Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
jimmymckenna
jimmymckenna
Scotland, UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Ha!

I frequently type with a Yorkshire dialect, although I have no idea what that is!

My diagnosis of my problems with the charging system have left a lot to be desired. Hopefully the new stator will be the last part to be throw at it!

We will see in a about 10 days when it arrives.

Wish me luck!

SteveG

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Good luck

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Well the stator and reg/rec will be new, so assuming the wiring is good, you will see some charging at some rpm. Hopefully the rotor still has reasonable magnetic strength, that will be the remaining uncertainty.
If the system voltage is at least 13V at 3000 rpm with the headlight on, I think you'll be ok.

R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
OK. Thanx guys.

Will post results.

SteveG

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Dave,
Originally Posted by koan58
concur with your statement:
Originally Posted by Stuart
... 'original Lucas' rated the RM21 for 10.5A @ 5,000 rpm and, as I say, the RM23 for 14.5A @ 5,000 rpm; 75% is 7.875 Amps and 10.875 Amps respectively, an extra 3A at low rpm is a bit more than "differ very slightly" on these old heaps.
You are however, placing much faith in the advertised figures.
The quote says "rated".

Triumph, BSA and Norton had enough faith to repeat the ratings (or the corresponding 120W and 180W) in their contemporary advertising (somewhere in the electric-start Commando advertising is "15A @ 6,000 rpm").

The standard Triumph workshop Manual test for an RM21 is minimum 9A AC @ 3,000 rpm with a 1-Ohm resistor between the stator wires; those more familiar with BSA and Norton workshop manuals can confirm what they used.

Promotional ads from Lucas in ~1980 did suggest that the 3-phase system would solve all my issues (which it did).
High-output 3-phase was advertised from launch in summer '78 with the previously-mentioned 75% and 85% @ 2,400 rpm, presumably to indicate the superiority of 3-phase. You placed faith in the advertised figures and have positive first-hand experience.

If the system voltage is at least 13V at 3000 rpm with the headlight on,
"13V" based on ...?

Regards,

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
"13V" based on ...?

A 12v system is actually a 13.8v system. Over 14v is required to charge the battery

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Andy,
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
A 12v system is actually a 13.8v system. Over 14v is required to charge the battery
Steve The OP's bike has a reg./rec. (the Podtronics of the thread title); if the battery is fully-charged?

Regards,

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Stuart:
“"13V" based on ...?”

Nothing terribly precise, only that it is a figure a little above battery voltage, so illustrating that the generated supply is exceeding the demand of lights and ignition (I guesstimate ~8A), which even the standard alternator should do (when new) at 3000 rpm (spec’d as 9A minimum).

My full post was:
“Well the stator and reg/rec will be new, so assuming the wiring is good, you will see some charging at some rpm. Hopefully the rotor still has reasonable magnetic strength, that will be the remaining uncertainty.
If the system voltage is at least 13V at 3000 rpm with the headlight on, I think you'll be ok.”

This makes it clear that the only remaining uncertainty was the rotor magnetism (which is highly unlikely to be as good as when new) but if the parameters in my last sentence were met, then the OP should be ok.
It seemed to be clear, straightforward English to me.

I would hope that the higher output RM23 will result in rather more than 13V in that test (with its supposedly extra ~3A at those rpm), but some of that anticipated extra may be negated by some loss of rotor magnetism. Hence my suggestion to actually test it.

Regards.

R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Anxious to receive the stator on the 25th. I will install the next day. Hope the wires will be cooperative, threading thru the case.
And the rotor is still magnetic.

That will tell the story, we will see.

SteveG

R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Anxious to receive the stator on the 25th. I will install the next day. Hope the wires will be cooperative, threading thru the case.
And the rotor is still magnetic.

That will tell the story, we will see.

SteveG

R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Charging problem solved!

Installed the Lucas stator. Fired first kick. Charges over 14 volts on fast rev. Perfect.

Wound up installing the 16 amp. stator, new battery, and Podtronics reg/rec

Probably didn't need the reg. The stator was the culprit. and now I have a spare reg. and that's fine.

Thank you all for the valuable input. I learned a lot!

SteveG

2 members like this: Allan G, courtney
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com