Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
No Name Man
No Name Man
SE Ohio
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 77
quinten 59
DavidP 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 23
NickL 16
Newest Members
Metalmangler, BazF, Sorefeet, Mmccarthy7220, Rcrich68
11,765 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (slow learner, kommando, Hillbilly bike, Chris Overton, TinkererToo, gavin eisler, Brian Brown), 25 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Life member
OP Offline
Life member
G
I just removed the AMAL 930/38 carb from my 1969 BSA 441 Victor Special. It was totally gummed up inside. I thoroughly cleaned it and it looks like new now. The question I have is that when removing the carb, there were two paper gaskets and an O-ring installed. The AMAL rebuild kit contains both a paper gasket and an O-ring. However, there was a note inside the AMAL parts kit warning not to use both an O-ring and a gasket when re-installing the carb. Mine had two paper gaskets and an O-ring installed when I removed the carb. It didn't look like the carb had ever been removed. The original owner said the carb had never been removed from new. The bike is a very low mileage unmolested original not started in a very long time. I'm trying to decide whether to use only the O-ring, only the paper gasket, or both. I'm tempted to use only the O-ring.

Current Bike: 1968 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1969 BSA Victor Special, M1030M1 U.S.M.C. Diesel
Previous British Bikes: 1968 BSA Lightning, 1969 BSA Lightning, 1969 BSA Firebird Scrambler, 1972 BSA B50 Gold Star, 1974 Triumph Trident
Previous Non-British Bikes: 1983 BMW R80RT
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When using oring, no paper gasket is used. Maybe paper gasket is used if there is a fiber insulator between manifold and carb.

Last edited by Beach; 07/17/21 10:42 pm.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
1 member likes this: Allan G
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
looking at the parts list, there should be a tufnol washer fitted. So the order should be paper gasket, tufnol washer, either paper washer OR O ring, carb.
Personally I use the O ring. Most important is not to overtighten the carb, you will distort the body. Tighten until it just, and only just, nips up.

G
Life member
OP Offline
Life member
G
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
looking at the parts list, there should be a tufnol washer fitted. So the order should be paper gasket, tufnol washer, either paper washer OR O ring, carb.
Personally I use the O ring. Most important is not to overtighten the carb, you will distort the body. Tighten until it just, and only just, nips up.

My BSA 'Replacement Parts List' book doesn't list a tufnol washer as one of the parts and it is not shown in the diagram. My parts book is dated 1969, Catalogue Number 00-5146 and says it covers the Model B44 Victor Special from PC07723BVS. My bike is PC8003BVS and is a 1969. My parts book only shows the O-ring. My AMAL rebuild kit instructions only state to use either the O-ring or gasket, but not both. I used the O-ring by itself.

Last edited by Gary Caines; 07/19/21 12:16 am.

Current Bike: 1968 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1969 BSA Victor Special, M1030M1 U.S.M.C. Diesel
Previous British Bikes: 1968 BSA Lightning, 1969 BSA Lightning, 1969 BSA Firebird Scrambler, 1972 BSA B50 Gold Star, 1974 Triumph Trident
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
1969 BSA B44 SingleB44VS -
VICTOR SPECIAL
FROM ENGINE NO. PC 07723
CATALOG NO. 00-5146

plate 1
page 8
part 17

70-7821 tutnol washer .

it shown with the cylinder head and cylinder ( plate 1 ) ... not on the carburetor page , plate 20 , page 54

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks Quinten, thought I was seeing things for a while!

Having run a B44R and B44VS both with and without said tufnol washers, they are definitely better with than without.

G
Life member
OP Offline
Life member
G
Thanks Dave and Quintin. I can't believe that the parts book would show the tufnol washer in one section, but not show it in the section where the carburetor bolts on. Plus, the AMAL instructions didn't mention it. I've ordered the part and will install it.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Gary, you must remember that these books would have been items that would have been distributed to dealers, they were also a lot more complex to make than clicking a few buttons on a computer. Drawings for cylinder heads etc etc would remain much the same for years, but maybe not so for the carb. The carb is also a non bsa produced item so it makes sense for it to be separate.

No one ever thought that saddos like us would be trying to restore them 50+ years later. And most likely few of these manuals were ever in public circulation.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
My AMAL rebuild kit instructions only state to use either the O-ring or gasket, but not both.

I've never heard about that instruction before, but it kind of makes sense and I guess the logic is that a paper washer will add additional thickness and prevent any O ring from sealing properly.

Regardless of paper washer or O ring the general idea is that there shouldn't be any air leaks between the carb manifold and head. How this is achieved is up to you and could be done using either method and ensuring there is no distortion of the carb manifold itself which is usually caused by over tightening the mounting nuts.

Tufnol spacers are intended to insulate the carb from excess heat and may be a useful addition if you live in a hot area, but you may need to fit longer studs if a spacer is not already fitted.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
G
Life member
OP Offline
Life member
G
I purchased a spacer and new O-ring and gasket but haven't installed them yet but definitely plan to. However, I have finally gotten the 441 Victor to run. I kicked it over at least 50 times. It would occasionally pop and sometimes backfire out the carburetor. My leg was giving out so I took it to the top of a steep hill. I tickled the carburetor and gave it one very quick whif of ether onto the outside of the air cleaner. I let the bike roll down the hill in second gear and let the clutch out. It rolled about 100 feet popping and snorting and finally came to life. I rode it for about 200 feet and stopped, keeping the engine running and checked to make sure oil was recirculating in the oil tank. The engine would barely stay running but I took off and rode about 2 miles in second gear at low speed. The further I went, the smoother the engine ran. It finally quit backfiring and popping and smoothed out. I was then so excited I kept going and rode the bike another 25 miles with it running great. No more popping or backfiring. The gearbox shifts really well.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com