Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 89
Rohan 66
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Tom A65LR, hammerhead, dave jones, Shane in Oz, John Harvey), 25 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
SOLD !

Here is a link to a Google photo album made today. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QTTZFDJJ5jPW6tJ97

Lots of the photos have a description, but I can't possibly describe every tool. However, I assure you that there are enough tools to rebuild ANY Triumph (twin or single), BSA (twin or single), or Norton twin. I know this because I did it professionally for nearly 10 years working at the largest Brit bike dealerships in Atlanta, starting in June 1966. During this time I attended factory training schools for Triumph and Honda. Most of the Triumph tools were ordered in 1971. At that time I ordered almost every tool offered.

There are also a few tools made or bought for working on DBD Gold Stars and B50 Gold Stars.

I used the money to attend Engineering night school, but even after graduation I continued to work part time on Brit bikes up until 2015. In 2010 alone, I rebuilt 35 engines, but I have no idea how many engines I've rebuilt with these tools. I take care of my tools and oil them often, so they are in excellent condition.

You can still buy many of these pullers from oriental sources, but they do not come with all the small bits that make the tool really useful, but my "factory tools" have all those "bits and pieces".

You may not recognize my name, but look at the join date and post count for confirmation. I'm asking $450 plus shipping via USPS Flat Rate.

Any questions, please write. More photos on request by PM. Include your cell and I can text.

Regards,
Richard Whatley

PS. I sold all my 3-cylinder tools in 1978. No 3-cylinder tools here except for the basics shared with the Twins.

Last edited by RF Whatley; 06/24/21 12:29 pm. Reason: Sold.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
British motorcycles on eBay
Life Member
Life Member
Boy that won’t take long to sell.

Good on you Mr Whatley for passing those on at such a bargain.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I should resist the temptation, but I won't. I'll have 'em if they're not already sold. We can sort out the details. Lemme know how you like to get paid.

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Lannis
I should resist the temptation, but I won't. I'll have 'em if they're not already sold. We can sort out the details. Lemme know how you like to get paid.

Lannis

THANK YOU LANNIS............I can't say you have no idea.......because you DO.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Lannis -
Your personal check will be enough when we meet. I travel to Winston-Salem every several months, if you want a face-to-face. Some of the finer points probably do need going over in person.

I have a Gmail address for you from several years back. I'll pick up the conversation there.

Regards

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Damn How did I miss this frown

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by wadeschields
Damn How did I miss this frown

Wade,

This is the first board I check, every time I log into BritBike, which is a few times a day starting with coffee before I go to work and immediately after I get home from work. On my days off, it is periodically throughout the day from morning coffee time onward. That's how to not miss these types of posts.

However, and it is typical with RF Whatley's posts if you don't see his tool listings right away, there is a good chance, someone else will have beaten you to it. I know as I have missed a few but did score once!!

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Dang, RF's post had been up for about five minutes when I first saw it, and I said, "Naw, someone's probably already got it".

Two hours later, it was still up and I said "It's a Heavenly Sign!" ....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
I gotta tell you guys, most of those tools have been with me since 1971, and a few as far back as 1967. So as I was packing them up I began to think about the tools and the people I worked with back then. One was my very first life-mentor, Rudolf "Kemp" Hanes. At 55, he was a master Triumph mechanic and was a tremendous influence on me, a young wanna-be Triumph mechanic at age 21.

He was the one I credit with really jump-starting my thirst for knowledge, which ultimately led me back to engineering school and the life I have today. It was Kemp that insisted if I wanted to be a first rate mechanic, to get a 3 tier Snap-On tool box and then fill it with Triumph tools. So I did. I ordered almost every twin and triple tool in the book. Then I ordered the box and every British Standard socket Snap-On made. I took me about a month to pay it all off, but with the right tools, my salary was growing. And Kemp kept on instructing.

That's what I was thinking about today, exactly 50 years later. Time really flies when you love Brit bikes. (I'm looking back and it's almost like looking at another person's life. The phases I've seen... it's almost like I've had 3 or 4 complete lives. Wow, what a ride!)

So in honor of Kemp, who is no longer with us, I'm going to post a re-print of a story I wrote about him for the GABMA newsletter way back in May 2004. I'll post that in the British Motorcycle in General forum for all.

Thanks. And thank you again, Kemp.

Link to article: https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubb...-friend-and-mentor-kemp-hanes#Post852633

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
2 members like this: Bob E, Gordon Gray

Moderated by  Steve Erickson 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com