Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Went Racing With Mike Baker, Tom Sanders and Dave Kaufman at Kershaw SC last weekend here...

2020 09 04 South Caroloina Motosports Park Kershaw SC.JPG
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks once again to Saint Baker for letting me ride his B50 in Production Light Weight. Here is the reason why..

The tank that ate my race. Supposedly repaired West Coast Hornet oil tank. I'm betting this there is nobody who can repair this tank. The company that attempted instead of replacing metal like I was told they would, leaded up the holes and epoxied the thing up and sent it back. Of course in previous races it leaked. I'm guessing this tank will never go on any bike again. No matter in the last week I have found three tanks.

Can you say "No Structural Integrity"? I knew you could.

2020 09 02 The Tank that ate my race.JPG
Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/07/20 5:19 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Friday AM: Pitted next to Scott Olaff and Barry Crowe from Asheville NC and Greenville SC respectively so I could get free power from their neighbor. Scott lent me an Indian part for a breather set up on the Hornet Last Year at New Jersey. This day I returned the part to him. Truly nice people.

Unfortunately the new transmission started jumping out of second and massive oil leak ended there week end on Friday (that's racing) and they left before Mike and Steve arrived.

2020 09 04 Scott Olaf and Barry Crowe pits before practice Friday.JPG 2020 09 05 023 Ft G. Carolina Motorsports park Kershaw SC.JPG
Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/07/20 5:48 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Mike and Steve Fowler arrived to set up the bike pits about noonish Friday.
Stan Keys talking to Mike. A veritable stream of racers came by the Baker Pit on Friday afternoon.

2020 09 04 Mike Baker and XXXXX in the pits Friday.JPG
Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/07/20 8:38 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I think I did two practices on the B50 Friday learning the track. Don't have any pics but here is one of my Saturday times...notice the guy below me.

2020 09 05 022 Practice session 2 times 1st Time out for me.JPG
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Kershaw is a fun track the pavement is new and there is lots of space to pass, make mistakes, go fast and have fun. It has a nice wide open back straight from corner 8 down to 11 with 10 being "the Kink". The kink has the distinction of you can be wide open going through here except there is some rough pavement on the inside (where you want to apex the corner). Bumping rough pavement leaned over at the 6000 grand red line in fourth gear on a B50 is exciting. It took me till Sunday to keep my wrist pinned wide open in this corner.

2020 09 05 Mike Baker Pits Saturday Morning.JPG
Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/07/20 6:17 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Saturday was two more practices on the B50. Met this guy Rune Haraldsson and his son in the pits sometime that morning. Nice Bultaco.

2020 09 05 002 Rune Haraldsson and Son in the pits.JPG
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
And then Racing: First thing I got to do was "Hold" for Tom Sanders in Race One. Race 1 was a Le Mans start which is really cool. The racers come out and do their warm up lap while the "holders" cross the track and go to the cone for their racer. Wouldn't you know it...well I wasn't a tristadecaphobic and I think neither was Tom but...

The guy on the left in the last pic is Tom waiting to run across the track to me holding his bike for a bump start. This was fantastic fun...

2020 09 05 006 Gettin the holders out for race 1 (9).JPG 2020 09 05 006 Gettin the holders out for race 1 (8).JPG 2020 09 05 026 Holding for LeMans Start Race 1.JPG 2020 09 05 020 Tom Sanders arriving for Le Mans Start Race 1.JPG 2020 09 05 Race 1 Lemans Start Tom Sanders.JPG
Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/07/20 6:55 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
So the 13 thing well Mike went out for race two and came right back in. I've got video of me saying "Oh shyte" with Mike at tech pit off. Clutch gone. Mike was PO'd because he wanted to race the B50 and the only person who had ridden it in to days was me. Oi!

Mike went and did Race 3 on the Triumph 650 and then we spent the rest of the day rebuilding the clutch in the B50. By Race 9 it was fixed with no slip on the dino and ready to go. For some reason he once again handed me his B50 and I got to race. No pictures of me racing but here is the starting grid. I started on the back row of the Light Weight Production class because I had never raced in this class before. Finished second. Note the race winner wink (See above)

Mike told me to go easy on the clutch on the start. So I slipped the clutch not and hole shotted a bunch of the second and first row peeps on the start and finally got the third place guy #703 coming out of turn 7 when he went wide. This was just in time because on Lap 4 coming into turn 4 I got too see a new set of twisting scraping marks on previously pristine pavement from the entrance of turn four past the apex of turn five to the outside grass between five and six. Standing there next to his red bike laying on the side was one (so I was told) #7 Dave Roper. I crossed Start Finish to see a Red Flag. Since this was Lap 4 of 6, the race was over and that was a checker. I never knew or saw who the class winner was but I may have seen his back side crossing start finish as I made the final corner. But later I found and met #22B Tim Terrell.

