Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Derbyshire UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#846068 04/14/21 3:20 am
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
This is the six spring T140 KTM clutch that I just assembled. The chainwheel runs on a double row bearing so it will not wobble around when the pressure plate is lifted. Yamaha basket cushions (readily available from Barnett), set of KTM 450 plates, needle bearing lifter.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
After I test this I will finish the Belleville spring version. Uses more KTM parts so less machining cost. Interestingly, the KTM uses an aluminum hub with multi-splines. The typical Japanese clutch has a steel insert in the hub. However, the trade off of making a new mainshaft with multi-splines for the clutch out weighs the cost of making the steel hub with the keyway.
The unused ring outside the sprocket teeth was for the starter gear but since everyone disliked the change it required to the primary cover I dropped it.

1 member likes this: bon
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hello; just yesterday I was thinking in the Duke models clutch (that I do not know if there are the same) and the possible adaptation to a T140 with those super thin but lots of friction discs and possible the anti hopping stuff too? Those PASC are kind of a quickshifter?

What is your opinion?

Thanks

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Looks great. Belleville spring- do you mean a stack of "washers" where the coil springs are or a big 1 piece diaphragm kind of thing? Do you think the stock springs aren't up to the job? Looks like you made the pressure plate, too?
Definitely interested......

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Stock KTM pressure plate and Belleville spring.
No point in reinventing the world when quality parts are already available. A pressure plate is $17.25. What does an aluminum Triumph twin pressure plate go for?
Made the chainwheel, basket, hub and pressure plate. Even with six "precision" springs it is difficult to find a set that lifts completely square. Certainly could not make that style pressure plate for what the KTM pressure plate goes for.
The Duke clutch uses trapezoidal slots in the hub. Difficult to do without die casting. The late 450 and earlier 525 uses round pins in the hub for the driven plates. KTM uses a dished end plate to soften the engagement.

knuckle head
knuckle head
Dave, is that a bolt on clutch set up?. Triumph alloy plates are 40 bucks or so...And they don't do anything but look pretty.....

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons.."I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Direct replacement. Probably not making more of this style. The Belleville spring style is less complex and slightly lighter.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by DMadigan
Direct replacement. Probably not making more of this style. The Belleville spring style is less complex and slightly lighter.

...and perhaps less hand strength required for us older guys with some hand or joint issues? Talking about the Belleville spring version. Mark R.

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
What I meant was the whole assembly will be lighter because the steel hub will be smaller diameter and weighs 11 oz less. However, the Belleville spring does go over the knee of the force curve and reduce load like the Norton clutch. KTM's spring retainer has three levels of preload.

1 member likes this: MarksterTT
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Can you do a dished basket? (A65?)

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Need to do an A65 clutch also, not sure it has to be dished, just realign the teeth on the chainwheel.

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
I should have checked the mounting first, this is the A65 version. The damper retaining plate on the back of the chainwheel hits the screws of the sprocket door on the T140.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Have you got a shot of the the back, i will need to know if
it will clear the outrigger plate.
A drawing would be even better.

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
I have to clay the space between the hub and door. The drawing shows 0.252" from the door to hub. The chainwheel and hub are the same depth to 3" diameter (A65).

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Sorry, 0.052" from door to hub. T140 engine sprocket is 0.165" outboard of the case, the door is 0.972" inboard.

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Here is the T140 version with the correct offset. Hub and drum are the same as the A65, different chainwheel offset.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
dave
i have a '16 ktm 350 and a '17 husky 501 and although my t140 clutch is fine, this is extremely interesting (like everything triumph - and bikes more generally)
my 350 has a rekluse auto cutch in it - looks like this would also be an option here
must admit i never thought there would be an interfaace between my new dirt bikes and my classics
keen to understand more
rory

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com