Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 79
quinten 53
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 19
Newest Members
Steve W 1959, Bobpin, VWK740, Alloy Clipper, DonB
11,757 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (ricochetrider, Nick H, Hugh Jörgen, paulberry, LarryLebel, Nomad6T), 28 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
No results from the biopsy yet.
Dunno about how I'm handling it!
Transfused on Tuesday, sent home with a pump administering another chemo, it was removed Thursday.
Side effects were light at the beginning, but ramped up to a peak Friday/Saturday.
Got out a little yesterday, shoulda stayed home like I am today.
Tumor had moved my bladder around and was/is quite painful, sensing a change down there, hoping it is for the better.

Next treatment on the 6th, with a send-home pump.
Not really looking forward to it

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
knuckle head
knuckle head
I've been getting chemo infusions on and off for about 1-1/2 years....Its never fun....I also take oral chemo pills and because I cannot swallow the large pills, they get dissolved in water and I drink it, twice a day...horrible taste...
It gets worse when they shove the wood slivers under your finger nails.... grin

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons.."I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Hey GG, how is your son doing?

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Ob1quixote
Hey GG, how is your son doing?

This is his last week for chemo......so far so good as long as he can keep busy.

Fingers crossed you get only GOOD news from now on.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
How many treatments did he end up doing?

Life Member
Life Member
How many treatments did he end up doing?

Sorry for the late reply. New grand baby (our FIRST!) youngest sons new job and a litter (7) of puppies to foster ( oh and I still have a full time job) things have been hectic around here.

To be honest I’ve probably said to much already about my sons situation, he’s pretty private about it. Basically he’s had the operation and the doctor says they got it all. ( they probably tell everybody that) This week is the last week of a 5 week treatment. He gets a couple of weeks off then on to 5-6 weeks of another treatment. I’m not 100% sure what the totals are.

He’s in good spirits as long as he keeps busy. He teaches law at a college level and has been doing that from home. He’s also just purchased two homes, one to live in and one to rent and he’s remodeling both of them so he has plenty to keep him busy.

Cancer has taken a LOT of my family members. ( I HATE cancer) So far I’ve been spared. I got the heart disease genes instead.

Fingers crossed you only get GOOD news from now on.

Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/02/21 12:31 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
2 members like this: Hillbilly bike, BeezaBryan
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
On a more optimistic note, I had 6 chemo treatments in 2005 for stage 4 lymphoma, 4 more chemo treatments which involved 4 days at a time in a hospital along with 6 days recuperation in 2007, followed by bone marrow (stem cell) transplant in June of 2008. I've been healthy ever since.

But I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer with a Gleason score 7 (intermediate grade).

There is always hope that our doctors, health care professionals, and scientists will come up with another miracle to save us when we think all our options are used up.

Never give up!

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 04/02/21 12:19 pm.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
3 members like this: Hillbilly bike, BeezaBryan, Gordon Gray
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by koncretekid
snip.....

There is always hope that our doctors, health care professionals, and scientists will come up with another miracle to save us when we think all our options are used up.

Never give up!

Tom

Here!!! Here!!!

Gordon

Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Go fund me link for Robert (aka OB1)

For those of you that would like to help.......

Gordon Gray in NC, USA

Bringing this link for donations back to the top.

Bless you all that have taken the time to help.

Gordon

Life Member
Life Member
Go fund me link for Robert (aka OB1)

For those of you that would like to help.......

Gordon Gray in NC, USA

Bringing this link for donations back to the top.

Bless you all that have taken the time to help.

Gordon

UPDATE FROM MELISSA MOTT ( aka Anna's mom)

Today Robert had his second chemo infusion and got news about the lymph node biopsy he had a bit back. Seems the cancer has spread at this point to his lymph nodes near his collar bone and he is now a stage 4.
With that, though, is good news in that he weathered the first chemo round. Not easily, but he made it, and it was TOUGH! It even included a 40 hour hiccup session. Can you imagine???
Chemo is no joke. Those of us who have had it or taken care of someone who has, KNOW how brutal it can be.
Please leave Robert some encouragement or send him some if you’re personal friends! Cancer is not a solo journey. He needs us!
Please donate if you can as well as he needs our financial support too. Cancer is expensive!!!!!
And please pray. Anna asks that specifically.
Enjoy this little tidbit from Robert and a pic of him today getting his infusion!

