Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
There have been many changes with this clutch,sometime during it's life it's undergone a change from stock to been re-fitted with the later clutch basket with bonded segments at the back,bike had stood for 10yrs when purchased,so you can image my horror at the last plate out the basket being steel !!!!!!

Anyhow i was still having problems with freeing after it had stood for a couple of days,decided to have a real look, having to re-place back to stock clutch basket,new rollers,thrust washer,cush rubbers,back plate cush hub.However i didn't replace clutch plates as they were within spec frown having now replaced with new stock plates both bonded and steel the difference is amazing.

The real noticeable difference being the bonded segment on the new plates i would say are 40% bigger than the ones iv'e been using eek

So what make Don sorry mate i don't kwow i sourced them from Norvil in the UK i'm pretty sure they will be UK manufactured though.

Managed to get a few miles on the bike and all seems fine nice smooth change and no slipping,the real test is we are on vacation at the moment (don't you just love that word vacation so posh) in other words we are away for a few days laughing so i'll know for sure.

Thanks Dave

Always remember there are 3 kinds of people in this world,those that can count & those that can't.
T140V 1974
GT750 1974
GT550 1974
TL1000 97s
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Dave, Vacation!! That’s great! Funny how we perceive life.
Before covid, we thought nothing of a 3-4 day getaway.
After months of nothing, just the100 mi round trip to Petaluma to drop off head & cylinder to Engine Dynamics & outdoor lunch at deli down the road was an adventure & much appreciated. Wife accompanied me. Was almost like a date. I knew I should marry her back in 1970 after she was willing to carry my new tire across her shoulder while riding pillion on my Honda 305. Proved good decision.
I’d sure like to know the science of what is sticking. My original sat 34 years. Freed fully on the 3rd kick.
Good you can get away. I bet clutch will free perfectly on your return. Have a great time.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...hello; so if you replaced all; what is the difference between the new plates and the old ones? Was the indentation of the basket the problem? The rod was at the right point?

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by reverb
...hello; so if you replaced all; what is the difference between the new plates and the old ones? Was the indentation of the basket the problem? The rod was at the right point?

The problem was the old friction plates were sticking, making it difficult to free off the clutch before starting and not 'clutch drag'.

Now new plates have been fitted the sticking problem appears to have been cured or at least shouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

Last edited by L.A.B.; 05/02/21 5:47 pm.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hi L.A.B; yes, of course; but I asked him about what perceived as different between the old and the new discs or if the problem was the basket´s indentations.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have both an alloy pressure plate, Alloy Tech, and new friction plates from The Bonneville Shop. I used six dead flat steel plates from my stash. My clutch is always free when I prod it through before a ride and works very well.
However, having replaced both at once, I can't say if the alloy plate alone would have improved the clutch.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by reverb
Hi L.A.B; yes, of course; but I asked him about what perceived as different between the old and the new discs or if the problem was the basket´s indentations.

Dave Lid first mentioned the sticking problem in a May 2018 thread in which you also posted.
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/735439/t140v-primary-case-oil#Post735439

The clutch basket and centre were replaced last November so didn't cure the sticking problem.
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubb...utch-sprocket-housing-part-no#Post827386

Last edited by L.A.B.; 05/03/21 9:01 am.
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Hi L.A.B.

This is only my thought's on my problem with the sticking clutch

First of all when i purchased the Bonnie it had been 40 odd yrs since owning a Brit bike that IMO was the main problem eek just not knowing.

Only time will tell but i really didn't know what type of bonded plates i had or what stock plates looked like,until now having re-placed with stock plates.
As stated in an earlier post the real noticeable difference the bonded area on my new plates being approx 40% bigger than on the ones that where sticking,i'm thinking because the sticking plates had less bonded area therefore creating a larger let's say oil catchment area creating a massive oil gallery,and a combination of varying oil levels Any thoughts on that theory.Only my 2c

Clutch is still free after standing i can actually pull the lever and push the kick start down very easy with my hand never been able to do that smile

Thanks Dave

Last edited by Dave Lid; 05/03/21 11:46 am.

Always remember there are 3 kinds of people in this world,those that can count & those that can't.
T140V 1974
GT750 1974
GT550 1974
TL1000 97s
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Dave Lid
Only time will tell but i really didn't know what type of bonded plates i had or what stock plates looked like,until now having re-placed with stock plates.
As stated in an earlier post the real noticeable difference the bonded area on my new plates being approx 40% bigger than on the ones that where sticking,i'm thinking because the sticking plates had less bonded area therefore creating a larger let's say oil catchment area creating a massive oil gallery,and a combination of varying oil levels Any thoughts on that theory.Only my 2c

The older the plates get, the worse they often seem to stick.
Whether that's because the older friction material slowly degrades or more modern friction materials are less prone to sticking I don't know.

My T140's clutch had steadily become more difficult to free off regardless of oil type so I fitted an Aerco 7-plate kit.
The narrower Aerco friction plates unstick easily and I don't think the even narrower Hyde ones stick badly if at all so I doubt the problem is due to narrower friction surfaces.
Aerco
[Linked Image from 14.cdn.ekm.net]
Hyde
[Linked Image from triumph-spares.co.uk]

The bonded segments of the old friction plates I removed from my T140 are approximately 20mm wide which seems about the normal width for standard plates...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

...although the late factory 7-plate clutch (with the friction segments in the drum that you found in your T140) might have had plates with less friction area.

Originally Posted by Dave Lid
Clutch is still free after standing i can actually pull the lever and push the kick start down very easy with my hand never been able to do that smile

Good.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...MAP plates are not narrow and do not stick so may be is the material?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com