Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Alex
Alex
Seattle
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#847167 04/26/21 8:02 am
gunner Online Content OP
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Yesterday, I finally managed to get my A65 out of the garage and spend some time riding.

The bike has been standing in the garage for at least 6 months and apart from an occasional battery recharge I haven't done anything.

As expected, all of the oil from the tank had drained into the sump and also made its way into the primary. I drained the sump and found the usual grey matter on the sump plug. I also unscrewed the primary oil level socket cap and waited a while until the excess had drained. I'm not sure how the oil finds it way into the primary, maybe the drive side bearing seal is ineffective?

Next job was to pump up the tyres, the front always seems to loose pressure and was down to 10psi, the rear wasn't too bad and was at about 25psi.

With the drain bolts reattached and some fresh oil in the tank, the next step was startup.

I ticked both carbs and swung on the lever, the bike spluttered. Next attempt she spluttered a bit more, more carb tickling and a third resulted in a full start, I snuck her into gear and we were off. The Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol I had filled up with last year had done its job and hadn't gone stale as it's ethanol free.

I spent the next hour or so riding round the local roads and checking the performance and stopped for a brief photo opportunity, see below.

Looking at the pic I can already see a few jobs need doing, the chain needs tightening, the tank isn't level and some cables need tie downs.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
2 members like this: pushrod tom, RobJP
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
well done!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
1 member likes this: gunner
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
I found good Dunlop rubber cable straps on E bay, dont get the cheap type , they dont stretch. There is a cunning way to fit them so the cable does not rub paint away. The strap is first looped round the cable and through itself, then the tails are attached to the frame member.
My tyres were low at the front , almost spot on at the back.
Your bike looks good.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
gunner Online Content OP
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the info Gavin, I will give it a try, sounds like a good solution.

One of the other things that needs fixing are the fork gaiters which have split in multiple places, I've already bought the longer lasting replacements and also some new stanchions. I've been putting off the job for ages but should be able to get stuck in soon.

Meanwhile the B44 has been out several times and is receiving some attention to the brake switch adjustment. The Norton is sitting with the timing cover off waiting for me to fit its new Andover Norton oil pump in an attempt to fix its wet sumping issues.

Hopefully by summer all three bikes will be on the road.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com