Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#843963 03/24/21 5:05 pm
Richrd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Many of you will recognize this bike as belonging to Mr Mike. the bike starts runs and handles great'. I will do what I can to help with delivery.
I think the best way to describe it is to use what Mike told me. He mentions the seat and front fender as bad points but I have replaced both with new. I have ridden it less than 1000 miles since I've owned it. $4700

General: The bike is an easy starter, runs smooth and strong and had no major shortcomings. I would not hesitate to ride it on a long trip. It does not smoke or burn oil. Leaks are minimal. Everything is there. It is not perfect and is not show quality, but it can easily be restored to that level. It is a mostly original, matching number, solid bike that I rode for pleasure but with two unit singles it pretty much stays in the shed
History: I bought the bike in Colorado. They guy was a kind of wheeler/dealer who had never started the bike. He bought it from another owner that also had not registered the bike. So I think there were four owners, two of which never registered or rode the bike. It was not running when I bought it. I took it home and went thru it changing all fluids, battery, plugs and points and condenser and ran it for about a year or two It ran well with no problems. I think the bike had about 3500 miles on it when I got it. That’s what the odometer read and it was working. I started to get a slight knock and checked the end play. It was out of tolerance so I decided to rebuild the motor (see details below). I have ridden it on an off for the past 5-6 years but with three other bikes it got ridden very little. I prefer my B50 and B44 so I have decided to sell this to give me some more storage space and because I don’t ride it much anymore.
Motor Work: I rebuilt the motor about 5-6 years ago. The rebuild included a valve job, rebore of cylinders, new pistons (.020" over) and rings, align bore of new TS bushing. I replaced the primary side roller bearing with a deep groove ball bearing (JAF) so as not to have to mess with endfloat. The early A65’s had a ball bearing instead of a roller. The crank measured out for .020" under rod bearings and required only polishing. I cleaned the sludge trap. I checked the cam and bushes and went thru the entire transmission finding no significant wear on anything so that all got put back together as it was. I inspected the oil pump (early type) and found no problems so I reinstalled it. I have a list of all the parts and receipts for the stuff I put into the motor. The motor may have 5000- 6000 miles on it since I rebuilt it. The motor makes excellent oil pressure (see below).

Other work: I converted the ignition to Boyer with new 6 volt coils, plug wires and a Podtronic’s regulator. I still have the original points plate, AAU and 12 v coils. New gaitors. The bike had 930 Concentrics that had replaced monoblocks. The Concentrics were worn out so I replaced them with new Concentrics. I have replaced the original oil pressure regulator (OPRV) with a design of my own that relieves excess pressure directly to the tank. The bike idles with approximately 20 psi idle (hot) and 55-60 psi at cruising speed with 30w oil. Gauge is fitted above clocks. .The original bike does not have provision for a gauge or idiot light. I can switch the bike back to original OPRV in about an hour. I have painted both the sidecovers and tank. The frame has not been repainted, only touched up in a few places.
Shortcomings: Small hole in seat cover. (Seat might not be original). Small ding in gas tank near headstock. You have to look to find it. Some light rust on wheels and headlight mounts. The badges are aftermarket and not real good. I have the original badges and with a little careful paint work they can be made to show room quality. The mufflers are repo’s and the right side has battery acid drips on it. The rest of the bike is solid but has normal nicks and blemishes. The front fender has the rolled leading edge cut off.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Richrd; 06/13/21 9:45 pm.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Richrd #844476 03/29/21 3:35 pm
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
cool.

Richrd #844504 03/29/21 6:50 pm
Richrd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hack, I need your address

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
and a Honda?
Richrd #844615 03/30/21 7:09 pm
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
ok!

Richrd #845262 04/06/21 3:21 am
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Plug - I see several positive comments about another ‘66 Lightning and about what a bargain it is (certainly is a very nice bike). Rich has one every bit as nice and with an excellent history yet he is asking $500 less than the other gentleman and his is in the middle of the country.
I can personally vouch for this bike - highly recommended.
Paul.

Paul

'74 Commando - Interstate
"74 Commando - Hi-Rider, possibly
'65 Atlas, mostly anyway
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Paul Sammut
Plug - I see several positive comments about another ‘66 Lightning and about what a bargain it is (certainly is a very nice bike). Rich has one every bit as nice
Paul.

No doubt about it. Out of the two, this one would be my choice if I was in the market.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Paul Sammut
Plug - I see several positive comments about another ‘66 Lightning and about what a bargain it is (certainly is a very nice bike). Rich has one every bit as nice and with an excellent history yet he is asking $500 less than the other gentleman and his is in the middle of the country.
I can personally vouch for this bike - highly recommended.
Paul.

Good point. Mr. Mike rode this bike to my house a few summers back, about a 450 mile round trip, and it's a great-sounding, great-running bike. I had supposed that it was as-good-as-sold, but if not, I agree with you ... heck of a deal for someone looking to get into the BSA business ... !

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
Richrd #845394 04/07/21 2:23 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I agree- really nice bike and great write up!

Richrd #847140 04/25/21 10:46 pm
Richrd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Bump

Rich

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
and a Honda?
Richrd #847519 04/29/21 11:03 pm
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
A bump for a great looking lightning. If you weren't so far away and I didn't already have a 66 Lightning I'd be all over it.
In my experience Lightnings are decent on the highway and great on back country roads. If well sorted they are reliable too, I even ride mine to work every now and again

Last edited by Aboatguy; 04/29/21 11:04 pm.
1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Richrd #847556 04/30/21 12:35 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Richrd
Bump
STILL unsold?

Wow...

