Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Zimm
Zimm
The land of pleasant living
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#848409 05/08/21 2:29 pm
K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
My bad dudes, should've posted this last weekend, but things got in the way as they tend to do lately. And before we start this here is a yarn about 'Modern' stuff with a sprinkling of Olde stuff, I make no apology for this, it's the first proper camp I've done since the plague, and I'm sure all y'all will be hankering to see something different, if y'all have had the same sort of shyte we've all had, being locked away and not able to do bugger all....

Right here we go then....

Dragged out the Enfield (Gotta find a name for that one of these Daze) hit the kickstart button and off we went, the meet up place was a service station off the massive car park known as the M25, the traffic filled circular road around the capital, although THIS time the traffic wasn't too bad, and I'd made good progress. Meeting up with some of the lads....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Just the Hairy Mong, Taffy, Accent and Rusty to wait for then....And wait...and wait some more...? Seems one of them had trouble, then Rusty and Taffy showed up, seems they were waiting the other side of the services. And the Accent had trouble with his Harley which he'd sorted and phoned that he was on his way, as we were more than the advisory 6 we left Kracken behind to wait for the lads to catch up....

We were off, heading out towards the Malvern Hills just the other side of the Cotswolds, and our leader Mother Duck, was doing a wonderful job on her Guzzi California, just a few motorway miles to get us out of the smoke, then nothing but wiggly lanes. Even found a lovely farm shop to have a nice cream tea, although we did have to sit outside to eat it due to the....Well YOU know...

About 20 miles from our destination, Paul's Guzzi Bellagio stopped, just like that..! I turned back to find out what happened...? It's seized says our hero, WHAT..! BLIMEY it's a new bike too, well 2010 but that's *New* in our World. Now young Paul has been a Guzzi mechanic most of his life, and went straight to the problem, seems the gap in the alternator had closed up, and the magnets had grabbed hold of the Alley enough to stop the engine...

Once the thing was off the bike, I suggested that he un-plugged the headlight as its always ON when the engine is running, and he fired the bike up to run as far as possible on battery power. He made it 8 miles from the destination, so I took half of his camping gear, and Rocket John took the rest, we carried on to the Pub, where Mat Geoff & Sara's son in law had a trailer and van and rescued the lad.... thumbsup

While all that fun was going on, I tried putting up my brand new tent, it's a Teepee type jobbie, and being proper Gormless I put it up inside out. Causing much merriment amongst my so called friends...But then I'd expect nothing less from that lot, soon sorted and it was beer and food time, once again sat outside, by now it was getting cold. So a small BBQ came out and we filled it with logs and sat around that spinning yarns...

As the night rolled on we found out Geoff & Sara's daughter Sam, had a birthday the next day. And the Accent had his this very day, so a quick session of thinking was called for....

Next morning after the coldest night I've EVER had, even camping in January on a beach in North Holland while it was snowing, was warmer than that night. I was convinced me feet had frost bite, and I consider meself an experienced camper too..! Once I was up and out, it was time to put last night's thinking into gear, and we filled Sam's tent with balloons and decorated the outside....

So now for a mooch around the site to see what bikes we've got....

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
Then the Birthday girl wanted to sit on my bike, she has a Bullet and says it's not powerful enough, strangely she didn't want to take the bike out for a spin when I offered it too her...

This is the pub we were at, a wonderful place and fantastic food....

It's just across from this sign...

With enough room for about 15 tents....

So after all the fun of the morning, a Guzzi lad showed up to take us all for a ride out and about, now remember here dudes this weekend we were SUPPOSED to be in Belgium for the John Bull Rally. But the Plague put paid to that, so imagine my glee when we went into a different country where they talk funny.....Wales. And then we ended up at Tintern Abbey, a lovely place once it's finished....

A great ride out with lovely people, and so fantastic doing what we do best, hope this keeps getting better and better as time rolls on, Paul had the recovery service from his insurance take the bike home, and he and Mother Duck went on her California. The last breakfast that the pub did us went down very well too...

The Enfield is running fantastically, doing our speeds I can get 82mpg out of it, on the way home as I was up for work the next day I took the motorway, filled the tank then did 80mph for 100 miles, it still returned 70mpg, which I think is brilliant, and just what I want from a touring bike. Oh and while we're talking touring bikes, Kracken has one of the massive BMW GS that seem to be a duel fuel bike, he put a gallon of diesel in it. Smoked for a good few miles after that, so that'll take a while before we let him forget that, won't it children.... facepalm

2 members like this: GrandPaul, BeezaBryan
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
great and much appreciated yarn/pics i was a tintern abbey circa 1983 one of my fav poems by wordsworth felt your cold camping pain

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero

1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Great recap & pictures!! Wow what a mess on the Guzzi. I would think the is some major crumbs in the engine also.
Good to hear the RE is turning out a nice motorbike for you.

