Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ron T. in KY
Ron T. in KY
Northern KY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 79
quinten 58
DavidP 54
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 21
Newest Members
Paul_V, hammerhead, Steve W 1959, Bobpin, VWK740
11,759 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dave Comeau, Rob Smith, Stuart Kirk, quinten, Snakepitt, Doug P, Beach, Magnetoman), 25 guests, and 87 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
I’ve been looking for a genuine Thruxton without too much success. I see where two nice ones changed hands a couple of months ago and regrettably I was just too late. My hope is to find a cosmetically presentable VMT bike which is well sorted for real world use. I can still start my gold star and MSS but an Alton electric start would be a real plus (but that can always be done later). I’m not a newbie to old stuff and I’m ready to buy. Any leads are appreciated. Thanks. Tad Brenner Quincy, Illinois. My email is [email protected]

Last edited by Tadbrenner; 02/07/21 10:05 pm. Reason: Misspelling
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Just my opinion, but I think an electric starter scabbed onto what is suppose to be a no compromise production racer is sacrilege. That said, I was offered a disassembled Thruxton a few years ago and did not pursue it. First catch is it is in Canada. Second catch is it came with three other, also disassembled, Velocettes and a pile of parts. The price was enticing but I'm getting too old, have too many projects and did not want to deal with the hassle of an international border crossing.

Laurence Luce
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
I tend to be an originality guy, but I really like seeing bikes being used. It seems like a lot of bikes don’t use the original carbs. My Vincent prefers Mark 2 Concentrics over the originals. Ducati clutches have been hidden under covers and folks brag about how Altons keep their lights working. So long as original parts are retained and modifications can be reversed, I don’t get too excited if a practical modification is made. Twenty years ago I was having difficulty getting the original carb to work on my 1933 Brough. Someone said, “why don’t you try a mikkuni”? I just grinned. A month later in frustration I grabbed an old Mark 2 from the self and put it on....the bike starts easily and runs perfectly. The wrong carb has been pretty right for two decades now. I’ve had my share of basket cases and now I’m looking to enjoy a Thruxton. All the best.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com