Spring is here, it's bound to go soon.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
GrandPaul #847558 04/30/21 12:38 pm
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Originally Posted by Richrd
Bump
STILL unsold?

Wow...

Spring is here, it's bound to go soon.

The market seems soft right now......good for buyers. I’ve been around this bike.....and the man who Richrd got it from. It doesn’t get much better. The buyer won’t be disappointed.......not at all.

Gordon

PS: I do believe Richrd is planning a trip East in May. Rumor is he’ll be in NC, VA possibly PA and all the States it takes to get him there. Delivery could be arranged????

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/30/21 12:45 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
Richrd #847681 05/01/21 4:05 pm
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Richrd....Do you mind sharing the OPRV modification you did to monitor oil pressure?

Richrd #849067 05/16/21 4:48 pm
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
PM sent. I'm very interested.

75' Norton Commando
76' Suzuki GT750
95' Buell S2
00' Buell X1 Millennium
00' Buell X1 Red Stripe
02' Buell M2
15' FLHTK
Richrd #849234 05/18/21 1:51 pm
Life Member
Life Member
bsanorton, had Richrd answered you yet?

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
1 member likes this: Beach
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
bsanorton, had Richrd answered you yet?

Gordon

Rich will need just a bit of time to respond to the latest.... We came back together from the TSMR, and we've been on a pair of bikes since then following the route of Lee's retreat from Petersburg to Appomattox all through the Virginia countryside, with me feeding him detailed history and details with a fire hose all the while. He's on the long road home now with 22 hours to go.....

Lannis

Lannis #849242 05/18/21 4:06 pm
Life Member
Life Member
Lannis, exactly why I posted the question.

Just trying to help.

Being on some of those battlefields you get a feel for how close the two armies actually were. Strange how some folks nowadays claim our country is going to hell......nope sorry.....we’ve been to hell......we are a long way from that now.

Good on you for giving him a guided tour. Priceless.

Gordon 37th NC ANV Company B........but my ancestors were 7th Florida ANV

PS: I was trying to describe to Wade at our reunion camp last year what the area known as the Wilderness was like. Doesn’t really sink in until you march through there in period shoes. Almost at the end but I like Pamplin Park.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/18/21 4:21 pm.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Being on some of those battlefields you get a feel for how close the two armies actually were. .

At Sailor's Creek, they have period cannon (rifled muzzleloaders and bronze smoothbores) set up just where the Confederate and Union batteries were, and they have examples of the shot they used. Solid Minie-type rounds, fused explosive rounds, and canister rounds. It's between 800 and 1000 yards across Sailor's Creek between the two positions, which for an experienced artilleryman, was almost point blank range. (The Federal artillery generally surpassed the Confederate as much as the Confederate cavalry surpassed the Federal). And I don't know what kind of blind courage it would take for infantry to charge a battery inside the 400 yard range of canister/grapeshot ....

......we are a long way from that now.

I hope that's true.

Lannis

Richrd #849244 05/18/21 4:43 pm
Life Member
Life Member
Lannis.......had to be the training. Once in ranks you followed orders. Napoleonic tactics placed the company.....shots were fired and you moved. I can’t imagine the gore. I’ve re-enacted with several thousands on the field. Smoke from the weapons had to help cover you. As a rifleman you were pointed in a direction and told when to fire. My guess is you loaded and fired on command and tried your best to ignore what was happening around you.

At the battle of the First Manassas ( Bull Run for you Yankees) the armies were so close. Where Stonewalls men came out of the woods to overlook the battlefield there’s just a slight dip in elevation they made it to that saved them. What it took to come out of that dip........

You might feel different but there’s no way in hell I’ll ever believe that will happen here again.

Gordon “On the right into line!”

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/19/21 1:55 pm.

Richrd #849246 05/18/21 5:36 pm
knuckle head
knuckle head
Actually, the casualties were rather low compared to to later battles.
The US Calvary was fairly new at the time of the War....I believe horse riding was more a part of life in the South..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons.."I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Actually, the casualties were rather low compared to to later battles.
The US Calvary was fairly new at the time of the War....I believe horse riding was more a part of life in the South..

Figuring just First Manassas versus later battles, yes. Overall, though, figuring both "deaths per day" and "deaths as a percentage of population", the War Between The States was the bloodiest war we've ever fought by a factor of almost 10 .....

Lannis

Richrd #849248 05/18/21 6:22 pm
Life Member
Life Member
Nothing beats Gettysburg.....but burning alive in the Wilderness is right up there near the top.

There’s a marker in the field where the 37th NCT were finally turned back during Pickett’s charge.....what was left of them. In a letter sent back home a survivor told of the smoke from the muskets and cannon had turned red with the vaporized bodies of the confederates that came to close to cannon fire.

Gordon.

Richrd #849249 05/18/21 6:25 pm
Life Member
Life Member
What BSA were we talking about?

Richrd will return, lots of us have seen/heard this bike run and know the man who built it. You will not be disappointed.

Sorry for the thread steal but hey it’s keeping it on top

Hopefully there will be lots of photos from the tour?

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/18/21 6:27 pm.

Richrd #849250 05/18/21 6:27 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
In other news, Rich brought three bikes in his trailer from Nebraska, left two of them with happy new owners here in the East, rode the other one, and took it back home.

I'm sure he'll make any arrangements necessary to make yet one more person happy with a fine running BSA .... !!

Lannis

2 members like this: GrandPaul, Gordon Gray
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Yes, Gordon, he has. He was away and will be in contact.

75' Norton Commando
76' Suzuki GT750
95' Buell S2
00' Buell X1 Millennium
00' Buell X1 Red Stripe
02' Buell M2
15' FLHTK
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Steve Erickson 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com