Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
royaloilfield
royaloilfield
Trenton, New Jersey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Comeau, bsalloyd, Magnetoman), 21 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Bry #852467 06/26/21 7:35 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...I finally got the exhaust system fitted and secured. After several attempts at bending and offsetting various configurations of silencer brackets, I got the best fit by resorting to making spacer to give - what I consider to be - the right line of the exhaust and sufficient clearance from the primary case and mechanism cover respectively.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

1937 Rudge Ulster (project)
1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
1 member likes this: Magnetoman
British motorcycles on eBay
Bry #852477 06/26/21 10:31 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I really enjoy watching you build a bike, Bry. The things some of you guys can do with a lathe makes me incredibly jealous, it's not a skill I've every had the opportunity to master.

I can't help one thing though. Every time I see your other wise beautiful Bonneville, I want to find the guy who laid out the stripes and politely ask how he managed to get them so wrong?

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by R Moulding
Every time I see your other wise beautiful Bonneville, I want to find the guy who laid out the stripes and politely ask how he managed to get them so wrong?
Took me quite a while to find that photo. Another 10 minutes of my life wasted...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by R Moulding
I really enjoy watching you build a bike, Bry. The things some of you guys can do with a lathe makes me incredibly jealous, it's not a skill I've every had the opportunity to master.

I can't help one thing though. Every time I see your other wise beautiful Bonneville, I want to find the guy who laid out the stripes and politely ask how he managed to get them so wrong?

Thanks for the comments and the well spotted observation on the T120 petrol tank painting.

I actually had a discussion with the painter on the location of the stripes before he started the job. He had a copy of the John Chrichlow/Dave Quinn paint spec sheet for 1966 and of course could have followed this. But he suggested - as I recall - that the general aesthetics and stripe placement relative to the contour of the tank at the rear would be better with a single solid red stripe with gold pin striping intersecting the centre of the filler and the centre stripe passing the inner edge of the filler neck unbroken. I agreed with him at the time and haven't regretted the decision since. This bike gets used a lot in all weather and the paint still looks good after almost 15 years. I don't know if you're the only one who has noticed this departure for the spec sheet but you are certainly the first to mention it to me.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
Bry #852564 06/28/21 8:24 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I really didn't want to come across as being a Dick. I'm afraid Triumph paint is something of an obsession of mine with 66 being a favourite. What your painter missed and is hard to tell from a drawing, is that the centre stripe is shaped to give the illusion that the outer stripes are parallel. By doing that they could keep the stripes on top of the tank.

Best pics I have of an OE 66 tank from above and front, it's from a 66 TR6C but is exactly the same layout.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sorry to crash your thread.

Last edited by R Moulding; 06/28/21 8:33 am.

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

Bry #852586 06/28/21 5:41 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...the wrong model of seat is on the bike.

I believe that it should be a Lycett Aero frame which has elastic cord supports, the one I have has metal springs. Also, the nose fixings don't seem to fit right with link plates compared to the plates riveted to the seat frame shown on the following drawing.

I have a source for a replacement which I am checking.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
Bry #852696 06/29/21 10:23 pm
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Hi Bry,
This ebay seller in Czech Republic have the aerolastics and fittings, They also make 100% replica Rudge and BSA parts
I have no vested interest, just a very happy customer, I would not have been able to get so far on the rebuild of a BSA L25
without their help. I have seen their Rudge parts and they are also fantastic
Send a message from the ebay link and they have a lot of other parts available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/joseph60.7771/m.html?_trkparms=folent%3Ajoseph60.7771%7Cfolenttp%3A1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l71970

John

Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by chaterlea25
Hi Bry,
This ebay seller in Czech Republic have the aerolastics and fittings, They also make 100% replica Rudge and BSA parts
I have no vested interest, just a very happy customer, I would not have been able to get so far on the rebuild of a BSA L25
without their help. I have seen their Rudge parts and they are also fantastic
Send a message from the ebay link and they have a lot of other parts available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/joseph60.7771/m.html?_trkparms=folent%3Ajoseph60.7771%7Cfolenttp%3A1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l71970

John

Hi John, thanks a lot for the information, this is actually the “source” I mentioned in my last post. It’s good to hear that you have had a positive experience with their parts and have seen the quality of their Rudge parts, I am hearing this also from others.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
Bry #853026 07/04/21 8:53 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...the front mudguard stays are not the correct arrangement based on literature and parts information that I have seen. The riveted bridge arrangement in the mudguard does look original but the stays seem to be home made (although quite well) from brass tube.