"At the begiining of this adventure, I was advised to get a certain prescription numbing cream to apply to the port for infusion days. It was called in, and I went over to pick it up just before the first chemo.
When I went in, he knew just who I was. He had been helpful in the past, and pulls me over. He gave me the benefits of his experience with chemo! I was floored that he knew me among the many, many customers he sees each day!
David Sohn Of CVS Pharmacy #16730, thank you for your advice and going far beyond good customer service!"
https://gofund.me/3b6c6fc3

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/07/21 9:00 pm.

O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Just finished 3rd treatment, except for the pump that come off tomorrow.
They adjusted the mix, reducing one component and adding another.
Worst session yet, [***] hits like an 8lb sledge.
New chem can cause rash, acne outbreak and sun sensitivity, and finger/toe nail pain!
Where do they come up with these?

Thankfully, I have learned some about how to apply the meds they give for effects, staying ahead of the really bad effects.

Plan is for a scan after the 6th treatment, see how things are coming along, maybe have a plan for the future.

Walk out on the porch this morning and screamed at the sky.
"DAMMIT, I SHOULD BE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE SOMEWHERE, RIGHT NOW!!!"

2 members like this: MikeG, Gordon Gray
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I'm thinking about you when I'm riding mine, so I'm riding one for you! Always have a plan for the future!

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Would love to be you guys for the TSMR!
Same weekend {as always} as my club's Dual Sport event, and I wont be making either, dammit.

With this thing going on, distance to and availability of a toilet govern all my travel plans, with a 1 hour maximum interval.
Just a trip to hang around at camp, not happening.

Last edited by Ob1quixote; 04/21/21 7:56 pm.

Life Member
Life Member
I'm not trying to make light of it but.......my best friend since the 6th grade had brain cancer. First time around they removed it ( it was the size of a flattened out softball between his brain and skull). A couple of years later....it came back. I was with him in the hospital when he took his last breath. We stayed that close for all those years......priceless to have a friend like that.

When he was going through a BUNCH of treatments........we'd be on the phone and he'd say "Brother, I got to go.......I'm having labor pains" he would literally drop the phone and off to the bathroom he'd go. We would laugh about it next time we talked.

I can't imagine dealing with it all. Kinda wish there was something I could do........like a magic wand to wave and ALL cancer would go away and NEVER come back.

Hang in there Robert.......let us know if there's anything we can do.

Your friend in NC........just up the road......Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/21/21 9:14 pm.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Same weekend {as always} as my club's Dual Sport event, and I wont be making either, dammit.

With this thing going on, distance to and availability of a toilet govern all my travel plans, with a 1 hour maximum interval.

Well, it COULD be made to work! If you can get to the Blowing Rock Inn in one-hour stages from your place, you can be surrounded by Britbikes and Britbikers for two or three days, bathroom never more than 10 steps away, some of us will hang out with you all weekend including Saturday, you can look at bikes, smell bike exhaust, listen to bikes, tell bike stories, hear bike stories, talk BS, listen to BS .... There's everything to be said for it! Excellent therapy, I'd say ....

BUT (and this is a big BUT with spikes and buzzers on) only you can decide if the physical things will allow it ....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Originally Posted by Lannis

Well, it COULD be made to work! If you can get to the Blowing Rock Inn in one-hour stages from your place, you can be surrounded by Britbikes and Britbikers for two or three days, bathroom never more than 10 steps away, some of us will hang out with you all weekend including Saturday, you can look at bikes, smell bike exhaust, listen to bikes, tell bike stories, hear bike stories, talk BS, listen to BS .... There's everything to be said for it! Excellent therapy, I'd say ....

BUT (and this is a big BUT with spikes and buzzers on) only you can decide if the physical things will allow it ....

Lannis

Oh, it sounds like a grand weekend! But, the elephant in the room is 2 groups wanting my presence. You guys, and my club. Last time I saw any of my club was at our event in January, 1.5 hour trip, hung around in camp all weekend, and it was rather obvious I was having significant issues.

