Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Kevin E
Kevin E
Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Cyborg 69
reverb 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 18
Newest Members
Sinner66, DucatiPete, mk31755, MAM, Jonez69
11,977 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (Blown Income, Lannis, Tribsauk, GeoffLLLL, raf940, Hugh Jörgen, Magnetoman, L.A.B., TinkererToo), 32 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,253
Posts757,990
Members11,977
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Any else have any particularly important tips on this conversion?

I've picked up some empty cases and will prepare them for the cluster. I have the Nova instructions.

The existing box will occasionally drop out of gear and the kickstart occasionally jam as well as the gap between 2nd and 3rd too big.

Does the kickstart jamming relate to a specific issue (I understand it is not uncommon on pre-unit BSA boxes) is it just wear in the ratchet, bushes or a bit of everything - ie has anyone a reliable cure for kickstart jamming that I can use to eliminate it on a gearbox rebuild (I was going to use my existing outer cover and speedo drive.

I understand that the casing needs fettling and the drive side bush gets replaced directly with a needle roller, although there is no mention of a thrust washer which is usually required in my experience?

I will keep the touring footpegs but go for up for up and down for down (my Triumph days hangover!).

BSA Goldstar on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Neal,
That jamming kickstart issue is usually from the teeth on the main shaft gear being gnawed down in diameter from years of use so that the short lead in tooth on the sector gear just jams against the main shaft gear tip to tip. That's where the jamming often comes from. Sometimes, grinding the short tooth even shorter helps but a new gear is best.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The Nova cluster comes with all thrust washers required.
The jamming kickstart is mainly down to a worn ratchet gear, relatively cheap to replace.
You will need to do a bit of trimming of the slot in the sandwich plate, some main casings need a tickle with the Dremel too

The Nova 5 speed has transformed my Goldie rep

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
1 member likes this: Neil1964
N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Andy that is really helpful, just what I needed to hear.

I think the drive side needle roller drops in the the existing case size but the timing side needs line reaming to accept the needle roller?

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com