Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
64 a65 motor. Bob newby belt drive. There two widths of spacers used behind the clutch drive sprocket (pulley now) on the crankshaft over the years. Not sure which one I should use for the belt drive setup. Supplied Installation instructions sucks..
Thanks

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
knuckle head
knuckle head
In before the long winded discussions...., the pulleys need to be lined up exactly especially if they have side rails...Use a straight edge and select the appropriate spacer. It's that easy

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
1 member likes this: JER.Hill
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
In before the long winded discussions...., the pulleys need to be lined up exactly especially if they have side rails...Use a straight edge and select the appropriate spacer. It's that easy
Oh duh,
don't have the gearbox in -so couldn't set the basket up -so couldn't line up the pulley and basket -so couldn't pick spacer
I was putting the cart before the horse as they say...
Thanks

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You have the spacer which passes through the oil seal, that should be the same for all years.

Then fit the pulley,

Then fit the supplied spacer. I’ve had 4 of these pulleys and they all seem to be somewhat different in the internal width so ensure that you use the supplied spacer at this point. Then insert the woodruff key (usually this has a recess in the spacer to help the key fit in. Then fit the alternator rotor.

Dont forget to use the supplied studs and spacers for the alternator stator. (Check first what thread form studs you have received. You might need different ones if using a pre 69’ motor) I think they come with unf/UNC studs.

Also check for alternator gap when finished.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
The spacer comes in 3 sizes I thought, but I may be getting confused with Layshaft spacers. Definitely more than one size though.

Gavin
You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It does not need to line up exactly like the chain does. So long as the belt rides near the middle of clutch wheel it is ok.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by pushrod tom
It does not need to line up exactly like the chain does. So long as the belt rides near the middle of clutch wheel it is ok.

I think your using the 40mm belt Tom?,

The baskets are all the same but the 30mm belt (for road bikes) sits closer to the back of the basket, you probably have about 1-2mm of basket that you can see at the back of the belt, and a whole lot more at the front side of that.

Originally Posted by wbabojo
The spacer comes in 3 sizes I thought, but I may be getting confused with Layshaft spacers. Definitely more than one size though.

I beleive I am on about item 5 on the diagram, I don't beleive these ever came in more than one size.

A65 spacer.JPG

1 member likes this: gavin eisler
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I use the 30 on NA bike and 40 on turbo.

1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by pushrod tom
I use the 30 on NA bike and 40 on turbo.

Thats good to know, do you have to front pully of the same width to match? I have the 40mm kit for the race bike (for when it eventually gets done) but only used the 30mm on my road going bike.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes, the 40 uses a wider pulley.

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
"I beleive I am on about item 5 on the diagram, I don't beleive these ever came in more than one size."

I was referring to the same spacer in the diagram too, and they definitely come in at least 2 sizes. I know, I have them. I'm sure I've seen some NOS ones on Fleabag.

Gavin
You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by wbabojo
"I beleive I am on about item 5 on the diagram, I don't beleive these ever came in more than one size."

I was referring to the same spacer in the diagram too, and they definitely come in at least 2 sizes. I know, I have them. I'm sure I've seen some NOS ones on Fleabag.

Well I won’t argue, if there is a thicker or thinner spacer though it must match up with a different crankshaft sprocket. I knew there were different ones one these but this was for the timing disc for the ET models. That or the offset on the early clutch setups is different to the later 3 spring type?

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
The early motors used 2 different (select on assembly) spacers.
Later models used shims and one thickness spacer.

1 member likes this: Allan G

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com