If, and I mean IF, I were to come, I would have to make appearances at both Blowing Rock and Chester SC. Prefer Saturday for my club, and Friday {maybe Thursday too?} for TSMR.

Charleston to Blowing Rock = about 5 hours, guessing at least 6 stops for bathroom breaks, a PITA.
Blowing Rock to Chester SC = about 2.5 hours
Chester to Charleston = about 3 hours.

A lot of road time, a lot of bathroom hunting...and, uh, um, mistakes arent deadly, but a huge PITA.
Hint: when blood and blood plasma are introduced to the colon, the gut flora will digest and create gas, which pressurizes over to pool that gathers at the"back door". TMI? Sorry, but part of my new new reality!

And to be quite honest, I am driving minimally, but cant imagine such a trip with the chemo effects in play. And the meds...

Financially, I need to stay home. Doesnt sit right with me to be asking for money and spending it like that. Those funds are semi dedicated to rent on my workshop, which is producing no income. 210 feet from my shop to the bathroom.

As much as I'd love to see my club guys and see you guys, I just dont see it happening.

O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
The dual sport event includes a lunch for the riders. This ride has become famous for the Church Lady Desserts. The ride supports a very old country church, and sadly, age is catching up with the congregation, so there are fewer and fewer Church Ladies each year.

One of the favorites is banana pudding. I used to go in there and play Taste Test Czar, and try to scam some early sweets! Best part was pitting one Church Lady's nana puddin against another. They'd be forcing me to eat...and judge...dangerous territory my friends!

Anyways, my wife has stepped in to help, being a church lady down here. We make 2 pots, one for the riders Sunday, one for the club for Saturday night dinner. Wife has agreed to reprise her role, and I already have arrange for transport, with a trusted clubmember.

Trusted to NOT do any early sampling!

O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
But I would love for you guys to meet my Emotional Support Dachshund!
Rare standard dachshund.

Dammit, no pets.

[Linked Image from carolinadualsporters.files.wordpress.com]

Last edited by Ob1quixote; 04/22/21 1:15 am.

3 members like this: SpeedyV, koncretekid, Gordon Gray
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Got some good news!
At each treatment, they run blood tests.
A certain cancer marker would show 0 to 5 in a healthy person.
At the beginning of treatments, I scored a 35.

At last Tuesday's treatment, that score was a 9!

Enough change to trigger a CT scan next Friday, maybe some fine tuning of the regimen?!?

I heard they now suggest colonoscopies at 45 now.
Get your asses checked.

5 members like this: PINEMONKEY, ricochetrider, David in Atlanta, GrandPaul, Gordon Gray
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
And then some not so good news.
When I last posted, I was having some pain issues.
Ended up going in on that Monday, they decided to bump up the scan since I was in there.

Scan showed what they thought was an infection in the colon.
And 10 spots on my liver.

Those spots werent there when I started chemo, 10 odd weeks back.

Blood sent off to test the cancer's DNA.

New plan this Friday, assuming the tests get back.

Life Member
Life Member
Hang in there........sounds so lame but it’s all I got bud.

Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help.

I don’t pray.......but know there are folks praying for you every day.

Fingers crossed in NC.......why does bad stuff happen to good people?

Gordon

O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Appointments today and tomorrow, hoping for a new and effective plan of attack!

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Your positive spirit really is an encouragement and inspiration to any of us who might be facing a similar situation in future. None of us really knows what it will feel like when the doctor gives us that kind of news and we look in the mirror and think about what it means.

But YOU know, and it will mean a lot to someone who has that to face .... Thanks, and we'll hope and pray for the best for you. While you're working on a solution, you know how we like to talk, so don't hold back!

Lannis

O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Pretty sure everyone deals with questions to their mortality differently. I try to be positive, but there are times when things go to a darker space.
Not much fun being there.

In the end, it will be what it is.

I appreciate having folks to talk to, and...

They say now to get tested starting at age 45,
SO GET YOUR ASSES TESTED!

2 members like this: BeezaBryan, Gordon Gray
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Going in the hospital Tuesday morning to install a temporary colostomy.
Tumor is significantly blocking the colon, causing a lot of pain.

Already stopped up a bit from an infection in there that started this pain session.

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com