Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
makrph, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby
11,840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gordon Gray, Doug P, Tridentman, Gary Caines), 28 guests, and 85 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi David,
Originally Posted by DavidP
2 pints is about what I drain from the sump if it sits for a couple of weeks. Is that not wet sumped?
Given a triple's oil tank holds 5 Imperial pints and Phil Pick (Waking the Sleeping Beast) advised putting two pints in the crankcase ...

Hth.

Regards,

British motorcycles on eBay
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Stuart
Hi Lannis, Stuart,
Engine that's been standing unused for any length of time, the advice repeated on several Britbike internet forums for many years is to start with some oil in the crankcase, that oil immediately lubricating splash-lubricated components such as the cams, rather than those components running with unknown residual lubrication for the period until pumped oil drains into the crankcase.
Originally Posted by Lannis
If it's a BSA A10,
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
my '53 Gold Star,
Note this is "The triples forum", triples have larger crankcase volume than twins and singles, especially pre-units.

Hth.

Regards,

Well, quite, but you never know when a Triples guy might get tired of having 50% more of everything to fix than a twin and just drop back a cylinder and punt!

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Lannis, Stuart,
Engine that's been standing unused for any length of time, the advice .....for many years is to start with some oil in the crankcase
If it's a BSA A10,
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
my '53 Gold Star,
Note this is "The triples forum", triples have larger crankcase volume than twins and singles, especially pre-units.
Sorry. I, and maybe Lannis too, was hoping for a little comic relief for the triple guys. I've got a T150V myself and it has never soiled the floor like my other bikes have.

But that's a good point about crankcase volume. Since a triple has 3 pistons that rise and fall 120deg from the next one over, large crankcase volume or small, it will always be incapable of the prodigious pumping action a wet sumped single or even firing twin performs so effortlessly while splattering your floor with oil....

So, I guess we should count our blessings on this one.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Well, quite, but you never know when a Triples guy might get tired of having 50% more of everything to fix than a twin and just drop back a cylinder and punt!

Lannis
Not much fun when the bike decides to just drop back a cylinder and punt.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com