O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Mmmm, Rocket!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
A good variety of bikes there and a lot of them that I really liked and would have in a minute .... !!

When I got to the first picture of the lads sitting around the fire, I said to myself "Self, look at the way they're all muffled up in jackets and such sitting around the fire. The first time that I sat around a fire with some of that same lot 16 years ago next month, THEY were all in shorts and T-shirts and I was dressed in everything I had and still cold (luckily Fay and I were sharing a sleeping bag so we warmed up quick after we went in) .... so how cold must it be there NOW?"

So I'm not surprised you nearly froze in the canvas hotel that night!

Looks like a good time as always. Shame about the Bellagio goofing like that, that's not normal!

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Nice weekend, looks like, bru. Lots of serious "hardware" parked up in the "commons" with y'all.

Don't feel too bad about the cold, after all it, too shall pass. Besides, it's not exactly picnic weather here- I had ice on my windshield wiper blades this afternoon! Drove down to Joisey to deliver my R100 to its new owner, that's its whole own story right there, man.

BTW, I thought The Prospect was out with you, but he didn't appear in any of your pix... whassup widdat.

Ah OK a name for the "new" bike, eh... ?

Sleek Sikh
Sixth Dimension
Road Dog Royale
Vindaloo Velocipede
laughing

I COULD go on.... but I won't. beerchug

Ciao 4 now.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Life member
Life member
[quote=ricochetrider

Ah OK a name for the "new" bike, eh... ?

Sleek Sikh
Sixth Dimension
Road Dog Royale
Vindaloo Velocipede
laughing

I COULD go on.... but I won't. beerchug

Ciao 4 now.[/quote]

Sorry Tom but, Vindaloo Velocipede is the name given many years ago to our Bullet.by the late Richard Pawson erstwhile BSAOC President.

I perhaps might add to your suggestions - Chippatti Dan or Singh Singh

Saluti a tutti

BeezaBryan

1 member likes this: ricochetrider
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by bodine031
Great recap & pictures!! Wow what a mess on the Guzzi. I would think the is some major crumbs in the engine also.
Good to hear the RE is turning out a nice motorbike for you.

Luckily, on the Guzzi, the alternator runs outside the main engine cases, so the bits from the seizure don't contaminate the oil ....

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
Life member
Life member
Thanks Shaun for the words and pics beerchug

BeezaBryan

Kent Shaun #848465 05/08/21 10:48 pm
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Thanks Shaun for your story, made me feel little bit like last Summer came back. But my question is what's your take on an Enfield?
Other than is so easy on gas..

K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
Spot on Lannis lad, the bits of metal would never get into the engine, as that alternator is outside under a plastic cover. So the lad just needs to bolt on a new one, and away he goes. Most likely cost him a couple of weeks wages of course.... ohno

I remember that Summer well lad, but this is early Spring, and it was proper cold. So cold in fact the flame on my lighter froze, I've even been thinking of spending good money on another sleeping bag, THAT'S how cold it was.... shocked

Tom Bro dude, the Prospect was INDEED supposed to come along, it was going to be a sort of 'Test' for our trip North in a few weeks time. But his work sadly got on top of him, and he had to chill out another way. Our Wild camping adventure will come as a total surprise to him now, and I wager he'll love it.... wink

As for your name suggestions, sorry lad but none of them jump out at me, and there's NO WAY PEDRO would I use Vindaloo Velocipede, for that will forever be Bryan's Bullet's name. Something will come along I feel.... beerchug

Adam M lad, my *Take* on the Enfield...? Well it's a FANTASTIC motorcycle for the money, dead simple and nothing fancy to worry about, smooth as silk, lovely and quite too. None of them bloody computer things to bugger you up, just a plain old motorcycle. I find it nice and light to handle, but then I am MAN sized. Gearbox is good, light clutch, brakes OK. Only down side is the bloody seat, couldn't last no longer than about 50 Miles, I kept it for 1000 miles to see if it would 'Break in' but NO, so I've had all the stuffing taken away, and got it re-stuffed, now we're good for about 150 miles. Before Numb Bum sets in, but after a walk about, another 150 miles is easily achieved.... thumbsup

Kent Shaun #848503 05/09/21 12:12 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
"Numbum" sounds like a good name!

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
1 member likes this: ricochetrider

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com