Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
makrph, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby
11,840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gary Caines, Jeff K., Gordon Gray), 30 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

Gerry and I carving our mark on the Tail of the Dragon ... She looks happy and comfortable on the back... No?
(That third picture will be ordered without the watermark asap... but I messed up on my order... )

We even got a Tshirt to commemorate our week together

Daily Rides turn by turn

Free day options

Topoco where Gerry and I had an awesome lunch

1 member likes this: Morgan aka admin
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Two Days at the Two Wheel Inn gave us a minute to really relax and get to know each other and catch up on what has been happening with my Texas friends... More importantly it Gave Gerry a chance to get to know Richard our host... After another meal at the steak house at the TWI where the California Norton Owners club picked up the tab for everyone's meal (38 of us) we all hung out in the pavilion again... Richard and Gerry and I stayed up till 2 AM partying a bit more and telling Gerry all the stories I heard in Texas.... Now Gerry knows why I always say that my 3 1/2 months in Texas may be the best 3 1/2 month of my life...

Next day was the long leg of the trip.. Robbinsville to Birmingham Alabama and the Barber Museum...

Not a pleasant ride ... My lights did not fix themselves and now my brake light apparently was not turning off and melted my taillight lens . frown

Gerry drove our Jeep with one of the other wives the 4+ hour journey while we cruised at 70 - 80 miles per hour on US highways.

We did stop for lunch at a really nice place... Took photos but I may or may not post them ... Dont want to bore anyone ..

Free For All for dinner that night and pouring with rain Gerry and I drove the jeep to a Mexican place for a tasty meal and when we got back everyone else had either gone to bed early or were still at their respective dinner choices... We went to bed too.... A week of hard riding and late night drinking wiped us all out ... especially considering the hot miserable ride that particular day .... And [***] was gonna be EPIC the next day at Barber... We all wanted to be our best....

A long breakfast at the hotel in Trussville and plans confirmed we all needed to be at the museum by 11:30 AM to sign waivers and get our arm bands and maybe have a little extra time at the museum.... By 12 noon we needed to be on the back side of the museum for a safety meeting (a real one) so we could all ride the track.

I had an extra half an hour so asked the nice young girl at the reception desk where the BSA Alloy Clipper was so I could be sure to see if in case I didn't get a chance to later... 3rd floor, back a hallway, into the new wing of the museum where the theme was apparently off road race bikes.... I took so many detailed photos of it that I almost missed the safety meeting !!!! shocked Everyone had left me .. I ran to my bike and kicked it over while I was putting my helmet on and pushing the bike in the direction I needed to be ... Jacket half on and gloves in one hand.... Got back there at 12 on the dot... Only to stand around for 45 minutes while the Porsche club did their laps.... Once they broke for lunch then we could have the track... They did dry out the track with every lap though...

Finally they exited the track and we could see a thunderstorm rolling in ... Big streaks of lightning across the sky.... Hurry up lets get this show on the road !!! Come on lets go ...

We had to follow a pace car so we couldn't go too fast anyway as per the safty speech and we were not allow to knock over the orange cones that the Porsche club set up... smirk That must be a thing people do ?

As we were nearing the end of our 2nd lap the rain started but only in one turn... That was weird but left the rest of the track dry for our next lap... Next time around the rain was covering more turns ... Wait is that hail !!!

Now the rain was covering most of the track and the pace car called it ... We were done.... And wet..

Back into the museum to wait out the storm and then to the hotel to get ready for dinner back at the museum that night....

We arrived via car services back at the museum at 5:30 . Dinner was at 6 after the museum closed . Gerry had not seen it yet and was blown away by the cars and bikes and even John Surtees Vincent lawnmower... She loves to mow grass.... I know what to get her for Christmas shocked

There is a video of our ride on the track and some other video . I will need time to edit and post that ..

Here are the groups shared pictures from the banquet and the 3 hours we had in the museum to ourselves after closing.... You really need days in there to see everything ....