2020 09 05  005 Starting Grid Race 11 FINAL.JPG 2020 09 05 021 Race 11 Finish Order Back Row to Second #59c.JPG
Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/07/20 7:23 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
No practice for me Sunday as Mike (bless him) finally got to practice the B50. Another LeMans start with Tom after replacing his battery after practice. And then Mike doing Back to Back races on the B50 in race 2. And then jumping on the Triumph in the pits with help from Rob Hall on Race 3.

The AHRMA gods took pity on me and let me line up on the Pole of row 5 with Saturday's winner Tim Terrell on the Pole of Row 4. He looked back before the start as if to say I know you are there. So at least I knew who the competition was and there was nobody to go around in order to stay with him. Which I did till turn 4ish and then he walked out about 200 yards in front of me and stayed there for the entire race.

So I had fun but there was nothing I could do to draw Tim Terrell close. Braking deep didn't work (The B50 has the best conical brake I've ever used). Keeping the throttle pinned going across the washboards in turn 10 didn't work (lizard brain verses civilian brain). Catching the draft off Alex McLean #122 didn't work (really fast rider in the second wave - him and two of his friends passed me in turn 5 in the Saturday race as well really close on both sides).

But it was fun never the less.
Because the day was Glorious.
The pavement was perfect.
And I was racing.
And that alone is beyond my wildest dreams.

2020 09 06 018 Race Times and Position Race 11.JPG 2020 09 06 016 Race finish Order Race 11.JPG 2020 09 06 009 Mike Baker Swaps Bikes Rob Hall in pits for Race 3 (7).JPG
Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/07/20 8:45 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Video Start of Race 3 Mike Baker and Dave Kaughman in the Classic 60's 650 group in the back.

Can you say Glorious Day...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gc8rvgz5n...ve%20Kaufman%20Race%203%20Start.MOV?dl=0

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
In the afternoon post...Thank God!

Oil tank for a West Coast Hornet.

IMG_1665.JPG
Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/07/20 9:12 pm.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
It was nice to see you finally get in a serious weekend of racing, Bill. Your enthusiasm (and everyone elses) is what makes this business fun.
As for me, it was good to see Jake H back on the track after almost 2 years. He didn't forget how to get it done with 2 wins in 650. I took a 2nd on Sat and a 3rd on Sunday, trading places with Dave Spanger each day.
Gumby's bike was a DNS for the weekend so he rode the B50 in lightweight production. I figured he'd have a better chance there because he's got about 30 pounds on me, and I'd ride it in heavyweight prod. Saturday was a no-go, Took the bike out on the sighting lap to discover the badly slipping clutch already mentioned. It was making a bad noise, too. A primary strip revealed a toasty clutch and a primary chain adjuster in 3 pieces. Clutch plates got a clean and sand, and decided that the chain slack was acceptable without the adjuster in place. It all worked and the bike held up to the abuse for the rest of the weekend. Tim Terrell also races his lightweight bikes in hvwt and we always seem to have good races. no different this time. Took a close win from him in heavy.
The Triumph did well after discovering I hadn't tightened a rocker adjuster. Need to have a talk with my mechanic.... And get back those 7-8 horses I lost when it blew up this spring. There's a plan but it's top secret for now.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Hey guys!

I was there too. Racing Jason Bessey's old bike. Still getting my "sea legs" coming from a Honda CL175 to a Triumph.

The support from everyone is appreciated.

After struggling with mid-range issues at Gingerman, it was nice to get out on a familiar track with a good running bike.

I ran BEARS on Saturday and switched to Classic 60's 650 on Sunday, where I fit in better. Bike ran well until the
last lap and my Electrex Rotor disintegrated. I haven't dug in to diagnose if it is a defect or a residual issue from when I went down on the left side at Loudon 2 weeks ago (maybe alignment?).

https://www.facebook.com/alan.feinman.3/videos/10220866478964708/?t=6

Last edited by Big Al in York; 09/08/20 12:38 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Supar cool. Sorry to hear about the Electrix. I still have a stk-012 in the Hornet. So nice when set up. The one in my race Firebird got replaced with Pazon digital when the stk-012 died in it. I may try the digital with the rev limiter.

I need to get a Britbike.com banner or flag for these events. It would be nice to put faces to names...

1 member likes this: Big Al in York
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
No report this year?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
...The B50 has the best conical brake I've ever used...
Did I pit next to (or 2 slots over from) that same BSA thumper bunch at Grattan in 2008?

