Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Vetterdog
Vetterdog
Central NJ
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
do you have a high beam or dip beam warning lamp on the headlight shell? i'm questioning my 66 spitfire - has none. one owner of a lighting states he bought his 66 from the original owner w/ 500 miles - original and hasn't changed a thing, and he also does not have any such lamp. my 66 instruction Manual shows a lamp and also the wiring diagram, however the parts Manual shows none. so, 66 owners only - do you have a high or dip warning lamp on your headlight shell? thanks....

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My 1966 Lightning had no warning lamps at all in the original headlight. Just a light switch and ammeter as shown in the 1966 parts book.

I have fitted my bike with a later headlamp shell with the later toggle switch, ammeter and warning lamps for oil pressure and main beam.

As I don’t have an oil pressure switch on the engine I am using that warning lamp for ‘lights on’ function, although at some point on the future I would like an oil warning lamp and preferably an oil pressure gauge.

Cheers,

Kev E

O
Ola Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Like this?
[Linked Image from oseose.webs.com]

There are no bosses in a technical discussion
(Doug Hele, 1919 - 2001)
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi,
Originally Posted by joe czech
do you have a high beam or dip beam warning lamp on the headlight shell? i'm questioning my 66 spitfire - has none.
my 66 instruction manual shows a lamp and also the wiring diagram, however the parts manual shows none.
If it's the same as '66 Triumphs, early don't have any idiot lamps, middle have one, late have two ...

Originally Posted by Kevin E
fitted my bike with a later headlamp shell with the later toggle switch, ammeter and warning lamps for oil pressure and main beam.
would like an oil warning lamp
Red idiot lamp wasn't used for oil pressure warning 'til '69-on; before that, the bulbholder just had a White wire (so energised when the ignition switch is turned on) and a Red wire, so the idiot lamp was just an 'ignition on' warning.

When two idiot lamps were fitted, it depended which colours a given production-line worker pushed the bulbs into - a bike could have red 'ignition on' and green 'high beam' ... or the other way 'round ...

Hth.

Regards,

1 member likes this: Kevin E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Stuart
Red idiot lamp wasn't used for oil pressure warning 'til '69-on; before that, the bulbholder just had a White wire (so energised when the ignition switch is turned on) and a Red wire, so the idiot lamp was just an 'ignition on' warning.

When two idiot lamps were fitted, it depended which colours a given production-line worker pushed the bulbs into - a bike could have red 'ignition on' and green 'high beam' ... or the other way 'round ...

Hth.

Regards,

I have wired my 68 like this, it should have main beam warning only but the shell had two holes. Also I used to leave the ignition on by mistake and come back to a flat battery.

The only issue I have now is getting "helpfull-types" come up to me whilst Im sat on the bike and ready to go and squark "arr' your oil pressure light is on mate" then spend 10 minutes trying to explain to people that I've wired it as an ignition warning as it doesn't have a oil pressure switch.... But at least I don't have a flat battery now.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: Kevin E

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com