Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
demonfonzarelli
demonfonzarelli
Southern Ontario, Canada
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
P
69 Lightning A65L:

Replaced stock AMAL 930 Concentric Carbs with Premier versions & installed new cables. Everything else on bike is stock.

With the threaded cable adjusters on carb tops all the way in and carb idle screws all the way out, It looks like the inner cables are at-least 1/8” too short to allow the slide to bottom-out. (I have a 3500 rpm “idle”.)

I double-checked the cable part nos to make sure they are correct – Part no 60-0813. Outer length 38” x inner length 42” Purchased from Draganfly It's an Emgo Taiwan part.

Does this commonly happen? Should I try to stretch the inner cable or shorten the outer cable some way or what?

Thanks in advance,
Paul Stuverud

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have shortened outer cable with a Dremel tool when I experienced this problem.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When I had Mikunis on my A65 I always had to make my own cables.
Unless someone happens to make cables specifically for your carbs, get used to it. Soldering is a good skill to have.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sounds like your using cables to fit in ferrule tops going into a carb top which has the adjusters? you'll soon know if the cables also have mid-way adjusters in them.

If they are the type with mid-way adjusters, they are better! you'll be better off long term swapping the carb tops than to swap/modify the cables

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

50+ years experience
50+ years experience
Cables are frequently problematic, especially throttle cables. Triumph unit twins with Concentric carburetors used "top-hat" shaped ferrules on the end of the throttle cable to be fit directly into a drilled hole on the carburetor top cap, and were adjusted by way of an inline threaded adjuster. Cables designated specifically for BSA unit twins have a plain ferrule on the end and the threaded adjusters on the carburetor top caps are retained for cable lash adjustment. Often times, especially when non-stock handlebars are fitted, a universal throttle cable is called for to solve the fitment problems. We offer a 53" universal throttle cable from Barnett which includes fittings for custom applications, or when an original cable is not available. Soldered universal brake and clutch cables are subject to high loads and are more difficult to solder up to handle the load reliably, but throttle and choke cables, which are subject to lighter loads are relatively easy to make.
-Dave

[Linked Image from tbsphotos.s3.amazonaws.com]
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
i generally make my own as its impossible really for me ever to get the correct ones as i prefer european bars which are lower and shorter. barnett used to make a cable terminal and ferrule assortment for british and us bikes, they also sold brake,clutch and throttle cable in bulk lengths. i still have a bunch i got from domie racer ages ago. i use a solder cup and a electric iron with 50/50 solder. never had a quality related failure.most of the time ferrules and terminals can be reused

Last edited by jaycee; 04/10/21 12:42 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
http://www.flandersco.com/FlanCableSearch.html
These folks have everything you need to build cables.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com