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Think it's time for you to write the reports, Alan

1 member likes this: Big Al in York
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
But I'll do a brief one-
Kershaw was c c cold this year. Rained kats and dawgs thursday, cold front blew in Friday and stayed through Saturday, temps in the low 50's with 10-15 kt wind. And with the morning temps in the high 30's, the cold track made victims of the careless.
For me, the 650 ran great, turned some 2:01 times on the 2.5 mile 14 turn track. It'd be great to string more of those together but I'll take what I can get.
Took a third on Sat behind Jake and John Rickard on his fast Norton. Sunday I got a second behind John (only .4 seconds) and Jake took third. Stan Keys is a great rider and competitor who started strong both days but retired early from clutch woes. Regardless, it was close racing for all 4 of us. I'd like to be able to see 4 (or more!) brit twins honking down the front straight wfo someday, but for now it's way too much fun mixing with these guys.
The B50 is always amazing. Crazy how it goes around corners. I have raced it in heavyweight production this year even though it's legal for lightweight. I get smoked on the straights but make up time, lots of time, in the corners with it. But it's Achille's heel is it's clutch. Let me down both days toward the end of the race. No matter- there's a plan.
Ok, Alan. Your turn

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well I did not cover myself in glory although I did improve on my times from last year Saturday.

I was seriously undergeared after changing the rear from a 19" Heidenau to a 18" Avon. So great at the start and coming out of corners but rolling off the throttle on the straights. 7700 rpms is a bit much. Saturday I pushed it around and over-revved a bit and turned in a 2:05 time, about 4 seconds off the pace for fourth place.

Then Sunday morning I thought I'd go practice lines and dropped the bike on turn 5 which was wet and cold. Bike slid about 10 feet and stopped as the front wheel pushed out. The Old front heidenau was turning sideways. So Sunday I just went for a ride and finished sixth.

For the next race the Heidenau will be in the trash and fresh race 18" Avon will be on the front and hopefully I will have the right gearing again.

Still on the steep end of the learning curve.

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Thanks for the report! I'm a BSA fan and really enjoy seeing them in competition. Hope you can get the Beezer in shape and start chasing down the Turnips! PRT

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Ok, here is my story.

I had skipped Roebling because I didn't want to be wet and cold. Got to Kershaw and it was wet and cold.
It was ok, because based to my past experience freezing in my fiberglass trailer, I bought a Wolf Pup toyhauler. It was
nice having somewhere to go to get out of the elements.

Also, my son Matt, who usually comes along with me, got a real job (not working for me) and has limited vacation time. He stayed home and I
brought local fellow AHRMA racer Bucky Sexton along with me.

Practice on Friday was cold. I started out slow in the first session and built from there. Bike was running good.
Sometime in the third practice session the bike cut out and I glided off the track in turn 6. When I stopped, I looked down and saw flames coming out of my primary cover (it's open, dry clutch). I got of the bike, flipped up the visor and started to blow out the flames. Nothing was happening. I took of my helmet and was able to put the flames out.

Trailer came and took me back to the paddock. As I looked at my second melted Electrex ignition I figured I was done for the weekend.

I popped over to Adam Cramer's to tell him what happened. He dug around in his stuff. Usually he has some spare electronic ignitions, but this time all he had was a rough looking points plate, rotor, and one coil. I popped by Mike Baker's set up and he had an extra coil. I had what I needed but I was not looking forward to working in the cold and eventually dark to install points that did not look good.

More to research a permanent solution than a temporary one, I popped over to Hall Brothers to see what they recommended. Jake pulled out a box that he said he didn't normally bring and pulled at a Pazon ignition. He said "give it a try".

My pit mate Bucky, Mike Shumaker, and I removed the Electrex and installed the Pazon. Took it over for Jake to inspect. He timed it, said it had spark and sent me back to fire it up. We put it on the rollers and fired it up. I was back in business!

I missed the first practice on Saturday because I was still buttoning things up and I was in no hurry to get out there with the temperature at 34 degrees.
Got out for the second session and the bike ran better than ever.

After the long wait for Race 9, I had a decent start. During the last lap the bike cut out again. This time when I got back, it turned out that my loaner battery
was had a bad cell and dropped to 10v. Late night trip to Walmart and I was able to pick up a new battery.

I was able to complete Sunday's race with a strong running bike. Now I need to pick up 20 seconds a lap to be competitive.

I'm still getting used to going from a Honda 175 to the Triumph. All of the support from the guys in the class is appreciated!

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...t=pb.1621471018.-2207520000..&type=3[/img]
[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10222236755700770&set=pb.1621471018.-2207520000..[/img]

Last edited by Big Al in York; 03/29/21 10:47 am.
1 member likes this: pushrod tom

Moderated by  Allan G 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com