Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ian C
Ian C
South Yorkshire, UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dan-oh #848286 05/07/21 12:57 am
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
No 4.0x19 from Dunlop on the K70 anymore, besides, wanted something a bit more trials like. I have a set of the duro hf307s on the way. That said, provided they come off okay I will have a set of pre date code made in england k70s that look almost new up for grabs 3.5x19 front and 4.0x19 rear. As you would expect they are a bit hard. If ya pm me your email Tom I'll get ya some pics.

62 Vax Interceptor
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Dan-oh #848504 05/09/21 12:31 pm
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Whoever wants his original Dunlops can also have mine if you do a local pickup.

1964 RE Interceptor 750, 2007 RE Bullet 500
Dan-oh #849611 05/22/21 12:19 am
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Can anybody say if the Vax originally had a breather on the primary or not. A PO had put a nut and bolt in a hole on the inner primary case so I just assumed they deleted the breather tube at some point and ordered one. Well it arrived and I pulled the nut and bolt only to find the hole isn't where the hole is on any ebay cases but back further and the hole is 1/2-20 thread which isn't even a common thread for an add on breather. I am trying to decide if I should just block the hole (better than before as there was a 12mm bolt with lots of silicone holding it there) or if I should put a 1/2" banjo bolt and banjo there and run a soft hose in place of the purdy stock one that is now a paperweight.

62 Vax Interceptor
benebob #849679 05/22/21 10:38 pm
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Here is a photo of my VAX as found, for your reference re the primary. Mine was all there, and not modified from the factory configuration, other than by the sands of time during 50 years in a paint shed. Back to full splendor now, but this photo should be a good reference.

[Linked Image]

I have also sent you a PM with a link to high res photos of the entire bike as found.

Cheers
Jefe

'54 Matchless G80S
'57 Triumph Tiger Cub T20
'60 and '61 Royal Enfield VAX Interceptors
'60 BSA Goldstar
'68 Norton P11A Ranger
'72 Greeves Griffon Enduro 380
'73 BSA B50MX
'74 Norton Commando Interstate
'74 Triumph Trident T150V
'07 Triumph Bonneville
benebob #849684 05/22/21 11:34 pm
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
I went with Dunlop K70 350-19 on the front, and Continental TKC80 18 on the rear, and have been happy both on the street and on gravel roads. My VAX is set up per the original scrambles trim advertised in 1960 for the US market, for which the specs said:

"400x18 Knobbly rear tire
350x19 Trials front tire"

The 18" TKC80 is not available in the US, and can't be shipped to the US, but is available in the UK and elsewhere. I was passing through London on a business trip and bought mine from David at Vintage Tyres.

[Linked Image]

Jefe

'54 Matchless G80S
'57 Triumph Tiger Cub T20
'60 and '61 Royal Enfield VAX Interceptors
'60 BSA Goldstar
'68 Norton P11A Ranger
'72 Greeves Griffon Enduro 380
'73 BSA B50MX
'74 Norton Commando Interstate
'74 Triumph Trident T150V
'07 Triumph Bonneville
Dan-oh #849766 05/23/21 8:21 pm
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Hmmm. Yours is an 18 rear? Mine is a 19. Another oddity on mine😂.

62 Vax Interceptor
Dan-oh #850901 06/06/21 8:32 pm
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Making some good progress! Finally sorted the thorspark (well somewhat sorted enough that it runs and is timed). Guess having a 6v coil instead of a 12v coil and marking the correct pick up for the rotation makes all the difference. frown At least a friend suggested to test the coil they sent otherwise I'd still be banging my head. Anyways am now working on sorting the leaks. Have gotten them mostly down to a slow dribble. Still need to do some timing cover work and come up with a screw that fits the one spot but biggest leak now is out of the gearbox kickstart/gear shift shaft. Looking at Hitchcocks It seems that it is just an oring in there (link below). Does that seem right? Also, to replace it I would just need to take off the outer cover correct so the series of allens would do that after the levers are off right? There isn't a gasket between cases? Do I use anything of the surfaces on reassembly? Anything else I should be replacing in that outer cover now? Thanks a bunch. Have put a few miles on her and engine runs strong, front brake is only a bit better then coasting to a stop, rear seems solid. Hoping to get an order out to Hitchcocks tonight or tomorrow but still trying to figure out rear shocks for this order as my bushing are a bit gone and the shocks aren't too far behind but they are closer to 305mm center eye to center eye not 290mm Not sure if I will have issues going to a 290mm with the 19 inch rear wheel and tire. clearance wise

