Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Bikeosaurus
Bikeosaurus
Canberra, Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#844596 03/30/21 3:33 pm
F
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
F
I own a 1968 A65 Lightning and a 1968 B44. I have limited knowledge of these bikes but have worked on them to some extent. I have various books etc that explain how to work on them but they leave a lot to be desired if you are at my experience level. I have replaced the clutch plates on the B44 and have question about the difference between the clutch/kick start differences between the B44 and the A65. The A65 will allow the engine to be kick started with the clutch disengaged, even if in gear. The B44 will not allow the engine to kick start with the clutch disengaged. In other words the B44 will only kick start the engine if clutch is engaged (therefore must be in neutral). The A65 does not care if clutch is engaged or disengaged. Is this the normal operation of these bikes or is something wrong with one of them.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There is something wrong with your A65. Both should only be able to be kicked over with the clutch lever untouched (clutch plates forced together by the clutch springs and so clutch engaged) and in neutral if the rear wheel is touching the floor.

F
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
F
Thank you. Any idea why this is happening, as clutch seems to be working otherwise?

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
You clutch must be stuck.

The kicker turns a gear within the transmission. With a working clutch, the transmission is only connected to the engine _if_ the clutch is engaged. Disengage the clutch and you separate the connection between engine and transmission.

On other bikes, the kicker bypasses the transmission and turns the clutch basket which is always connected to the engine. In that case, it doesn't matter whether the clutch is in or out; the kicker will always turn the engine.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Fred Mills
Thank you. Any idea why this is happening, as clutch seems to be working otherwise?

What do you mean by "working otherwise"? I would think, if the clutch were stuck, which it appears to be, you would get a terrible slam and stall the engine when you put the bike in gear.

You may be able to free the clutch by putting the tranny in gear (I'd suggest 2nd), pulling in the clutch lever, and violently rocking the bike forward and back. If that doesn't succeed in freeing the clutch, you'll have to take it apart.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
F
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
F
My bad. Clutch is stuck. I had not started in a while and assumed clutch was OK. Thanks for you all helping me. I will try and be a little more deliberate before jumping to conclusion next time.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com