Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
No Name Man
No Name Man
SE Ohio
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 77
quinten 59
DavidP 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 23
NickL 16
Newest Members
Metalmangler, BazF, Sorefeet, Mmccarthy7220, Rcrich68
11,765 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (slow learner, kommando, Hillbilly bike, Chris Overton, TinkererToo, gavin eisler, Brian Brown), 25 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#854068 07/19/21 3:38 am
A
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
Pretty sure i,m going to regret making up a new thread for this especially after a few drinks (like a few days ago ) I,ve tried to do the advanced search but just not seeing what i,m after and kinda on a roll. I bought 2 new Avon road riders from a local distributer front and back which has,nt the capability to install, check for true and balance. So i found a service shop that could do this which advertised vintage. I took the rear wheel in first and they mounted the tire with the outer Vee,s faceing back, with the vee point forward with bike in a forward motion.

I had the front tire installed a month later and just noticed today that the tire has been mounted in the reverse direction, especially after letting them know that the brake drum is mounted on the r/h side of the wheel. To me the tread direction should a be all the same, pointy part facing direction of travel on both rear and fronts

Could use a little ammunition from you guys before i start dealing with this, Thanks Andy

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
From the Avon website:
"We call this Inverted Front Grooves. We have done a great deal of testing and research on tread patterns and found the front tyre is better run in the opposite direction to the rear."
https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyre-care/motorcycle-tyres/

Regards,
John

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mine have two arrows, one says Front fitment, the other Rear fitment. They face in opposite directions because the front needs more traction for braking, while the rear needs it for locomotion.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by DavidP
Mine have two arrows, one says Front fitment, the other Rear fitment. They face in opposite directions because the front needs more traction for braking, while the rear needs it for locomotion.

+1

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When looking at the tires from above the "VEEs" should point to the center of the bike. So for a front tire the "VEEs" point aft. The rear tire VEEs point forward.

Generally fitment arrows have more to do with the how the tire is made and how it resists being torn up under braking (the front) and under acceleration (the rear) rather than the tread direction. That being said after abusing many tires in my lifetime, I've never had a tire peel apart at the seam where two ends of a strip of rubber are joined to make a circle. As a tire wears I have on occasion seen this seam appear but it has never been a problem.

From what you said it sounds like the tires are mounted correctly.

SG
Royal Order of Hooligans

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 07/19/21 6:50 pm.
A
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
Ok thanks Guys With wheels lined up as they would be mounted on the bike both fitment arrows are going correct with the tire rotation.
The Vees are as you described Semper, Still a bit mystified how that works but now confident they are mounted correct Andy

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com