Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 89
Rohan 66
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Morgan aka admin, Tommy Thomas, GJVGC, Dave Comeau), 28 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#851844 06/18/21 10:07 am
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
I'm looking at buying a 1967 650SS Norton built up from Dunstall bits including an early twin disc front end. What is odd, the frame is stamped WTS-2 and is registered as such on the V-5.(UK bike registration). The present owner is a real nice guy and says he has heard this could stand for "Works Test Special - 2 " but freely admits he is unable to substantiate this. Could any of you please comment on this please, thanking you in advance for your comments.

Norton on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Could be but no proof its a frame with an odd stamp, there are multiple more times BSA works scramblers than ever really built by the BSA comp shop. Pay what a bike with a funny stamped frame with good V5c but no connection to a works team is worth.

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Looked at the bike today, very interesting. In addition to the neatly stamped WTS-2 on the left side plate near the frame tube we could see the original frame stamp in the normal location. As the frame has been powder coated it was a little hard to read but what we could see was as follows (?)230(not sure about the 0)55P, Once again ?23055P. I suspect with a bit of clean up the frame number will be clearly readable. Do these numbers translate to anything? Once again thanking you in advance for any and all comments

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Speculating before we know the number is a bit like guessing how long the string is - before seeing the string !
P at the end usually signifies it was Plumstead built.
At least that rules out Elvis somewhere in the equation ...?

Methylene chloride paint stripper will take most powder coats straight off.
Although you only have a short window to work with.
Heat (propane torch) works well too, but well ventilated is the name of that game.
Anything else is just hard work ?

1 member likes this: NickL
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
coded frame number could be 'What's This $hit' etc.

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thank you for your comments. Rohan, good suggestion as to how to remove powder coating to read chassis number properly and I will do that as I've bought the bike and plan on picking in up on Monday, Once I've figured out how to post pictures will put up one of the bike and will update the chassis number follow up as well

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
[video:youtube]
[/video]

Got the bike home and riding it, great old bike in my mind. Resolving an oil leak from left side of cylinder head but once thats sorted will be riding the bike a fair bit this summer. Have made progress on the chassis VIN number but that will be for another post. Sorry about the poor sound quality in the vedeo.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As an aside, that is a beautiful bike and sounds great!!

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
+1
I'm not sure that is an aside - thats the whole point to bikes !

And if its in the owners care and all paperwork satisfied, then all is good in the world....

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Letters in a false frame number have no requirement to stand for anything.

WTS could easily be someone’s initials, stamped and registered back when some registration offices would do things like that for people building a bike.

The guy in my local office offered (without being asked) to change my car number plate because it was a Northern Irish number and that could worry people in Scotland and England. After all, he knew I wasn’t a car thief or a pub bomber.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thrasher, I agree but why the WTS-2 , the -2 bit seems to infer it's not someone's initials As I mentioned the original frame number is partially visible under the powder coating. I can read all of them other than 2 I have to guess at and they are the same as the engine number so I strongly suspect it is a match re engine and chassis.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
William Tyrell Special 2nd restoration ?
And my apologies William if it wasn't actually you ....

Someone here was stamping frames TDS.
It transpires it was Triton Development Services.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
What is the engine number?

If the 2 is not a 2 but actually a question mark, it could stand for “Was This Stolen-?”

Further scraping may reveal a “Yes” below it.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
The engine number is 18SS123055P, On the frame gusset I can read the following ?23?55 and fairly certain the 2nd ? is a 0. The plan is to take the bike to the dating representative of the Norton Owners Club and remove the powder coating in his presents to reveal the original frame number in it's entirety. Suspect this will be in a month or two. Will post results.

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com