Oh and one other thing. So is that outer case area of the gearbox supposed to even have fluid in it to begin with or am I leaking somewhere inside causing fluid to fill that area then leak out. Went back out and had a giant puddle under it, still dripping slightly out from behind the shifter. I didn't realize there was even that much oil in there by the size of the puddle and yeah I filled it til it leaked out of the fill plug. smile

Last edited by benebob; 06/06/21 10:22 pm.

62 Vax Interceptor
Dan-oh #850964 06/07/21 11:01 am
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
The outer part of the Albion with all the adjustable bits shouldn't have oil in it, just the moving parts greased. Might the gearbox have been overfilled?

1964 RE Interceptor 750, 2007 RE Bullet 500
Dan-oh #850969 06/07/21 11:49 am
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
The kicker shaft does have an O ring on it and they become brittle (after 60 years) and a great source of leaks, not hard to find at the hardware store.
The main shaft seal on the older bikes is a felt washer and H's now has a neoprene seal, it is also a good time to replace the main bearing with a sealed one and take off one side of the seal that faces the inside of the gearbox. Check to see if the bearing is tight in the casing, and also look for cracks between the bronze layshaft bushing and the main bearing. This is a weak point especially in bikes that are run hard like the VAX.
Tom Oil

benebob #851015 06/07/21 7:31 pm
O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Originally Posted by benebob
Making some good progress!

Oh and one other thing. So is that outer case area of the gearbox supposed to even have fluid in it to begin with or am I leaking somewhere inside causing fluid to fill that area then leak out. Went back out and had a giant puddle under it, still dripping slightly out from behind the shifter. I didn't realize there was even that much oil in there by the size of the puddle and yeah I filled it til it leaked out of the fill plug. smile

AFAIK, the "fill plug" is on the top of the gearbox. If you filled it up to there, no wonder it leaked.
There's a "oil level plug" in the rear of the gearbox that should be removed to see when oil starts to overflow. When that happens, you have enough oil.
As has been stated, double check the seals mentioned and it should be fine.
The inner and outer covers can be sealed with jointing compound, they never had proper gaskets that I am aware of.

Last edited by oilyamerican; 06/07/21 7:31 pm.

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness smile
Dan-oh #851040 06/08/21 12:14 am
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Well I opened it up and got a nice puddle from below the shaft. Seems the kickstarter stop bolt was sitting on the bottom of the case so when I ran it fluid would come thru the hole between the inner and outer then filled the outer case up with oil once it was high enough it came out the gearshift/kickstarter shaft. It is an imperfect world. Screws fall out all the time. This one will get some blue lock tight on it when one goes back in. I'm not so sure it was the proper screw as it doesn't want to tighten. I did have a 5/16" bolt that threads fine though, it is just longer and has a bigger hex head. The good news is most of my other leaks have lessened a bunch. Still having issues with the primary inspection covers. Seems either they aren't the proper covers or a PO really messed up the threads as neither goes on cleanly and tightens up. I'm thinking at this point I may do better converting to either metric or SAE as I seem to have as many of those as BSC bolts.

Oh and Oily, by fill plug I mean the plug you fill til it runs out not to the top plug. I can't afford that much oil smile

Last edited by benebob; 06/08/21 12:17 am.

62 Vax Interceptor
1 member likes this: oilyamerican
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com