Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
I always say if you use a shop enough times they will screw up......I installed .020 timing bushing in the warmed case using a hydraulic presss. I told the shop to check the bushing and hone it if necessary to make sure it's round and has no burrs...Well they dropped the ball, the bushing has .0028 clearance when I asked for .0015.....The .0015 clearance was told to me by several BSA tuners....
So, will the increse in clearance cause low oil pressue issues?
Any of you have actual experience with these bushing clearances? thanks

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
So, will the increase in clearance cause low oil pressure issues?

Yes, you have double the leakage area so double the loss of oil out of the journal sides. So less flow to the crank and lower pressure.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Tony,
"Back in the day" 0.003" was reckoned to be the upper limit for clearance.
Greater than that it was new bush time and maybe reground crank journal depending on wear etc.
Sorry!
HTH

knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
oh ok, so at nearly .003 clearance my fresh engine is worn out before it's started..I'll get a solid bronze .030 bush, turn it close in the lathe , press it in and use the shop I used to use to hone it to size...It's only time and money....

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You could switch to thicker oil wink

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
Thick oil, lol.....something is strange here with a .010 Kibblewhite bushing that has not been honed should be 1.365..The crank journal measures 1.366....Maybe the mike's have been dropped too many times....will recheck with different measuring tools...

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Wasn't that John H. that said something like; a man with 1 micrometer always knows how big something is. A man with 2 micrometers never does.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Oh man, I would be so pissed at them! That's really frustrating...

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by leon bee
Wasn't that John H. that said something like; a man with 1 micrometer always knows how big something is. A man with 2 micrometers never does.

That's hysterical! 🤣

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Tony, A couple of things which may get me in trouble here. The bushing should not need to be pressed in. I heat the case in my outdoor grill to 300+ and have the bushing in the freezer. I made a tool that fits close ish in the bush. this provides a guide and holder. They are in the freezer as an assembly. Many times it just drops in. sometimes a light tap on the holder. While, in a perfect world, .0015 is fabulous so long as the thing is perfectly aligned, I don't think .0028 is going to be a problem. While 20-50 is kind of the standard, heavier straight oil can deliver more pressure. Since it is all apart why not tap for a pressure gauge. and do some experimenting? PRT

knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
Thanks Tom, I did tap for a port.....I just ordered a new 2 inch micrometer and small bore gauge..Slipping the crank into the case half it feels like less than .003....My local go to balancing guy says his balancer machine stands do not adjust for the difference in the crank drive and timing journals. Have to make a sleeve to equalize sizes on my 65 year old lathe .I will solve these problems....

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by leon bee
I'm doomed, I have three micrometers. Of course no two can be used to measure the same thing as they are 1", 2" and 3". I do need to practice with the reference slug to get the feel for how tightly to turn the barrel. I still haven't figured out how to shove a 0.002" feeler gauge into the gap without destroying the blade. I do wish that I didn't need to check the work of every machinist I hire.

Originally Posted by Allan G
Maybe some of that 70 weight aircraft oil that old Harley dudes use? laughing

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DavidP

You’d be surprised how many owners simply use a higher viscosity grade oil just to quieten the motor down.

Thii ok ugh choosing the right viscosity is important. There was a post on face-ache the other month where a fellow was stating he used something like 5-30. He was also one of those guys that was a mechanic for Aston Martini so knew everything about oil... or at least as much as what the autodata could tell him.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by pushrod tom
Since it is all apart why not tap for a pressure gauge.....? PRT
Excellent suggestion.

Look into 1/16" pipe fittings and tap because there it scant room and wall thickness to work with. 1/8-npt is just too big. Position your port to avoid the frame loop too.

1 member likes this: pushrod tom
knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
No problem on an A10 with 1/8 NPT, you have to know where to drill at what angle...

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
No problem on an A10 with 1/8 NPT, you have to know where to drill at what angle...
Glad it worked out.
I've drilled a few, usually from the lower front of the OP relief valve boss and those tiny little 1/16-npt fittings seemed a lot easier to work with.
Where did you drill?

knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
6 threads are enough in this situation.. I have junk cases I drilled first...

20210320_164240.jpg

1 member likes this: Stuart Kirk
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Yep, that's the spot. I must have been thinking of the A65 when I said "lower front."

Good thinking doing a trial run. You probably used a shortened tap to get the threads how you wanted them.

You are going to run steel rods if I remember right. That will help OP too because big end clearance doesn't grow as much.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Originally Posted by DavidP

You’d be surprised how many owners simply use a higher viscosity grade oil just to quieten the motor down.

Thii ok ugh choosing the right viscosity is important. There was a post on face-ache the other month where a fellow was stating he used something like 5-30. He was also one of those guys that was a mechanic for Aston Martini so knew everything about oil... or at least as much as what the autodata could tell him.

The last few years i raced my old beezer i ran R30 which is 30 weight, it was excellent oil as far as wear was concerned.
Despite everyone saying it's too light for 40+ deg ambient i never had any problems with oil pressure or smoking. It flows
great from cold which is really important. BUT then i never had any problems with pump petrol either whereas some say
you must run methanol here.
The main noticeable difference between the oil i used previously and the R was..........
IT SMELLS LOVELY.

2 members like this: pushrod tom, JER.Hill
knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
Yep, that's the spot. I must have been thinking of the A65 when I said "lower front."

Good thinking doing a trial run. You probably used a shortened tap to get the threads how you wanted them.

You are going to run steel rods if I remember right. That will help OP too because big end clearance doesn't grow as much.
I chose R&R alumunum rods because they are only 8 grams heavier than stock....I got to measure these parts

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com