Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#847082 04/25/21 8:41 am
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
I'm sure this has been asked one thousand times, but a lot of information I've found online always seems to contain a lot of guff that confuses things. I just wanted to confirm and he sure.

I've converted my 1965 side points C15 to 12 volts and swapped the original rectifier to a Podtronics type of reg/rec.

Looking at the wiring, I know that two of the three wires for the alternator are joined to one of the yellow wires on the reg/rec. The remaining wire from the alternator is joined to the other yellow wire of the reg/rec. The red goes to earth.

Where does the black from the reg/rec end up? Does this run to the ammeter?

Many thanks in advance.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Courtney,
Originally Posted by courtney
Podtronics type of reg/rec.
two of the three wires for the alternator are joined to one of the yellow wires on the reg/rec.
Alternator Green/Black and Green/Yellow wires.

The remaining wire from the alternator is joined to the other yellow wire of the reg/rec.
Alternator White/Green wire.

The red goes to earth.
The Red goes to the battery positive terminal. thumbsup

Standard "positive earth" mean metal bits of the bike are connected to the battery positive terminal. So there is nothing gained (but much potentially to be lost) by connecting the reg./rec. Red to a random bit of bike and then expecting another electrical connection possibly as old as the bike to complete the circuit. thumbsdown

Where does the black from the reg/rec end up? Does this run to the ammeter?
If your bike has an Ammeter, connect the reg./rec. Black wire where the rectifier DC output was connected - Brown/White wire?

Hth.

Regards,

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
That's great, thank you! I appreciate the straightforward answer.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com