Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Semper Gumby
Semper Gumby
Atlanta, GA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 66
quinten 65
DavidP 52
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
Allan G 17
DavidP 17
Newest Members
neilhart, Dguzzi, Peter McCarthy, Seb Clare, Trevi
11,779 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Dr. Z, Stuart Kirk, robcurrie, Bob E, Les Binnell), 32 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C.B.S Offline OP
Parts Dealer
OP Offline
Parts Dealer
Appears to be on some applications that you may have to run a diode

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Come on guys, let's hear some long-term reviews ! Diode or no diode I need to know if the pattern through a stock lens is adequate or better. Is the brightness blinding oncoming traffic on a dark night? Do they flicker? Do they last? Are they worth the price? -BA PS- What is an "ET machine"? ty

Last edited by BAinLA; 01/29/21 1:42 pm.

1972 TR6RV
S
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by BAinLA
PS- What is an "ET machine"?
ET means Energy Transfer. It was used on competition machines and provided 6V alternating current to power the lights. The original lighting was weak so ET guys would appreciate an easy upgrade to bright LED lights if possible.

A non polarity conscious LED bulb sounds like it would fit the bill because it implies that it will work with + or - ground systems. Since AC power continually changes from + to -, it's possible a LED bulb would work but I don't think anyone has reported on this yet. Magnetoman may at some point report his findings because he is curious about the possibility himself.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
Originally Posted by BAinLA
PS- What is an "ET machine"?
ET means Energy Transfer. It was used on competition machines and provided 6V alternating current to power the lights. The original lighting was weak so ET guys would appreciate an easy upgrade to bright LED lights if possible.

A non polarity conscious LED bulb sounds like it would fit the bill because it implies that it will work with + or - ground systems. Since AC power continually changes from + to -, it's possible a LED bulb would work but I don't think anyone has reported on this yet. Magnetoman may at some point report his findings because he is curious about the possibility himself.

Thanks for explaining that to me Stuart.

I'm not very interested in theory at this point since I have a bike sitting here that I can't (won't actually) ride until I replace the burnt out BPF Lucas 370 45/35 bulb. The guys that purchased LED for a stock config. classic need to report back, please! -BA

Last edited by BAinLA; 01/29/21 10:44 pm.

1972 TR6RV
50+ years experience
50+ years experience
I spent some time deciphering the 446 LED issue and found the answer which I tell our customers about. If your bike has a high beam warning light you must fit a diode to it to let the low/high beam switch work. The warning light path let's the LED decide the power is coming from the warning light instead of the switch (remember it's logic chip is looking for positive or negative ground). Install a diode between the warning light and its ground so current cannot come from the ground to the LED. I recommend the small spade fuse type used for Ford air conditioning compressors as using an in-line fuse holder keeps the assembly small enough to hide in the headlight shell.

[Linked Image from tbsphotos.s3.amazonaws.com]
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by The Bonneville Shop
I spent some time deciphering the 446 LED issue and found the answer which I tell our customers about. If your bike has a high beam warning light you must fit a diode to it to let the low/high beam switch work. The warning light path let's the LED decide the power is coming from the warning light instead of the switch (remember it's logic chip is looking for positive or negative ground). Install a diode between the warning light and its ground so current cannot come from the ground to the LED. I recommend the small spade fuse type used for Ford air conditioning compressors as using an in-line fuse holder keeps the assembly small enough to hide in the headlight shell.

Great, thank you sir. When I do the upgrade I will do just as you describe. Still not sure what to use for a lens/reflector but I'll worry about that when the time comes.-Brian

1972 TR6RV
W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Can someone explain what wire in the headlight shell should I be looking for to install the diode?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Morgan aka Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com