Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ludwig
ludwig
belgium
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Hi guys.....I own a present day model of Triumph Bonneville 2020....has nice in keeping peashooter silencers....when you give the bike some beans there is a very pleasing old school bark from the tail pipe.

But at cruise throttle settings the bike is rather quite....would love to have it sounding more old school in all rpm ranges.

I recently did the very popular mod of replacing the CAT with a bypass device commonly called an X-Pipe....the bike sounds gorgeous with it and not to obtrusive....but again in the cruise its a bit on the quite side.

Was wondering about the silencers on say an early 60s bonnie other other bikes.....from new did they have baffles in them....somebody told me recently they all basically hollow.

Just trying get my head around the mechanics of them.

My 1970 BSA has a very simple baffle.....but thinking more of 60s bikes....Bonnies in particular.

Recently bought my 1st ever motorcycle...a humble 1969 BSA Bantam B175...I am enjoying using my Bantam so much...does all I need.
My car that I use daily is an old series Landrover that I bought new 40 years ago and has just become tax free.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Typical Triumph silencer appears straight through when you look down it. The tube running down the centre is,in fact, perforated and is wrapped glass wool. I think it is called absorption. There is no baffle as such. The copies can vary in volume but the sharpest is the Emgo version unless they have improved it. This is very loud when overtaking (I have these) and if the car has an open window I feel a bit embarrassed. I would call the general sound output of my 650 Triumph obnoxious!. The originals had a nice rounded tone. Later bonnevilles had a pipe connecting both down pipes and this makes them more quiet.

There are a lot of films of old bikes on youtube. See if you can find one that is one of those passing by shots

The police keep saying that they are going to crack down on noisy modern bikes but they never seem to get round to it.

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 06/08/21 3:52 pm.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
John Bloor (owner of Triumph) sells some period style silencers to fit straight on to the new Bonnies, you might even find some like new second hand ones on eBay.

If it was my money I’d go down that route, have a guaranteed fit as opposed to trying to fabricate something just to make it connect against your vintage aftermarket type.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Is the 2020 bike a 270 degree engine (firing intervals) ? That will sound different to a 360 degree engine from the 1960s. Induction noise on a modern bike will typically be less than something from the 1960s.

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Its a 270 deg motor.

Not looking for it to be noisy....just to have some noise.

Some of the modern bikes on the road are just silly now....in fact anti social....I would not want that.

In fact I set up my video camera last night on a quite road and did some runs past it a varying speeds.....I think with the cat now gone its going to be ok.....much more pleasing to the ear....and not overly loud.

A youtube vid I found a while ago see link is what I am after sounds music to my ears on a cracking road.......not far off it now....suppose I should be grateful.

Recently bought my 1st ever motorcycle...a humble 1969 BSA Bantam B175...I am enjoying using my Bantam so much...does all I need.
My car that I use daily is an old series Landrover that I bought new 40 years ago and has just become tax free.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by Nickjaxe
Some of the modern bikes on the road are just silly now....in fact anti social....I would not want that.

And some of the vintage bikes. whistle

I recently sleeved my period Dunstall silencer, I think what ever baffles were in had blown themselves out. The perforated tube was bigger than the 1.5” down pipe so I bought a solid straight section and sleeved it down (so now it’s basically a straight pipe like a TT pipe. Sadly it now sounds louder, or sharper… goes a bit better though.

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
I bet it sounds great Allan....mine without the horrid cat certainly does.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I passed through a village the other week and one young lass at a bus stop put her fingers in her ears. I didn’t think it was quite that loud and to be honest it’s not something I’m particularly proud of, it’s be a nice thought for people to enjoy the old bikes as they pass, not think they are a nuisance … however I didn’t see anyone else do they same so she may have just had super sensitive hearing. (That was a 30mph, so not exactly revving the bike)

I need someone else to ride it for me so I can be my own judge on that matter. Or do like your video and have someone record it for me. That’s certainly one of the better vids I have seen. Some
Good footage!

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Looks a great road doesn't it Allan.

Some recorded engine sounds are not very true to life.....best as you said....get somebody to ride it past you.

Or ride past somebody thats not a biker to give you an honest opinion.

My daughter said she will do some filming for me later this week.....I will ask her to use her phone and also my cam corded....and ask her how true to life they are.

I know I am always very sensitive near horses when out on my bike....coast if possible.

1 member likes this: Allan G

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com