Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Velo-Felo
Velo-Felo
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#840637 02/20/21 8:53 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Maybe saw it here.
You get 150 grit self adhesive sand paper strip or roll. After the drum is turned, spokes trued and new shoes installed to the backing plate. cut the sand paper to the width of the drum and stick on, doesn’t have to go all the way round. Install the backing plate with the shoes. Have someone hold the wheel while you rotate the backing plate.
This is suppose to arch the shoes to the drum.

I believe the author said you can mount a wheel and tire assembly to the bike. Then walk the bike around.

Anybody try this

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That's the way I do it.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That is better than nothing, of course you need to get the sand paper in there first so there is close to 0.5 mm (0.020") gone already so by the time you grind any high spot off the shoe (at a radius less than the drum due to the sandpaper) all further adjustment will be on activated cams.

I simply get oversized linings installed (in a modern compound to suit the drum material) then grind them to size in the mill and rotary table which avoids any form of power feed (as in a lathe) pushing the shoe sideways. (Radial cutting versed Axial)
It also means the ID and OD's are matched eliminating actual bedding in beyond not overheating the lining in the initial applications.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Les P; 02/21/21 5:59 am.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I use Villers Services in the UK, give then accurate drum ID, linerless installed shoe OD and they fit linings with 20 thou clearance to your measurements.

1 member likes this: Allan G
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
The last couple of sets i've done, i just used proper asbestos based old linings
and riveted them. I have tried a couple of modern linings and they are crap
compared to the old asbestos based ones. We don't have anywhere like Villiers
here that offer decent linings, all the relined shoes i've seen are done with car
linings and are miles too hard, i suppose if i had servo assisted hydraulic brakes
they may be ok but i haven't so i'll carry on with old ferrodo and lockheed while
i can still get them.

Life member
Life member
Nick

I use these guys in Sydney and the product on this page of theirs. Its very good.

https://bcafrictionmaterials.com.au...ials-data-sheet-mz-gold-woven-lining.pdf

It definitely wont be as cheap as DIY. Based on experience, but it leave the shite modern compounded linings for dead.

Ive heard that there a couple of places in the South of Brisbane that will do this material also but havent used them.

Cheers
Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Villers use the MZ gold linings, works very well and as good as the old asbestos linings of not better.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com