Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
BikeVice
BikeVice
San Rafael, Ca.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
knuckle head
knuckle head
The often quoted 10 psi per 1000 rpm is just an an opinion from years ago. Many engines would not be happy with 30 psi at 3000 rpm during heavy power loading. And many engines never need more that 60 psi no matter what the rpm or load...It's really a matter of engine design...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
1 member likes this: NickL
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Big D Cycle in Dallas can do your triple crankshaft correctly. They did mine several years ago. I was at the same point at that time. 35-40 psi hot at 4000 rpm, around 10 at idle. John Healy responded on another forum to my post and recommended redoing the bottom end. On tear down the main saddle bearings were worn but not completely shot. Crank was reground 10 under and new bearings fitted. Also an NOS oil pump and new OPRV from SRM. Oil pressure is now 75-80 hot running and 30 at idle. I wouldn't say a triple engine was any harder to work on than a twin. Only tricky part was fitting middle piston. Install in block first then put the rod cap on through the sump opening in the bottom of the cases.

Last edited by htown70; 02/14/21 5:49 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi

For what it's worth, I recently purchased a oprv spring from LPW 1.5"

Regards

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The older I get, the faster I was
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
3000 rpm on a triple is lugging it--they do not come on the boil until about 4500 rpm.
So--warm up the engine slowly and then ride it keeping it on the boil at over 4500 rpm and you will be able to postpone bottom end work for a while.
If you have 35 psi at 4000 rpm then you are under the level of the rule of thumb and should seriously consider getting the bottom end done before you have a disaster.
Fine judgement required!

W
Woodsie Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
I appreciate everyones insight and opinions, good stuff. Thanks. I can't wait for Summer

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com