Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership
New Sponsor post
2022 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/28/21 6:22 pm
New FAQ post
How To: Add attached images in between text
by Morgan aka admin - 10/03/21 9:46 am
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
No Name Man
No Name Man
SE Ohio
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 82
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
koan58 20
Newest Members
Pratty, AndyW, ChrisTriumph3, GLENN'S PLACE, Smartfella
11,876 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (konon, trig, Steve Erickson, MarcB), 28 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Yes, I guess now days it is, but it sure is a nice smelling band aid. Or maybe it is a safety net?

But these bikes with a C/R higher than 9 to 1 were meant for 100 octane and race gas is a solution for shorter rides. I use it in all my dual sport BSA's and have not had any piston seizure or holing problems in over 15 years.

It is simpler and more accessible to many of us than re-designing these old engines with dual plugs and quench areas.

Triumphs on eBay
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Ok, just re-set the points. The gaps were off and the right side was maybe 2° past the fully advanced mark. I set them both to about (just eye-balling it) 2° retarded until I get this sorted. No test drive yet.

New question for you guys that haven't been away for 35 years; What is this part? It was in the parts box that came from the original owner in the early 90s. Everything else in there had a place on the bike except this. It seems like a tank mount from an earlier model? It looks well used (and well rusted).

Attached Images
005.JPG 004.JPG
Last edited by BAinLA; 04/14/21 1:56 am.

1972 TR6RV
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
Yes, I guess now days it is, but it sure is a nice smelling band aid. Or maybe it is a safety net?

But these bikes with a C/R higher than 9 to 1 were meant for 100 octane and race gas is a solution for shorter rides. I use it in all my dual sport BSA's and have not had any piston seizure or holing problems in over 15 years.

It is simpler and more accessible to many of us than re-designing these old engines with dual plugs and quench areas.

Thanks for the tip Stuart Kirk. I actually don't have a pinging problem. The points came loose on the 2 freeway and I pulled off and "fixed" them temporarily and finished my ride. I'm going to keep my ears open and make sure there is no ping in the future, a little difficult with an open face 1/2 shell helmet but that's another issue. Brian

1972 TR6RV
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by BAinLA
...... I'm going to keep my ears open and make sure there is no ping in the future ....
Yes. As the weather heats up and your riding gets more spirited, you will probably get some pinging. So keep that race gas in mind. It's expensive but our old bikes love it. I like the peace of mind myself.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by BAinLA
What is this part? It was in the parts box that came from the original owner in the early 90s.
A mounting clamp plate for an accessory sissy bar or a rack? Maybe for a tool pouch?

Last edited by Stuart Kirk; 04/16/21 3:52 am. Reason: typo
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
Originally Posted by TR7RVMan
What ever happens don't let bike ping at all....You let it ping at all, it will hole a piston very quickly
Running race gas helps a lot BA. The pinging vanishes! You can buy it at the pump from the Alliance station on Chesebro Rd just off the 101. It's 103 unleaded. I use it all the time and fill a 5 gallon can whenever I am by there.

Thanks Stuart Kirk, I may take a trip out there for 10 gal. if they still have it. Edit: Just checked , they have it. Will cost me $97.50 for 10 Gallons (plus $6 in gas for transport. Taking another look at just retarding the spark and de-carbonizing. -BA

Originally Posted by desco
Race gas is a Band-Aid not a cure.

desco, I agree. Until I get the carbon out and the mixture better, I think I will try this during the summer heat. Had to stop and knock the points plate back a couple degrees last ride but it still tended to ping at the usual rpm/throttle opening.

Originally Posted by desco
If that bike idles with the screw all the way in there is something wrong with it.
http://www.jba.bc.ca/Bushmans%20Carb%20Tuning.html

Got that sorted. Now more like 1 3/4 turns out.

Last edited by BAinLA; 09/07/21 12:25 am.

1972 TR6RV
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com