Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 89
Rohan 66
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (TR6Ray, Bill Bassett, Tom A65LR, Kerry W, Triless, John Harvey), 20 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#853361 07/09/21 12:42 pm
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I have TLS front brake on my 67 A65 Spitfire. The nut securing the brake plate is a real pain. Is there a tool for tightening? its a thin nut set in a recess with very little clearance. I can only think a box spanner or hammer and punch. Any suggestions gratefully received.

BSA on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Box spanner and a set of mole grips on the other side the spindle.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Deep reach socket (there is a factory one around) or box spanner with axle on other side in a vice with soft jaws is my preferred option.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Haven’t tried this with a BSA but it works well on a Triumph so can’t see why it wouldnt work on a BSA as it is the same brake.
Connect the brake cable to both brake and bar lever.
Fix the axle on the non brake side securely in the timing side fork clamp with the wheel outside of the forks.
Slacken the axle nut and apply the front brake using the bar lever.
Keep the brake on using a zip tie and tighten the axle nut.
The nut is shallow so either use a box(UK) spinner or a tubular wrench (US) or a socket.
If using a socket then grind down the lead in on the socket to give a good grip on the nut.
Just my two cents worth of course.

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Thanks for the prompt replies. Food for thought.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Couple hints to add to this—spin the wheel and snap the brake on a couple times then hold tight while you tighten. Centers the backing plate and shoes. Tighten with a deep socket shower wrench from the set at Lowe’s or Home Depot. See eg https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft...cQwvEAAYASAAEgJvZ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Just measure before you buy to make sure you get the right set.

Last edited by linker48x; 07/14/21 1:25 am.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Ironic as it seems i just did this 2 hours ago, followed directions ive read from this forum by tapping the axle from the l/h side ( after installing then seating the l/h side bearing and grease retainer against the circlip and outer dust cover using the axle flange as a drift.) By again from r/h side installed the axle other way round into the l/h side bearing inner grease retainer, bearing and then dust cover. Then installed R/h the stepped support ring and then the bearing which have a slight interferance fit and both supported and spaced by a internal hub machined stop. Then reinstalled the threaded retaining ring and torqued it all into place against itself.

At this point i would need to write more then people here might want to even read, if so reply, but for now i followed what i had read, ( before you install and torque the brake cover retainer thin nut, give the axle a whack from the l/h side so to seat the axle flange up against the r/h bearing inner race, ) This did not seem to make any movement for me which was noticable

Calling that good to go i tried to instaled the brake shoe cover, after messing around with that for a hour i got the whole assembly reassembled. first time by useing large vise grips with gorrila tape to protect the axle, which is how i got it off useing a 1 1/8th deep socket 1/2 drive 6 point, ( you need a 6 point).

I tried to reinstall it with the same but clamps were not working well, As i read somewhere these nuts can come loose I borrowed a buddys impact drill i gave it one shot with that. All bearings, brakes cover are spinning nice with help from from Linker48x

After market wheel bearings and the grease they use up next

Last edited by andyame1974; 07/14/21 2:53 am.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Stan,
Originally Posted by stanoneandonly
TLS front brake on my 67 A65 Spitfire. The nut securing the brake plate
You don't say which TLS. This is important because most of the advice posted so far mentions "spanner", "wrench", etc., there are two different depending whether the spindle nut is '68 (Cycle thread) or '69-on (UNEF thread).

Usually the spindle thread corresponds to the cable position - '68 (cable inner parallel with link rod) or '69-on (cable roughly parallel with fork slider) but we're over half-a-century on and either brake plate can be fitted on either spindle.

Hth.

Regards,

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com