Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
So I pulled the exhaust off the Trident to install new gaskets on the sump cover and clean things up.

All bolts and bits came apart with no drama thank goodness and I'll shine u all the pipes. I did notice that the center exhaust manifold had a bit of soot blackening of the bottom of the flange as if it is not seated well.

I put it on a plate with 100 grit an gave it a quick figure eight to check flatness, sure enough it took a couple of rounds of dong that to flatten it, not a big issue really.

The issue is that I cannot seem to locate a gasket to replace the existing, looked in the trusty parts Manual and no joy.

I did a search on-line to see if I was just looking in the right place, pleased to find that I do not need that center manifold though, kinda spendy.

Anyway, any input here..? I guess I can use the old gasket but I would rather replace it.

Thanks much,
Rob

"They told me I was gonna have to work for a livin' but all I wanna do is Ride" - Jackson Browne

Current:
'75 T-160 Trident, '78 T-140 V Bonneville, '71 T100R Daytona, '13 Electra Glide, a garage full of Guzzis, '88 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Hawk GT, '84 RZ350 KR, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1969 Dalesman Trials etc and a '73 MGB for good measure... smile
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Robert Dentico
The issue is that I cannot seem to locate a gasket to replace the existing, looked in the trusty parts manual and no joy.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't one.

https://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/triple-top-end-gasket-set-t150-t160-a75-x75

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Ok, well then... The gasket that was installed is metal, I may just clean it up and reuse it however, in that the Triumph designers saw no need for one I guess I'll flip a coin.

As mentioned, the flange was indeed not quite flat, a quick hit with the sandpaper on a plate took care of that. I will clean up the surface on the head and perform a high spot blue test between the two and try to discern whether there is a flatness, therefore leak issue.

Thanks L.A.B.
Rob

"They told me I was gonna have to work for a livin' but all I wanna do is Ride" - Jackson Browne

Current:
'75 T-160 Trident, '78 T-140 V Bonneville, '71 T100R Daytona, '13 Electra Glide, a garage full of Guzzis, '88 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Hawk GT, '84 RZ350 KR, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1969 Dalesman Trials etc and a '73 MGB for good measure... smile
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Robert Dentico
As mentioned, the flange was indeed not quite flat, a quick hit with the sandpaper on a plate took care of that.

No spigot?
http://www.klempfsbritishparts.com/MANIFOLD--EX-STUB--CTR--T160-0
[Linked Image from klempfsbritishparts.com]

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

Oh no... Is this the stock/OEM configuration...? Oh, man.

Thank you for the information.

Rob

Current:
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Robert--what does yours look like?

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Robert--what does yours look like?

No spigot like the one posted... just flat across the flange that bolts to the engine. Wow, I had no idea. I'll take a shot of it in the AM.

Current:
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I could not wait until tomorrow... This is the center manifold from the T-160...

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Current:
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I am thinking that this is a shade-tree mechanic hot rod trick for porting... No...? Although the inside of the manifold does not appear to have been machined but, depending on when the modification was done the machine marks could just have been obliterated over time.

The gasket is copper, must be home-made.

This engine runs just flawlessly, the throttle response is spot on, smooth and crisp.

I am baffled.

Cheers,
Rob

Current:
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I just talked triples with a friend a couple of days ago. He has a T-160 or two and said he'd bought a replacement manifold not all that long ago, came just like the one you have, no spigot and a copper gasket! I bought a replacement chrome header pipe for my R3 several years ago, outer tubes were drilled and the center pipes were just stuck in the holes and welded and no fillets on the outside. That went back in a hurry! The horror, someone making substandard parts for our old bikes, bet you never heard that before!

Don R.

71 Rocket 3
72 B50 MX
66-71 A 65 Bitsa
96 Trident 900
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by D.W.R.
I just talked triples with a friend a couple of days ago. He has a T-160 or two and said he'd bought a replacement manifold not all that long ago, came just like the one you have, no spigot and a copper gasket!

Don R.

Hi Don,
Interested in whether your friend with the same type of manifold had any other information on it's origin. This one seems to have been a well done modification by an aftermarket manufacturer / supplier or possibly, by an enthusiast. The inside of the port does not have that "homegrown trimmed down with a Dremel" look to it... I could be wrong.

My feeling is that the Trident runs so good, no hesitation, pulls nicely etc. and I cannot help from thinking that the modified exhaust port must have something to do with that.

I am going to run it. Appreciate your input.

Best,
Rob

Current:

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com