Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Bikeosaurus
Bikeosaurus
Canberra, Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#844981 04/03/21 2:34 am
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Probably jumping ahead a bit but I've got a pile of lightning and thunderbolt heads to choose from for my motor build. Previously I've been running the lightning setup and been happy with it. Between my lightning and my mates thunderbolt there is marginal difference though, besides mine having a little more pep off the light. I was planning to go with a thunderbolt head for the simplicity of a single carb however I REALLY like the twin carb setup. Just feels more sporty even though I know it's marginal. Now the question is what difference would running a 932 single as opposed to the 930 make? Single 932 vs single 930? Single 932 vs twin 930's?
I tried a forum search cause I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times but didn't see anything. Anyhow.. thanks!!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
standard it's a 28mm carb on the t'bolt.
Makes a flexible nice riding bike, go up on carb size, why?
My one is good for a ton, although it's a bit slow up there after 90.

1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As Nick said, if the pennies are tight I’d fit the 930, but if I do have or can afford to get a 928 you’ll find it will make it a much better bike.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by Allan G
As Nick said, if the pennies are tight I’d fit the 930, but if I do have or can afford to get a 928 you’ll find it will make it a much better bike.

You’re likely to end up buying jets and slides, trying to get a bigger carburettor to work.

As well as wasting fuel on many many test runs.

And then buying a 928.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think the OP is thinking of performance.

Running one 928 will give a more responsive motor in the lower to midrange where you spend most of your time.

The bigger the carb the more airflow you need to make it work

If winning race the to the ton is imortant, go twin. If you want a nice rider go one 928.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?
knuckle head
Online Content
knuckle head
From my experience, a larger flatslide Mikuni will function well at lower speeds with the correct jetting...Larger as in a few MM..
Also from my experience, every properly tuned dual carb Triumph I rode seemed to have sharper throttle response above 3000 rpm than any single carb carb....But I never roll the throttle faster than the engine's ability to accept more throttle....

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
+1 on the 928 - I spent ages trying to get a 930 jetted and set-up right but it never worked smoothly across the rev range whatever I did.

The 928 on there now works a treat!

'67 A65 Thunderbolt
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
Originally Posted by Allan G

You’re likely to end up buying jets and slides, trying to get a bigger carburettor to work.

As well as wasting fuel on many many test runs.

And then buying a 928.
Ha! Noted.

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Richrd
I think the OP is thinking of performance.

Running one 928 will give a more responsive motor in the lower to midrange where you spend most of your time.

The bigger the carb the more airflow you need to make it work

If winning race the to the ton is imortant, go twin. If you want a nice rider go one 928.
Thanks!

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com