Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Chip205
Chip205
Southeastern PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Mid 60's Bantam D7?
If any of you might be able to point to to where I can get one like it (whatever it is?)......any help will be appreciated.

Gordon in NC

bantam tank 2.jpg
Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/27/21 8:07 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Looks like a D7 (supreme?) tank. Quite rare with the chrome sides, they did some with painted panels instead. Capacity is about 1.8-2 uk gallons

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Tanks Allen........BUT......I didn't want to hear that "quite rare" thing smile and that chrome is a must.

Gordon in NC, USA

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/28/21 1:03 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Picked up one off of eBay........$61 plus shipping from Calif.

I have no clue....... but will soon.

Gordon in NC, USA

Bantam Tank 1.jpg Bantam tank 2.jpg

1 member likes this: PINEMONKEY
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
NICE find, Gordon. That tank looks really good...

I had one mounted on a C15S "poor boy's" flat tracker long ago... it is a look. Lotsa folks could not figure out just what the hell model that bike was.

You'll be the first on your block, gar-ohn-tee.

Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Steve.....that photo of the red bike is the only one I’ve seen with that tank mounted on it. Kinda scares me a bit since that fellow mounted the front fender backwards?? I think??? But the tank mounting looks doable.

I’m going through a major purge at home......”almost” everything that’s not a BSA unit single has to go. I lost focus and all my bikes suffered because of it.

I’m curious about it.......figure there was only way to have an opinion. I do like the look. I got REALLY lucky on the tank don’t ya think? Owner was selling a rolling D7 along with it.

Photos to follow.

Gordon in NC. ( aka pud)

PS........damnit now I’m wondering if I didn’t see a photo of that C15S you’re talking about.......the more I think about it...I think I have????

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/03/21 12:04 pm.

Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Already starting a punch list.

Install B44R 204’s engine and put the sidecar back on the road.

Swap the 19 tooth CS sprocket on the B58 to an 18.

Return the C25 to its stock gearing. ( chain and sprocket). That was a waste of time. I need to stop thinking I can outsmart those engineers.

Mock up my daughters tribute bike ( B40E with some upgrades)

Mock up Bantam tank to frame, possible use for that cafe seat I got years ago, maybe add an XS front end with disc. Lace up a rear QD hub to one of the new alloy shouldered rims to match the front........use the Ed V engine???

Amazing what ridding yourself of the complications you caused in the shop can do to your attitude.

Gordon, proud to be getting back to being one of the BSA unit singles guys after a short trip down the wrong path.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/03/21 3:05 pm.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Keep up the good work. Do you have EI in the B44R?

Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Originally Posted by LarryLebel
Keep up the good work. Do you have EI in the B44R?

Hey Larry, hope you and yours are safe and healthy.

I used the stock points set up on that bike. Yea, even the condenser inside the points housing set up.....ugh. BUT, that bike did literally 1000's of miles like that.

I use/used EI on my B50, C25, B25 Trials and at least a couple of B44VS's. I've been happy with them all. About the only real problem I had was on my B25 Trials.....brand new Husky kill switch was faulty and would ground out intermittently. Took ages to diagnose and I "think" it had something to do with the Boyer Competition unit going bad.....or at least not working correctly.

On the recent rebuild of the B44R's engine.....( my sidecar rig)....I'm going with a newer type Boyer ( from EdV)

I saw where you were trying to let yours go.....still got it?

Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/03/21 7:46 pm.

Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Be still my unit single heart.......it looks promising.

Gordon

IMG_7850.jpg

1 member likes this: Bob E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hey Gordon, do you have a Gooseneck frame floating around? If so, try sliding that tank on it...

After doing that, I take no responsibility for any insane notions that may occur to you.

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
Hey Gordon, do you have a Gooseneck frame floating around? If so, try sliding that tank on it...

After doing that, I take no responsibility for any insane notions that may occur to you.

No sir........................I have to draw the line somewhere. laughing I have a few engines that went in the GN but no frames. I'm thinking the earliest frame I have here is the '64 ES I got from you.

Mounting looks pretty straight forward. I'll let it sit there awhile and see what happens. I'm going through another purge, this time it's all the Yamaha stuff leaving. Once I'm past that and get the sidecar back on the road......I should have a plan for that tank.....I have several options.

I need a mockup engine in the frame to help decide what I want to do with it. 250, 350, 441???? One of these days an EdV engine is going to show up here....441 but I'd like to do a 350 this time around. Just don't see as many of those on the road.

Gordon

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The poor little Bantie tank probably couldn't handle the mighty 441 under it... 350 sounds right.

Who is that masked rider?... and what the hell is he riding?

Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Right now I'm up late pulling what little hair I have left out trying to figure out what I did wrong to this 78 XS650. Clutch problems.......worked fine until I messed with it going after a bad starter gear. Got tomorrow to get it sorted and on the back of a truck headed to Florida......wish me luck.

Quick look says.......two tubes welded to the top of the frame? Large enough for some rubber tubing for cush? Tank lines up with the seat.....but I need to see it with an engine in the frame. That frame and seat are spoken for.....I have others but am running out of ones with center stands. I'll post up some other options once I'm past this Yamaha Hell. What was I thinking????

I have a couple of side points 350's ( not counting the 64 ES) and would like to put one in something.

pud

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Hey Gordon. Yes I still have my B44R. I've only had a couple of interested parties, maybe because of the pandemic.

Life Member
OP Online Content
Life Member
Larry, good to hear your still kicking ( unit single pun intended). I think we’re in a buyers market right now. Several unit singles are up for sale on FB marketplace in my area and all are reasonably priced.......but they are not selling. Your bike is a very nice example. I love the video of you cold starting it. Just the opposite of some other videos. Why in the world would you post a video of you starting a bike that takes 20+ kicks to start???? and seem proud of it. There are several videos out there like that. Those people need to put the camera down and pick up a wrench!!

Take care, stay healthy.

Gordon in NC, proud to be one of the BSA unit singles guys. “ It’s just a Victor”

Last edited by Gordon Gray; Yesterday at 01:59 PM.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com