Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
chaterlea25
chaterlea25
Cork Ireland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 61
DavidP 57
kevin 54
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 23
Lannis 20
Newest Members
BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland, Daideo, kenjon
12,210 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hugh Jörgen, Nomad6T, Guy, DAMadd, Tiger100_Mike), 18 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,535
Posts776,179
Members12,210
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Greetings all,
I did not run the T160 at all last year. None.

The engine was stored properly and I have done some maintenance over the late Winter into the Spring;

Removed the carbs and thoroughly cleaned them, completely, oil filter, sump screen, valve cover gaskets etc... among other non-engine related items, quite a bit of work actually.

This was all done with the intent to fire the engine for the first time since and that I would ride it this Summer. Other events have taken place and I have decided to put the T160 back into storage without starting the engine, I have not even introduced fuel to the newly cleaned carbs.
The carbs are back on the manifolds and have K&Ns fitted.

So, the question is whether I should spray some light oil into the carbs to protect them or just leave them as is, clean and dry do nothing, maybe cover them with a plastic bag....?
I certainly do not want to have them get gummed up sitting with a heavy oil but I would like to keep them clean.

Thanks,
Rob

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"They told me I was gonna have to work for a livin' but all I wanna do is Ride" - Jackson Browne

Current:
'75 T-160 Trident, '78 T-140 V Bonneville, '13 Electra Glide, a garage Full of Guzzis, '88 Honda Hawk GT, '84 RZ350 KR, '78 Yamaha XS650, 1969 Dalesman Trials etc. and a '73 MGB for good measure... smile
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In a bag with maybe a silica bag for moisture prevention.

1 member likes this: Chip H
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Ahh, good idea K...

I'll go looking for some silica packs.

Thanks,
rad

Last edited by Robert Dentico; 05/21/21 5:23 pm.

"They told me I was gonna have to work for a livin' but all I wanna do is Ride" - Jackson Browne

Current:
'75 T-160 Trident, '78 T-140 V Bonneville, '13 Electra Glide, a garage Full of Guzzis, '88 Honda Hawk GT, '84 RZ350 KR, '78 Yamaha XS650, 1969 Dalesman Trials etc. and a '73 MGB for good measure... smile
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Rob,
Originally Posted by Robert Dentico
did not run the T160 at all last year.
decided to put the T160 back into storage without starting the engine,
Would you like me to exercise it for you? That'd save you worrying about plastic bags, silica packs and similar? I'd only take it out on dry days, exercise it gently? If this sounds like a goer, pop the bike in a crate and send it over. smile Soon as you can use it, I'll send it back. thumbsup

Just as a matter of interest, what are the carbs.?

Regards,

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Cosmoline and of any sort silicon foggin is out.
I like Schrodinger's Cat questions.

If separated, clean and dry seem to be a sucessful path.

Most of us (meaning me) store all our parts attached to the scooter,
so that they can't escape and hide under a bench somewhere.

Nothing but use and attention seems to keep slider rust spots, coagulated oil products and fuzz on pot metal
from gaining an upper hand in storage.

Mecham's auction was on yesterday at a friend's house.
The statement was made that he wishes that he had put his Hemi 'Cuda in a cave somewhere,
and brought it out for the prices that are avaible today.
Worst thing for it.

My old British Iron stash speaks for itself on that point.

I seem to remember vacuum packaging large items from somewhere..

https://www.carbag.com/

Last edited by Chip H; 05/23/21 10:25 pm. Reason: Thinking again. Dont recomend it.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hey Stuart,
I knew I could count on you, appreciate that.  Funny that I too offer the very same service to friends that have infrequently used motorcycles and now I am one. 

Like many I have waaay too many things going at the same time and Summer home projects take precedence, not a great deal of time for either riding and working on my motorcycles or projects. 

The Trident is in very good condition, I bought this one five years ago from a fellow that owned it for thirty odd years and I have spent some time and funds straightening out some of those improvements that he had performed.  She is not pristine but very good and well sorted, I like it a great deal. 

Along with the '78 T140 that has turned into a full on resto I have the '71 Daytona in the wings, a couple of Guzzis, one that I recommissioned last year and that too gets No exercise, another that needs a going through. 

So I had forgotten about desiccant bags that we in the ship maintenance biz had used for gas turbine engine lay-up in the enclosures... I will get the desiccant and store the T160 this week.  I regularly store cycles for Winter with the exhaust ends wrapped in a plastic bag and light oil on a cloth stuffed into the end, I will use desiccant now.

The carbs are Keihin PWK 26 units. They were on the Trident when I bought it and they work so well I have only cleaned them, made no changes internally.  I do have two sets of original Amals and have no plans to put them back on. 

Apologies for the ramble...

Best,
Rob 

========
Chip H,
The carbs are back on the engine.  I just decided that I am not going to add fuel and touch her off, just store it. 

Thanks for the carbags link, I have long thought of doing just that so I think I will order a couple. 

Cheers,
Rob

Current:

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com