's no "real" viewfinder... so framing is somewhat... imprecise. That said, These are OK IMO and I'm well pleased at the results here. The camera demands full attention- there's zero lattitude and every single move matters. In fact, the camera creates, in theory, a 6cm X 9cm negative. 8 shots to a roll in 120 film. Honesty, I rarely end up with 8 photos when I shoot this camera- but I got it this time!! Here's an accidental double exposure that I actually like- because it features BSA AND Triumph motorcycles, something of a rivalry, certainly among today's owners!

I welcome any and all commentary on these photos.

Cheers.
Tom

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/10/21 1:58 am.

2 members like this: BeezaBryan, Hugh Jörgen
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dang nice photos of dang nice bikes & hot rods.

Thanx for that!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Dang nice photos of dang nice bikes & hot rods.

Thanx for that!

Thanks Paul.
I'm no Robert Dobson, so no cool stories to accompany the pix... Meanwhile tho, here's a somewhat timeless photo recently shot on the 4th of July 2021-
with the awesome East German Praktica LTL I was given last summer. The more I shoot this funky old camera the more I like it.
Allentown Pennsylvania Fairgrounds, Vintage Dirt Drags.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com