Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Mike Muir
Mike Muir
somewhere in the UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#849649 05/22/21 2:52 pm
J
JVPuleo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Last year I inherited 3 bikes – formerly the property of my cousin – that I had to dig out of the wreck of a collapsed boat house. Of the three, I've chosen to rehabilitate the 1967 B44 first, since I had one 40 years ago and remember it fondly. It is in rough condition - really the best parts are the frame and the engine/transmission so over the winter I collected parts. I'm not going to do a "exactly as it came from the factory" restoration but rather rebuilding it in a somewhat more archaic idiom, with painted fenders and inverted hand controls... I've two questions that I've yet to find an answer for...
Where was the ignition switch? - it currently has a cobbled up electrical system and looks as if someone use a simple toggle switch.
What is the travel of the clutch engagement arm? This is critical to the hand controls I've designed and will make. I'm confident of the brake lever but the amount of travel for the has to be part of the calculation in designing them.

The other two bikes were a 1960 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief that my cousin dumped so it's in need of extensive work and a 1970 Norton Commando that is complete, albeit it rusty and neglected since it was last registered in 1983.

Thanks in advance...

JV Puleo

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
iirc, the ignition switch was on the frame area just in front of the left side cover.

A
AML Online Content
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
A
I think the answer might depend on whether it’s a B44EA Victor or B44R Roadster.
The ‘67 Victor was an ET ignition bike that did not have an ignition switch.
I’m not sure about the Roadster.

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Clutch arm travel is a little less than 1/2".

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Just measured my B44R clutch arm and as mentioned above it's certainly less than 1/2" more like 3/8" to 7/16" from handlebar lever being un-engaged to fully engaged (pulled in).

The ignition Switch is on the left hand side between the tank and saddle, there should be a frame mounting tab with a 1/2" hole for the switch.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
you can tell by the frame numbers if I remember right, but the easy way to identify a frame is the roadster had a center stand (and a side stand). the Victor only had the side stand.

J
JVPuleo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Thanks very much. This has been a great help.

The wreck I have is (or was) a 67 Victor so that would explain the lack of a switch. I had a Shooting Star in the 70s. If I remember correctly, it was a 68 and it certainly had a switch though I confess I can't remember now where it was.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Given that " it currently has a cobbled up electrical system" and you do not intend to put it back to factory spec, I personally would ( and did on my bikes) scrap the existing 50 year plus old crud and re wire with modern stuff. lets face it, it is hardy rocket science, there are only about 10 wires on the darn things. I used Vape ignition and Podtronix reg with no regrets.

J
JVPuleo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
I agree. I re-wired the Shooting Star I had 40 years ago and found it to be a relatively easy job. I don't think I'd modify a bike that had survived intact and in relatively good condition but this will never be anything more than an a "bitsa" regardless of how it's finished.

Life Member
Life Member
JVPuleo..........or you could pour $20,000 into it and end up with a $8000 piece of garage art? wink

Re-wiring a unit single is an easy task compared to some others. Correct replacement wire looms are available too....I think. Peter Quick a supporter/vendor on this site is an EXCELLENT source for parts. BSA Unit Singles banner on the home page. His site also has a lot of digital parts and service manuals. I use them all the time.

Proud to be one of the BSA unit single guys, Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/26/21 2:31 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
1 member likes this: SpeedyV
J
JVPuleo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
I wrote a reply in the office but the "I'm not a robot" thingy didn't work...

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
yeah, that thing bugs me ...... very discriminatory ....... what happens if you ARE a robot ....... don't they have rights too?

Must admit I agree with Gordon about BSA Unit Singles, both the retailer and the bikes.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I'll add a third vote for Peter. He's helped me out a LOT lately on my '68 Starfire.

1968 BSA B25 Starfire
Parked in 1978
Restored in 2021
J
JVPuleo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
There isn't much chance I'll have much more than $3,000 in this project and much of that will be for bits & pieces that I'd want to replace even if the bike had been complete. Rough as it is, it was free. My background is mechanical work on Pre-WWI cars and Pre-1930 Rolls-Royces. I don't actually like chrome and flashy paint but I wouldn't modify a machine that had survived intact. That fact that this one is a wreck to begin with leaves me free to finish it the way Id like. When I'm gone and executor has to dispose of it I'm indifferent to what it might sell for. He could give it away for all I care.

J
JVPuleo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
I disassembled the front forks today. Actually, I'm amazed they came apart because everything is rusted solid. Needless to say, the stanchions are toast. The fork seal holders are as well...and herein lies the rub. The wreck is an Enduro...B44EA #1700. I will probably only be using the engine and the suspension parts - even the frame is rotted through from lying on its side in a fallen-down boat house. So...having worn myself out looking at parts for sale, what fork seal holder does it use and are these interchangeable? I'm not concerned with making it exactly as new - that effectively impossible but I don't want to order something only to find out it doesn't fit. It seems hard to believe they would have used a special thread or even seal for this model only. The best number I can come up with is 41-5157 from the 1966 parts book. The fork stanchions appear to be 22-1/4" long and I haven't found those either.

Thanks...this forum is proving to be a big help.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The 66 parts book should be your guide... followed by the 67 "changes" lists. Both available for perusal on Peter's site.

41-5157 doesn't show anything superseding for 67 in the list, so if it was me I'd take that risk and order them. Quite sure Peter would verify the fitment if you asked him before ordering...

J
JVPuleo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Thanks.
I haven't found those yet either (just the number) but I'll keep looking.

J
JVPuleo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
I spoke too soon. I have been able to find them - with the correct number. In the UK of course so I wrote to ask if they ship to the US. If necessary I have a friends in the UK that could forward them...

What is Peter's site? I'd like to take a look. I've been away from British motorcycles since before the advent of the internet so all my old connections are dead.

Life Member
Life Member
Peter Quick is a site sponsor and on my screen his link (Banner) is at the bottom of the page BSA UNIT SINGLES. When you open his home page you'll see on the right hand side ARCHIVES FOR DOWNLOAD........pick what you want to look at. I spend most of my time in the parts manuals.......very handy.

BSA UNIT SINGLES

Proud to be one of the BSA unit single guys........Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/06/21 11:35 am.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com