Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Semper Gumby
Semper Gumby
Atlanta, GA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
My American spec. 67 TR6R has the original type wide and raised bars which make me sit bolt upright. How much better are the UK barsfor my year at getting you to lean forward a bit?

Dave

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I have both and prefer the shorter bars. More comfortable and you are more head first into the wind rather than face first. Seems to be more control also. A small movement of the long bars translates into a lot of movement at the wheel.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
I think I might give them a go. I would have to buy new cables I suppose. I had a look on the web and I think I need the ones ending 1871. I wonder if the oil in frame ones are the same? They have a different number, I think. Idon't know which are best.

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 04/24/21 5:30 pm.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by dave jones
I think I might give them a go. I would have to buy new cables I suppose. I had a look on the web and I think I need the ones ending 1871. I wonder if the oil in frame ones are the same? They have a different number, I think. Idon't know which are best.

Dave
I think the low Home Market bars are the same on the OIF bikes, but not 100% sure. I've used them on a number of different bikes, and recently fitted them to my 72 USA market Trident. They may look less impressive than the US bars or Hyde "M" bars for instance, but they're just lovely to ride with. Transformed the ride on any bike I fitted them to. They were perfect on the 66 UK Bonnie I sold 2 years ago too. I think you'll be happy.

SR

1 member likes this: NickL
W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
I put the relatively flat "English" style bars (interestingly a single object has a plural name) on my 1967 T120R that came with the western style bars (it was a Johnson Motors bike that wound up in Maryland). I think the flatter bars are more comfortable and easier to lay the bike into corners. I put the same bars on my 1965 TR6SR and it handles easier and lays into corners better. The part number from Klempf's is "Part Number: 97-1871, HANDLEBAR, LOW, UK".

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/handlebar
handlebars are gripped with both hands, a handlebar is gripped with one. ???????

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by desco
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/handlebar
handlebars are gripped with both hands, a handlebar is gripped with one. ???????

What if it’s one long bent pipe, with a grip on each end?

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I use the EMGO 23-92401 European style low-rise handlebars on most of my bikes and IMO, are the perfect handlebars. They are on my Triumphs, Norton 750 Commando, and my 1974 Honda CB750K. Super sweet bars!!

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

1 member likes this: Hillbilly bike
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
TT handlebars

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks to all for the new replies. Looks like the low bars get a general thumbs up.

Dave

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
[align:center][/align]Hi Dave,
How much better are the UK barsfor my year at getting you to lean forward a bit?
Firstly, you're aware the actual 97-1871 "UK bars" are nothing like what's drawn in the '67 parts book? smile If not, the actual shape and dimensions are at http://www.britcycle.com/Products/Handlebars/97_1871.htm I tried the similar disc-brake version years ago on my T160 - horrible things, made me feel like my arms ought to come out of the middle of my chest. thumbsdown

Also I found the standard footrest position doesn't work with low 'bars - feet too far forward, exacerbated if you're tall; I'm not but I still have rearsets on the T160 with flat 'bars (Norman Hyde "M bars").

If you aren't aware of it, BCS has a webpage with links to dimensioned images of handlebars - http://www.britcycle.com/Products/Handlebars/handlebars.htm

I've 97-1870-type 'bars on my T100 but it doesn't use the screws-mounted horn/dipswitch so I was able to shorten each end, reducing the overall width, which makes them easier to live with.

would have to buy new cables I suppose.
Uh-uh, just route each existing cable around the front of the frame steering head; I always use "US"-length cables, routed this way with flatter 'bars.

wonder if the oil in frame ones are the same?
Yes and no. Later numbers were originally for 'no switch screw holes' and slightly longer for disc brake master cylinder. Unfortunately, a numpty at one of the wholesalers, tasked with reducing the number of parts, picked the drum-brake 26" width ... eek So the only difference now is whether the 'bars have switch holes or not, disc-brake, the twistgrip sticks out beyond the end of the 'bar facepalm but I appreciate that isn't an issue on a '67.

Hth.

Regards,

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks, Stuart. I am pretty short at 5' 4" so I don't get cramped on a 650 Triumph. Looks like you are the only one who doesn't like the low bars so far.

I think not sitting bolt upright might be better for my back but I don't want rear sets.

You say the UK bars aren't like the drawing in the parts book but I'm guessing that the ones available now are the same as those fitted to the bikes originally.

The 1872 500cc bars look quite different with no rise at all although maybe they are fitted twisted upwards? These would probably make quite a difference.

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 04/25/21 4:08 pm.
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I have a unit 650 handlebar, UK type, it's either 97-1484 or 97-1871, not sure which.

But the grip position reminds me of my pushing wheelbarrow, and I can't see it as being comfortable for distance riding..

Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
I personally like the 97-1870 bar, but the euro bar (65-4960) is very comfortable

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
I have a unit 650 handlebar, UK type, it's either 97-1484 or 97-1871, not sure which.

But the grip position reminds me of my pushing wheelbarrow, and I can't see it as being comfortable for distance riding..
They're often called "wheelbarrow bars" around here too. Long distance riding is comfortable, as most people will find. But not everyone of course, people are different, which is why even the humblest cars have adjustable seats at the very least. Very few bikes have much adjustability built in, but anyone can experiment with different bars.

SR

knuckle head
knuckle head
I have been using what they call Super Bike bars on all my bikes for many years. If necessary I cut them to 30 inches width...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons.."I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
1 member likes this: HughdeMann
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have the low Emgo Euro bars on both the 69 T120R and 67 Interceptor. The Triumph has a perfect riding position because it also has rear sets. The original "desert racer" bars on the Interceptor had me "bolt upright" as Dave said and I had that "just hanging on" white knuckle feeling. Even without rear sets the Interceptor is more comfortable and has a more relaxed and controlled feeling.

Al Eckstadt
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Dave,
I think not sitting bolt upright might be better for my back but I don't want rear sets.
That was another thing I didn't like about 'em on the T160 - did feel I was sitting quite upright, and I'm only a few inches taller than you.

[quote=dave jones]You say the UK bars aren't like the drawing in the parts book but I'm guessing that the ones available now are the same as those fitted to the bikes originally.
Triumph seem to have changed part numbers when they changed shapes so afaik, same part number '67 and today means same shape and dimensions '67 and today.

The 1872 500cc bars look quite different with no rise at all although maybe they are fitted twisted upwards? These would probably make quite a difference.
Yes, rider rotates them in the clamps to get the ends to the desired height.

C-range are shorter seat-to-'bars than either B-range or triples, so these aren't such a stretch as they would be on the bigger bikes. C-range got a new frame '67-on and uses more B-range bolt-on parts like the 'bars. Hyde's "M bars" are similar shape to 1872, albeit the final bend at each end of Norman's angles the ends a little closer to the bike, so master cylinder clears speedo. or tacho.

Hth.

Regards,

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks for all the new replies. Plenty to think about.

Dave

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com