Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#848133 05/05/21 12:24 pm
T
tim Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
After removing the clutch on my 52 Trophy I am left with the hub on the main shaft I have the correct extractor tool that screws into the center and as when tight as I can a 'smart tap' does not remove it I have tried heat and repeated the action to no avail. all suggestions welcome I need to remove the gearbox to repair the top lug that has lost a corner

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
You may have to be a bit brutal, you'll need a clutch centre holding tool (bar welded to an old clutch plate) to get the extractor as tight as you can, as much heat as you can get in there (difficult, I know), and a big steel hammer (lump hammer?) to hit the end of the extractor - it will let go!

T
tim Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
No the clutch center is off its the hub that remains on the main shaft the threaded removal tool wont shift it
I was thinking of a bearing removal split collar but I dont think there is enough room behind the roller race back plate and inner cover none of the tools on the web give the lip thickness and some done even mention the size range

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
how long was the hub is place ? ... decades ?

dont hit the extractor , hit the hub 90° sideways
( from multiple directions with a big shoft punch )... while the extractor provides reasonable tension .
tap from like 4 directions and check to see if the extractor bolt tension has softened .
If it has , add an 1/8 or 1/4 turm and tap the hub somemore .
( you may have to leave at tensioned overnight )or for a few days .

if you go caveman on the extractor there's a good chance it will break... before the taper breaks free .

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Make sure the bolt is very tight (30-40 ft lbs) before you whack it straight on the end, then retighten it before you hit it again. Getting it tight enough may be difficult to do if all you have to hold onto is the hub.

Grease the bolt threads to minimize the chance of pickup, and grease the end of the bolt or the mainshaft to help it turn easier.

If all else fails and you’re frustrated enough you don’t care about risking stripping the bolt in the puller, you can use an impact to tighten it, until it comes off, or strips the threads. At least that’s what I did on one really stuck clutch—I lapped it in a hurry at a race when fixing a broken key and didn’t get the lapping compound all off, and it galled on the taper and wouldn’t come off easily.

Last edited by linker48x; 05/07/21 1:57 am.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Tim- Tinkertoo meant that you could use the clutch holding tool to help tighten the hub puller if you slip the centre back on temporarily. Anyway, the hub tool needs to be fully screwed in or it may strip.

John Healy, like linker 48 and Tinkertoo said, that the correct way to use the hub tool is to fit it, tighten the centre bolt and then to hit the centre bolt straight on.

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 05/07/21 7:29 am.
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
If all else fails, being as you have the centre off, you can sacrifice the hub and grind it close to the shaft, still using the puller. The hubs are not too expensive, and you have the opportunity to use the latest hub and thrust washer, no problems in compatibility with the early clutch and a better arrangement.

T
tim Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
A bearing puller off ebay £25.00 a bottle of gas a hammer and strong right arm
unbelievable how well stuck on it was! There was just enough room to get the lips of the two piece half round lips on the edge, when it cools down I will see if the hub is distorted
thanks for your help

1 member likes this: TinkererToo
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I had a similar experience a few years back. Broke two pullers but managed to rescue one of them and finally got the hub off. The key had sheared and the hub had friction welded itself to the shaft. Sounds like a Friday night in a Skudeneshavn pub story, but it's true.

SR

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com