Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
BikeVice
BikeVice
San Rafael, Ca.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#841702 03/02/21 10:49 pm
M
Markie Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Can anyone recommend what temperature I should heat the head to before removing the guides? Thanks.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Markie #841738 03/03/21 8:38 am
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
The guides are made out of a bronze alloy, and as the expansion rate of bronze is very close to that of aluminium there are many who advice against using heat for guide removal. There's simply no reason to. Aluminium gets softer with higher temperatures, so it may actually become more susceptible to damage. I always press them out cold.

Installing new guides is different, I like to heat the head to about a 100C (212F) with the guides in the deep freezer (-18C) and the guides will slide in quite easily. If there's any indication of scoring in the guide bore, I use some sealer under the collar of the guide.

However, for some years now my favorite machinist has fitted K-Line guide liners to lots of old bikes around here, and from collective experience accumulated over these years, they do seem to hold up well. Not disturbing the guide to head fit is a good thing, and we're able to set the valve to guide clearances to very exact tolerances.

With the short rocker arms and relatively high lifts the sideways thrust forces transferred to the valve stems are high. To mitigate that I suggest buying a set of "Elephant Foot" adjusters from David Madigan. The factory added a similar system to the last triples, but the "EF" is far superior as it has a much bigger surface area, larger than the valve tip, and will slide over it while imparting very little sideways force to it. I believe David may be out of EFs presently, but contact him for an update. For such a superior piece of kit, it amazes me that so few have caught on by now. I have thousands of miles on mine, the clearances stay in spec forever and the former valve gear noise has subsided to a sweet rustle that's just an aural pleasure.

SR

Markie #841751 03/03/21 12:21 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Interesting, BTW Happy Birthday Stein!

Last edited by BigBars; 03/03/21 12:23 pm.

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
Markie #841783 03/03/21 7:14 pm
M
Markie Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Stein, thanks for that very interesting information.

Markie #842858 03/14/21 9:00 pm
M
Markie Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Stein, I just removed and replaced the guides as you suggested, worked perfectly! thanks, Markie.

BigBars #842908 03/15/21 8:17 am
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by BigBars
Interesting, BTW Happy Birthday Stein!
Thanks! I didn't notice this until now! I'm 64 which actually makes me a youngster on this forum! :-)

SR

Markie #842909 03/15/21 8:22 am
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Markie
Stein, I just removed and replaced the guides as you suggested, worked perfectly! thanks, Markie.
Nice Markie! Good luck with the rest too, and remember that if these engines can be a challenge in so many ways, they are extremely rewarding once sorted!

SR

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com