Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 89
Rohan 66
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (L.A.B., Hillbilly bike, triton thrasher, BeezaBryan), 24 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#850479 06/02/21 2:56 am
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
This is a follow-on to the "electrical problems make my head hurt" thread. I did some testing, and realized that I had posted some erroneous information in that thread, so I want to set the record straight.

This test is of a healthy 11AH AGM battery after charging, with a voltmeter across the battery terminals. Static voltage (nothing on) is 12.8 volts. When I turn on the ignition, the voltage drops to 12.3, but then immediately climbs back up to 12.5. (This is apparently the result of the ignition module energizing the coil and then de-energizing when no signal is received from the trigger mechanism.) Now I turn on the headlight, which is a sealed-beam automotive headlamp, I believe 45-55 Watts. Note, the taillight is also on, and of course the ignition is still on. Voltage drops to and remains steady at 12.1.

When everything is disconnected (turned off), battery voltage recovers to 12.7.

An unhealthy battery will read lower when loaded, to a varying degree, and won't recover into the high 12's when unloaded.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
British motorcycles on eBay
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Automotive batteries "recover" due to their chemical nature. batteries do not behave like other electrical devices in that they have more than a simple ON and and OFF state. They develop what is called a "surface charge" which can give a VERY misleading, higher voltage reading. Because of this phenomenon, the surface charge must be bled off before a typical VOM can make sense of a battery's state of health. Most shops would use a device called a Battery Load Tester. The BLT is nothing more than a calibrated resistor that can knock off the surface charge in a couple of seconds, combined with a volt meter.

About 15 years ago, we here on BB.C developed what we thought was a workable equivalent to test battery life in a standard home shop. It consisted of charging the battery, turning the headlamp ON for a timed 2 minutes, and THEN immediately taking the voltage reading.

If you don't use one of the profession battery testing devices, or the BB.C method, then all bets are off. Despite very good intentions, you're just fooling yourself with a hand-held VOM.

Hope this helps.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
2 members like this: BSA_WM20, Allan G
Mark Z #852698 06/29/21 10:34 pm
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Amen!!

Mark Z #852700 06/30/21 12:07 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
battery Load Testers sound as though they are an expensive piece of kit.
I bought mine about five years ago for about $30.
A very worthwhile investment that has paid for itself many times over.
Just my two cents worth of course.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I bought the cheap load tester at Harbor Freight. It's really too much of a load for a 7 or 9 AH battery, but it will certainly tell you if your battery is junk.
I usually use a 40W lamp with an ammeter in series and a voltmeter across the battery, but the headlight on for 2 minutes test is adequate.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
I don't know what the argument is here. I essentially did a load test on the battery, per the "BB.C" method, as outlined by R.F., although I may not have left the headlamp on for a full two minutes. I have performed the same test in the past on a weak battery, and, when loaded, the voltage dropped into the elevens, and then when unloaded, only recovered into the low twelves. A duff battery will perform even worse.

We have a load tester at work that we use to test our 80-110 AH marine deep-cycle batteries, and I agree that the load is a bit heavy for anything smaller than a 30 AH battery. That is, you want to hold the button for a shorter period of time, and it may show "slightly weak" for a good battery.

I failed to mention that, immediately after charging (i.e., with a charger), battery voltage will read inordinately high, like 13V - you have to let the battery sit for a while to get an accurate static voltage reading.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com