Last edited by wadeschields; 07/21/21 6:02 pm.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

3 members like this: Gordon Gray, Bob E, Morgan aka admin
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Between the morning activities and diner at the museum Gerry and I walked across the street to a taco truck that got 5 stars on Yelp for lunch... Kinda Marvelous

This lady had just learned how to ride at 70 years old and was kicking ass on her Norton Commando

Sad to go we said our goodbyes and made it about 5 miles down the road till we passed this diner and had to get some grits one more time before the 14 hour drive home.... Our only stop for food that day but it was a good one... Robin may be the Beer finder but gerry can sniff out a good diner ...

Last edited by wadeschields; 07/21/21 5:53 pm.

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
A bit of a bother flipping my laptop upside down, but looks like fun.

PATIENCE GrandPaul PATIENCE ... Check it now ... Fixed and enhanced with photo descriptions as of this morning smile

Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
What a ride Wade, thanks for posting. You know that you can post here first and share the thread on FB.. wink

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support Britbike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British motorcycle forum on Facebook
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Morgan aka admin
What a ride Wade, thanks for posting. You know that you can post here first and share the thread on FB.. wink

I thought of that but didnt know if you wanted me to do that or if you post it to the Britbike facebook page?? I can do it though

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Nice, Wade! Looks like a rally good time. I'll have to do some looking at a map to check the routing possibilities from your last town (Robbinsville, was it?) in NC? TN? to Birmingham- it's possible to stay in hilly country into northern Alabama but at some point you just have to suck it up and do what it takes to get down there.

Cheers, bro. I look forward to more of your photos and drinking some beers and hearing more stories.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/21/21 9:53 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yes Tom I agree that there may be better roads for that last leg of the journey.. Gerry said that she was driving on a road following a lake or river for a long time while we were on highways .. I cant fault the trip planning as everything was amazing ..But if we find a better way from Robbinsville to Barber , Ill take it even if it take 2 hours longer....

Our daily routes were planned from someone in Texas and for the most part worked out really well. They were not expecting roads to not be marked and probably planned the last leg for just getting to Barber a fast way without getting on super slabs .. Lunch stop was great but Id sacrifice that for a more pleasant route on the next round...

Maybe we plan to do this at a time when the final destination will be the Barber Vintage Festival .. We might want one chase truck to take use down and bring us back... Gerry was willing to take one bike down on a sideways hitch carrier but she wont do a big trailer so we will need someone willing and able to haul a trailer big enough for how ever many bikes/persons we have

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Pretty sure Killboy/Club129 got pix of your group on the dragon.

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
1 member likes this: wadeschields
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Thanks Wade. A great ride.

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 Sportster
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Nice, Wade! Looks like a rally good time. I'll have to do some looking at a map to check the routing possibilities from your last town (Robbinsville, was it?) in NC? TN? to Birmingham- it's possible to stay in hilly country into northern Alabama but at some point you just have to suck it up and do what it takes to get down there.
There are many ways to skin that cat. But, I think once you get past Huntsville the roads to Leeds get a bit boring. There are some interesting roads SW of Barber though.
Yes, Robbinsville is in NC. The western end of the Cherohalla is in TN.
So far, I've never ridden the Dragon. Plenty of similar roads in the area without the bagger traffic.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Nice ride report Wade! I am green with envy!

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
So my funny lighting issue that crept up on the 3 or 4 day of our ride turned out to be several issues.. the dead headlight from day 4 was a broken ground wire in the harness .. the left turn signal staying on all the time when the headlight switch was on was the power from the headlight trying to find a ground which it found thru the turn signal.. the melted brake lens happened because the rubber mounted bulb worked itself out of its mount and was touching the lens…. Hopefully all sorted now and an oil change to boot .. I’m ready for the next epic ride.. although I might bring something different next time.. or not😏

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com