Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I HAVE BEEN HEARING FROM PEOPLE FOR YEARS WHO HAVE PURCHASED NEW GATORS/BOOTS FOR THEIR FRONT FORKS THAT HAVE FAILED. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY USE THEIR BIKES AND HAVE PURCHASED GATORS THAT ACTUALLY HELD UP TO REAL WORLD ABUSE. IF SO WHERE/WHO DID TO YOU PURCHASE THEM FROM?

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under restoration)
1975 Norton Commando Roadster (2100 miles)
2001 Kawasaki W650
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Poor quality rubber is everywhere. I recently bought a seat diaphragm for my Mini that failed in short order. I now have the failed diaphragm reinforced by part of a 60 year original diaphragm.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Mini's had SU's, diaphragm?

I've had a set of Harris ones on my t120 for around 5 years and they are still ok.
CBS give a warranty on theirs.

Last edited by NickL; 03/07/21 1:20 am.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I had a look on CBS the other day, my friend fitted the Wassel HD ones and they have fallen apart before the bike even started to gather dust.

I got mine from CBS, so was like get them from there (I think I’ve had them on about 4 years and they are still fine) but noticed the A65 and B25 ones on CBS are not showing as having the warranty. I’m hoping Kyle/Malcom can chip in with some good news?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

O
Ola Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
I will recommend BMW air head gaiters. I have a set that has been in service for 19 years.
Regards

There are no bosses in a technical discussion
(Doug Hele, 1919 - 2001)
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Hello Ken, l am having to change mine every year,l wonder if it is the modern oils that don’t agree with the rubber composition,
Just a thought,
Keep safe mate could get over when this lot goes,my memory tells me it’s your round.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When they fail after the bike hasn’t turned a wheel I doubt oil has anything to do with it.

If your lucky enough to find a decent original set they still stand up to the test.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The offending rubber does not have enough additives, its the sunlight and ozone that get to them. I have ones from MCE (no longer made) and Les Harris that do have the right additives as do Andover Norton Commando and Ariete gaiters (who make the BMW ones).

Ariete do a full range of sizes so maybe one of theirs can be fitted.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ken Rowark
Hello Ken, l am having to change mine every year,l wonder if it is the modern oils that don’t agree with the rubber composition,
Just a thought,
Keep safe mate could get over when this lot goes, my memory tells me it’s your round.
KEN,

I AM INQUIRING FOR OTHERS WITH THE IDEA OF GETTING THEM MADE. IF SOMEONE IS MAKING GOOD ONES THERE WILL BE NO NEED,
I WOULD ENJOY TAKING MY ROUND AND DOING SOME TRAVELING TO THE POND BUT MY HEATH ISSUES MAKES IT VERY DIFFICULT AND SORRY TO SAY IT IS GETTING WORSE. WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS AGAIN. THE BEVERAGES ARE ON ME.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
2001 Kawasaki W650
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Ken, you can accomplish upper & lower case by turning "caps lock" on and off. A bit tedious though...

Getting good quality fork gators is pretty much a crapshoot, as even conscientious parts suppliers will admit. I have a set of gators on my A65 now that have held up for a number of years. I can't remember where I got them, most likely from British Cycle Supply or Walridge Motors. It may be that I got lucky, or it may be that I used this stuff on them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2335378396...fyrKtPkimgPp5ym_dsMXzpTQHzxoC1xYQAvD_BwE

It's called P80 Emulsion rubber lubricant. We had some in the shop where I work and I tried it... great stuff, it works! I re-treat them yearly.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
AS I SUSPECTED THEY ARE USING A POOR GRADE OF MATERIAL EITHER OUT OF IGNORANCE OR JUST TRYING TO SAVE A FEW PENNIES.

2001 Kawasaki W650
1 member likes this: Gary E
Life member
Life member
Ken,

Best I've had are ones Made in England. I've sourced them from EAW motorcycles (EAWMC) and from Burtons (maybe 1 year ago). These have a rough surface finish and look like they are crap, but they last very well. For me they last 2-3 years, so maybe 10-15,000 miles. These are the best I've had. I just bought more gaitors from BBB and they were smooth, but still marked Made in England. So we'll see how they go.

I go out of my way to get the 'rough' looking ones when I can.

I've had cheap ones that don't last a year.

Haven't tried the Harris ones, but this sounds promising.

As Allan suggests the BSA ones kicking around from the various sellers who offer 'guaranteed' Triumph ones don't appear to guaranteed. Seemingly only the Triumph ones are available with 'guarantee'. I've had a not so good experience with some of those as well. Without wanting to dump CBS in it as they have been mentioned above, I'll make it clear that it wasn't CBS who sold those to me.

I was lucky enough to get a pair of NVT branded ones from eBay Oz recently. smile

Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
And it isn't just the fork gaitors. John Bull tie straps and foot peg rubbers with the square holes both do not last very long.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
1 member likes this: Allan G
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
We will be having more of the 97-3635 fork boots late this month to early this month

Made in the USA, we put a 10-year warranty on them

Also, the early BSA boot 42-5320 will be arriving, also made in the USA with a 10-year warranty

I keep close contact with the first 97-3635 fork boot pair we sold to a customer about 6 years ago...

No issues and looks as good as the day he installed them

(FYI, we do sell the 97-1645 also with a 10-year warranty)

Last edited by C.B.S; 03/09/21 5:23 pm.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
2 members like this: Allan G, Gary E
Life member
Life member
That's nice to know.

My preferred gaitors are the 42-5320 even though not correct for a 69 A65. Been following their availability closely and based on previous posts from John H I thought they were not (at least then) available as Made in USA items with decent materials. So, congratulations on getting those with a warranty.

You might want to check spelling in your 97-1645 listing ??
"No more cracking, no more rooting and no more ill-fitting cheap $19.95 fork gaiters." The first and last features I'm very happy about, but that might be an unwanted side-effect if sticking with the Australian vernacular. facepalm Do you mean no more rotting?

smile

Thanks
Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
THAT IS GREAT NEWS, I WILL [PASS IT ALONG.

2001 Kawasaki W650
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I looked on eBay, for gaiters approximating to the measurements required for my short Roadholders. No “classic,” British,” or “vintage.”

They’ve lasted well.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com