Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#847773 05/02/21 1:08 pm
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
I've finally got round to starting to build my T140 engine, with the TSS crank and specially made rods from Steve Campbell (Thunder Engineering). The virus got me, hence the delay. Anyway, the gudgeon pins seem far too tight in the small ends, especially the timing side one. The drive side pin pushed through fairly well and the piston can be rocked by hand without much effort, But the timing side piston requires considerable effort to rock it. When looking at the g.pin while rocking the piston, it is the piston moving around the pin, not the pin in the rod.

I tried applying heat and it all felt fine (not a great deal of heat - not too hot to get hold of the piston). I have never had gudgeon pins this tight before in a Triumph engine - usually, the pistons will wobble back & forth freely under their own weight, with all the movement being between the pin and the rod. So my question is, how tight is too tight? I will give Steve a ring on Tuesday but if anyone can give any advice / info in the meantime, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
knuckle head
knuckle head
Just the fact that one is different than the other says it's wrong. If the pins are the same size then the rod small end sized incorrectly...Sent the rods back.
I'm no expert but have fitted full floating pins in a variety of bikes and auto engines.In all cases the pin slid into the rod easily at room temperature but was a tight clearance.

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons.."I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
Yep, that's what I was expecting these to be like.

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
did you try both pins in the tigher hole
to confirm that its the little end hole and not one of the pins ?

T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
Yes!

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I'm sure Steve Cambel will put this to rights. I have a pair of Thunder rods to go in my special stroker engine, and recently did a T110 iron race engine with Thunder rods, and they were fine

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com