Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
royaloilfield
royaloilfield
Trenton, New Jersey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mrcarb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Would someone have any good suggestions about how to remove the center-stand spring.

Thank you in advance

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Undo the bolts and stand clear ?

I know it sounds flippant, but thats about the only technique I know.
(But haven't actually done it on a slimline.)
I've not seen anything in print about this ?

A good pair of pliers can stretch the spring out enough to install it,
but you have to be careful not to mark/scratch the spring doing this.
I've seen mention of inserting washers/coins in the spring to stretch it
out for an easy install, and this does work.
Not much help for a removal though ...

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
I don't have a featherbed framed Norton to look at, but I have always used a Motion Pro spring puller on my Triumphs, BSAs, and Commandos. https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0127 This particular one is ground down on the hook end, my last one is not, and looks more robust. Or you can go to a motorcycle accessories store that deals in motocross bikes, all of the modern ones use springs on their exhaust pipes and they will have brand alternatives--look for a welded one that looks strong, with a good T handle. Unless you are built like Arnold Schwarzenegger, you might want to sit down next to the bike with it on the stand, brace your foot on the stand, and pull--oomph!

The alternative, which may or may not work depending on the particular motorcycle, is to remove the pivot bolts, install the spring, and then use the center stand as its own lever and reinstall the bolts. Not as fast or simple as simply sitting on the ground and pulling it on with the spring puller.

1 member likes this: Rohan
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Thats a good suggestion, not actually come across that tool before.
Heard of them ...

I'd advise always tying down or supporting from overhead a bike before heaving on anything,
the chance of the bike toppling on you shouldn't be ignored...
Flesh heals, but dented metal/pride doesn't !!

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I have done this sort of job using a double loop of thin wire placed under the hook on the end of the spring.. I make the loop long enough to put a bit of broom handle through it with the end of the broom handle on a suitable pivot. Maybe a woodscrew in the handle to stop the wire loop from slipping.Then lever the broom handle up to pull on the loop.You only have to pull the loop about 1/2", and then use a screwdriver to move the spring hook sideways off the pin

If you can access the top of the spring down between the gearbox plates then you can do the job in a dignified position, and with the bike securely on the centrestand.

I agree with Rohan, you don't want the bike to fall on you and maybe get it damaged.

.EDIT Oops, I was just reading another forum and it seems that some slimlines locate the spring hook in a hole in the gearbox plate. My wideline seems to use a bolt with a waisted knob on the head ("spring anchor stud for centre stand part no. 06.7868"). The idea above may still work.

(Later) There seems to be no access from above if you have a magneto, and probably very little if you have a distributor.

Last edited by sammysnail; 03/08/21 1:13 pm.

1954 Norton Dominator 88 cafe - Yamaha wheels, Lyta tank ( project in progress)
1969 Triumph Bonneville
Currently 6 other non-Brit machines.
Past history includes 11 Brit and 13 non-Brit machines.
Some impressive and some just silly.

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com