I ordered the correct one piece stay, this fitted well after some slight and simple adjustment. I have round head solid rivets as used originally, the factory seems to have also used washers under the heads of the rivets (not sure why?), so I made some washers. However, I did not set the rivets and just reassembled with screws and nuts for now. I am not that keen on riveting the stays to the mudguard before powder coating and painting as I like the idea of the stays being removable from the mudguard. I will likely turn rivet looking dome heads on bolts and chemically blacken them for use on the final assembly.

Existing arrangement

New stay with unset rivets

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
2 members like this: GrandPaul, Magnetoman
Bry #853504 07/11/21 8:25 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...the 7" Lucas headlight and switch assembly fitted to the bike are not correct, it should be an 8" Miller unit. The lower headlight stays are also not correct, I believe they should be shorter, the same part (M4579x3) as the upper stays. The correct headlight and oval profile lower stays had been included with the parts that were supplied with the bike.

The heads on the rivets on the replacement headlight mounting bosses had not been correctly seated so I removed the paint and replaced the solid rivets. I annealed the copper rivets and using a pair of snap tools seated the heads again the mounting boss flange before peening and setting.

The stays required a bit of adjusting to get the correct spacing for the headlight fitment and alignment with the bolt holes. I made replacement bolts for the headlight mounting. I made these bolts slightly longer than the drawing so I can use the threads that protrude inside the shell as ground wire connection studs if necessary.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
2 members like this: GrandPaul, Magnetoman
Bry #853516 07/11/21 10:40 pm
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Good to see you making progress….

If you ever make your own stays, this jig might be of interest to you. Not mine, it was posted on another site. The bender is as per usual, but I thought the die for flattening the ends was noteworthy.
I also came across a video recently where the fellow was making round sheet metal plugs to fill holes. He cut out a piece of sheet metal slightly larger than the hole and tack welded a piece of coat hanger wire to the centre. The wire was chucked into a drill…. ran the drill and used an angle grinder to trim the patch. It worked well.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]F0E23C61-7CDD-4661-972C-C5F57ED915DD by First Last, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]094548BD-A96C-4635-A73F-A51A2A901D88 by First Last, on Flickr

Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Cyborg
Good to see you making progress….

If you ever make your own stays, this jig might be of interest to you. Not mine, it was posted on another site. The bender is as per usual, but I thought the die for flattening the ends was noteworthy.
I also came across a video recently where the fellow was making round sheet metal plugs to fill holes. He cut out a piece of sheet metal slightly larger than the hole and tack welded a piece of coat hanger wire to the centre. The wire was chucked into a drill…. ran the drill and used an angle grinder to trim the patch. It worked well.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]F0E23C61-7CDD-4661-972C-C5F57ED915DD by First Last, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]094548BD-A96C-4635-A73F-A51A2A901D88 by First Last, on Flickr

Thanks for this information, I really like that die arrangement for flattening the ends and giving options for flattening one side or both sides. When I made the mudguard stays for my Triton (https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/637908/re-55-triton-cafe-racer#Post637908) I did consider making a set of dies but the examples I had seen involved relieving the surface of the die block to give the shape. In the end I just pressed them flat with a straight edge. The one in the picture would be much simpler to make and use.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
Bry #853557 07/12/21 3:43 pm
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
That’s what struck me about the die…. it’s simplicity. I’ve made/modified a couple of stays, but any idea I came up with for forming the ends sounds similar, as in machining the block. The fellow that made it is quite a character. Amongst other things he spent time operating mills and lathes while rolling around out on the ocean.
You can just make out a small pin in the centre, which I assume is for setting the desired length of the flattened area while keeping the tube from squirting out of the die.

I haven’t read through your Triton thread, which I will do as it looks very well done. I have an orphan wideline sitting in the basement along with a nice tank that says Triton on the side, but unfortunately it’s not even on the radar at this point.

Last edited by Cyborg; 07/12/21 3:50 pm.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Richrd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com